Engine bay wiring clean-up + interior ideas

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
So after dropping the transfer case on my head (ouch) my motor is out. now im just left with the crusty as stock wiring, apart from redoing the stock split wrap and tape im also looking at maybe trying to tuck a lot of the wiring while i can. plan of action is to add some length to some of the wiring so i can run them below eye level rather than over the motor. any thoughts or has anyone done similar?

plan of attack would be to depin the stock plug, change to a universal deutch / weatherproof plug, extend the wiring as long as i need to then reinstall the stock plug at the end

is there anything that i shouldn't touch? i know some sensors can be calibrated based on the length so ideally want to leave them alone

also wanting to install a dedicated switched and perminent 12v feed for all my other accessories (guages, dash cam etc). dont want to use a fuse tap so thinking of using the 12v ingition off the head unit, run that as to the coil of a relay that has a perminent 12v using a spare spot in the factory fuse box.
then going to install some form of terminal block behind the glovebox so its easily accessible and hidden with a perminent, switched, ground and illumination so if i need to add anything else i can just wack it straight in.

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Recently retaped my loom with cloth tape.

From memory, knock sensor wire is shielded, other than that you should be able to extend them.

You can buy the plugs for the ignition barrel plug.

I made a small loom with a female and male plug that plugs inline with ignition barrel. Then tee'd off permanent, acc and ign1 wire to a fuse box

NSNO_RJB

No Idea what i'm doing
Premium Member
First Name
Ronan
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Tha
Recently retaped my loom with cloth tape.

From memory, knock sensor wire is shielded, other than that you should be able to extend them.

You can buy the plugs for the ignition barrel plug.

I made a small loom with a female and male plug that plugs inline with ignition barrel. Then tee'd off permanent, acc and ign1 wire to a fuse box

Thats a good idea actually. Would that then run of the ignition circuit or you run that to a relay so it's all separate?

Top Bottom