ECUFlash Definitions

blinkerfluid

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
the Default VR-4 7202 ROM is one I pulled from ClubVR4. The other OEM Black is the file I pulled from my 7202 ECU when I first plugged it in. the only difference I can see at my rudimentary understanding is the changes in options under Periphery0 Bit 13... there could be more, but I'm getting way outside my knowledge set.

Attachments

• Default VR-4 7202 Auto TCL - EM2005.hex
    128 KB · Views: 2
  • oem black MD340289_2.srf
    128.3 KB · Views: 3

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
That's insteresting. I also do comparison on both your rom file. The mystery "OEM black MD340289", containing additional header information from 0x0 to 0x00000144, and afterwards, all the addresses are shifted. I am curious why OpenECU still could read the data correctly by the shifted addresses.

ECU rom different.jpg

blinkerfluid

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
That's insteresting. I also do comparison on both your rom file. The mystery "OEM black MD340289", containing additional header information from 0x0 to 0x00000144, and afterwards, all the addresses are shifted. I am curious why OpenECU still could read the data correctly by the shifted addresses.

“OEM black MD340289” is the ROM I saved when I first installed that ECU. Literally plugged it in, hooked up the laptop, and saved the ROM. Is there a chance that the .srf vice .xml file type can account for the header info and shift in data?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Extra header is cos its a srf file. First 0x144 bytes are header information that ECUFlash puts in. This info doesn't get flashed onto the ECU.
If it did, it wouldn't fit in the flash, and the ECU wouldn't properly boot as the vector table isn't at address 0x0.

The two files are identical in a hex editor except for config/index/calibration 0 has TCL turned on (which isn't standard so someones modified this)

In your case, both ROMs are using calibration 2, so really TCL functions are already enabled as per your screenshots.

You said the stock rom file is working? Then just use that as your base.
Doesnt really explain why one rom works and one doesnt.

I think you are better to find a rom that is working, then copy table values to it.

You can open two roms in ecuflash, and will highlight tables that have differences.

Last edited:

blinkerfluid

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Extra header is cos its a srf file. First 0x144 bytes are header information that ECUFlash puts in. This info doesn't get flashed onto the ECU.
If it did, it wouldn't fit in the flash, and the ECU wouldn't properly boot as the vector table isn't at address 0x0.

The two files are identical in a hex editor except for config/index/calibration 0 has TCL turned on (which isn't standard so someones modified this)

In your case, both ROMs are using calibration 2, so really TCL functions are already enabled as per your screenshots.

You said the stock rom file is working? Then just use that as your base.
Doesnt really explain why one rom works and one doesnt.

I think you are better to find a rom that is working, then copy table values to it.

You can open two roms in ecuflash, and will highlight tables that have differences.

I’ve been running the ROM that is happy with my car. Don’t know what was going on with that ROM from the ECU I got, and don’t know enough to figure that out.

Actual photo of level of tuning knowledge.

1715373749338.png

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual

@blinkerfluid I would be doing this given you indicate the car performs differently between the two. You seem to be chasing the "performance" out of the ECU which is throwing the TCL light?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Should probably elaborate...

Open both roms, then under the file menu use the compare rom function.

Tables with different values are highlighted.

This works best when the two roms use the same definition. This is because the comparison between tables is based on the tables name and naming for tables is inconsistent.

Top Bottom