automatic problem

G

Unregistered
hay guys went on the antilag cruise last night and came across a problem ...
its as if the clutch is slipping and it really judders its awfull . noticed on another thread on here that some one said its common with autos

whats hapning exactly and wil it cost a heap to fix??

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as the first question that comes to everyone's mind

have you serviced your transmission lately? also with what brand f oil?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Josh, a few more details would be good.
Which gears does the "slipping" seem to happen the most?
Have you done a full flush of the transmission fluid yet?
Does the N (neutral) light on the dash flash at all?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What oil and what colour is it? If it hasn't been changed, then you need to.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
If its under warranty, and the dealer offers to pay, take it to this place:

Bailey Automatics
U3/ 11 Geddes St
Balcatta WA 6021
(08) 9240 1470

He knows his stuff.

If it's up to you, then listen to what these guys above are saying, it may well be something quite simple like an oil flush and a cooler.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Have you had a read through THIS thread from the index?

Read through that first, then post up the details the boys have asked for :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Found the post

Do you have shuddering at low RPM, slow or laggy gear changes when in automatic mode or the Torque Converter seems as though it is locking or locking intermittently?

YOU NEED A TRANS SERVICE!!!!

Either you are using incorrect trans oil, the oil is old and has broken down, you don't have enough in your gearbox, you have been too lazy to fit a trans cooler and it is overheating or some/all of the above.

And the response from the guru of all things VR-4 -

Mitsubishi SPIII or Amsoil ATF with Amsoil being the choice of the 2 are the ONLY oils you should be putting in your gearbox.

And if you have a problem, get it fixed ASAP or you'll end up with an auto gearbox in the state mine is ;)

G

Unregistered
1st and 2nd is slipping its been serviced 5000 ks ago. checked the oil and its all clean and at the right levels . its passed the dealer waranty bye a week. theres no neutral light flashing . im taking it to get it serviced tomoro ...

cheers

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
I have the same problems, 1st and 2nd slip =[

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
hrmm, if you have new fluid and its still slipping that doesnt sound good... if the auto has to come out you're generally looking at $1000 labour plus the cost to repair whatever is unhealthy in the box. You may be up for ~$2,500 rebuild by the sounds of it as it seems the clutchpacks may be shagged :(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Probably the low reversre clutch pack has burnt/worn out like so many of us....

The cushioning spring breaks and allows it to slip causing it to rape itself

Costing me $1500 to do mine with a rebuilt torque converter but prices have varied substancially depending on where you go

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Dawso - just to clarify, was it just the the Low/reverse clutch pack and torque converter you had done as part of that $1500? Reason I ask is at low speeds my auto seems to have trouble getting into first, i.e. its almost a soft clunk getting from 2 or 3 back into first if I try to accelerate away from about 15km/h. Shifts are fine, especially from standing start. Also if you come to a complete halt and then take off its fine, but if rolling slightly get the clunk. Your thoughts on whether this may be the clutch pack slowly giving way?!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dawso - just to clarify, was it just the the Low/reverse clutch pack and torque converter you had done as part of that $1500? Reason I ask is at low speeds my auto seems to have trouble getting into first, i.e. its almost a soft clunk getting from 2 or 3 back into first if I try to accelerate away from about 15km/h. Shifts are fine, especially from standing start. Also if you come to a complete halt and then take off its fine, but if rolling slightly get the clunk. Your thoughts on whether this may be the clutch pack slowly giving way?!

Hey Lee,

Torque converter, LR clutch pack pack, LR wave/cushion spring, 15L ATF and labour. Wasn't a bad price i thought :)

I got the clunk before mine got done and the shifts were fine :(

Next service, just make sure they don't pull chunks of steel from your box like stephen showed in the AT thread

I hope for your sake its not :(

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hey Lee,

Torque converter, LR clutch pack pack, LR wave/cushion spring, 15L ATF and labour. Wasn't a bad price i thought :)

I got the clunk before mine got done and the shifts were fine :(

Next service, just make sure they don't pull chunks of steel from your box like stephen showed in the AT thread

I hope for your sake its not :(

Ahhh damn, I thought so :( When my first trans went poop! I was undecided whether to rebuild or to get 2nd hand. Went the 2nd hand route as it worked out cheaper for me ($1k total cost) but now seems that wasn't the way to go... oh well. I'm saving my $$ now - rebuild will be due by middle of the year I'm guessing! :wanker:

Seems like I'm going to be Australia's second most experienced Wa51 Destroyer (behind mitchy!)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Good old auto boxes. I'm still trying to put money aside incase mine dies out this year.
I get the 1st to 2nd "lag" change as well but this is only when it's cold. After 10 minutes, 1st into 2nd is fine.

One thing i do notice is when changing from 3rd to 4th, the light on the dash will indicate it has changed to 4th, but still in 3rd for a half a second then the gears change.
Who has this, as well?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Good old auto boxes. I'm still trying to put money aside incase mine dies out this year.
I get the 1st to 2nd "lag" change as well but this is only when it's cold. After 10 minutes, 1st into 2nd is fine.

One thing i do notice is when changing from 3rd to 4th, the light on the dash will indicate it has changed to 4th, but still in 3rd for a half a second then the gears change.
Who has this, as well?

I get this too Dimi. Also in the opposite, when going downhill, the light will change from 5 to 4, but the actual gear shift is slightly delayed. If it's bad enough that it will flick from 4 to 3, you actually have enough time to flick it to tiptronic & upshift to cancel the gear change.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Josh I went past a auto trans place in Spearwood, saw ur car there, the dude who didn't seem to know much, nor like imports said, "The transmission is f***ed and is gonna cost $4000 to fix"

Did u go to Baileys? That dude there seems to know his stuff, has worked on verada 5-speed autos and evo 5-speed autos, which are the same as ours, unfortunately he mysteriously seemed reluctant to work on mine at all, so I went elsewhere.

Keep looking around mate, there's gotto be other places...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
^$4000?! Someone's getting jipped already. And they haven't even started work yet.
Any money they'll say we had to do this and had to do that so the total cost is $6450 for the rebuild.

Go elsewhere man. Don't pay over $2600 including transmission R&R.

G

Unregistered
hayy guys thanks for all the help the transmission shop said its fuked n $5000 to get a rebuild so that sucks . butt stewart from freo auto imports/ my dealer. is getting a front cut from victoria and im geting the gearbox of that its onli done 37000kms so in the end im paying $2600 for the install and box . end ov story hopefully... thanks

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
hayy guys thanks for all the help the transmission shop said its fuked n $5000 to get a rebuild so that sucks . butt stewart from freo auto imports/ my dealer. is getting a front cut from victoria and im geting the gearbox of that its onli done 37000kms so in the end im paying $2600 for the install and box . end ov story hopefully... thanks

$5K!!!! Pfft.... Hope you told him to stick it up his arse

Did the guy tell you what the EXACT problem was?

Top Bottom