The Intercooler Thread

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
that size is fine, you won't have any problems with the bumper or impact beam either

G

Unregistered
But what i was wondering is, would a 600x300x76 really cool any better if I was only running up to about 12psi and I didnt cut the intake any bigger in the bumper, wouldnt about 1/4 of a 300 high cooler be covered by the bumper anyway?

G

Unregistered
Someone asked me today, if they could use a class 18 PVC Pressure pipe to plumb up their intercooler, besides the fact that it would like shit it made me wonder how hot is the air comming out of the turbos, because I told him it would prob melt the pipe. So can any one tell me these 2 things how hot does the air get and is there anywhere in Perth that would make or use alot of ali pipe that we could get cheap or even scab through their scraps to do our intercooler piping, since there does not seem to be a great varity of after market kits avaliable for our cars.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
poly is fine to to use... im using it at the moment as a bend to the factory piping (its all i could find that would make the bend! no sign of melting and it works a treat!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
What is the heat tollerance of that PVC?

On a hot day under boost before the intercooler intake air temps get very hot... And the higher boost you run, the hotter it will get (air heats up under pressure, which is why you need an intercooler in the first place). PVC isn't designed for extremely hot air - your problems aren't just a question of melting, but if it will start to break down and give off potentially flammable fumes... Now THAT would be Bad :(

Also remember that maximum load conditions won't be experienced every day - your PVC may well be ok 99% of the time, but driving uphill flat out on a hot day for 60 seconds may well expose the weakness of the material where normal driving never could, and you won't know about it until its too late. Personally not something I'd want to do, but if its something you're considering I recommend finding out what its heat tollerance is and what it will do as it approaches that maximum threshold.

The other problem with using PVC is turbulance - you want as little turbulance in your intake piping as possible. The simple reason is higher turbulance = lower performance. So the smoother and longer the curves, the cleaner the inner surface, the better and tighter the joint fits the better.

G

Unregistered
I just found out today that we have a pipe bender at work so when im ready for it i will just get a few meters of alloy pipe and bend however it needs to be.

G

Unregistered
I took the support bar out all together, whether that was a good idea or not is still in the air, but I dont plan on hitting anything or getting hit anytime soon :rolleyes: :D :p.........I have a 600 x 300 x 76, its fits perfectly!!
;)

Attachments

• DSC01027%20%28Large%29.JPG
    DSC01027%20%28Large%29.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0007_renamed_12598.jpg
    IMG_0007_renamed_12598.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 238

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ooh i like it.. also the front bar.. that's the one I'm planning to get in the future..

G

Unregistered
Not sure if there's a pic in this thread already, but I took this on the weekend so you can see for yourselves how tight the fit of the factory cooler is. You can see why anything thicker needs a cutting of the impact bar.

img0139kw7.jpg

G

Unregistered
you can mandrel bend on any pipe bender

no you cant, a mandrel bender bends the pipe so the pipe has a continuous diameter,

a press bender bends the pipe, by crushing one side slightly and streching the other, which makes the tube narrower at the bends, which restrists flow.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Do you guys think that core size of 560x180x65 is to small ?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Top Bottom