190-200kW - What to do?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
So I have done a lot of reading on the staged mods and dyno figures but I can't really figure out what I should be doing before just a basic tune, hoping for around 190kW.

The car is a daily and I don't want to start breaking any driveline stuff, just want to get a tune so she runs well and makes a bit more power.

Is touching fuel something I should be doing? Fuel pump and injectors?

Currently I have a FMIC, 3" catback and Evo X metal BOV. Before a tune I will be doing a high flow cat and 3 port but not really sure what to do (if anything) beyond that.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Auto or manual?

But yeah, walbro 255 fuel pump for sure, make sure you've got fairly new iridium spark plugs, replace your fuel filter would also help.

Engine mounts are also a factor I think when comes to tuning. Having shitty old mounts could severely limit your power.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Yeah new irid plugs and manual of course.

Ill give them a look bunt under power the engine doesn't move.

New o2 as well

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Not sure o2 affects tuning much, its all open loop.

I'd like to know how you can see what the engine is doing under load lol, but sagging or cracked rubber in the mounts will show as knock to the ECU and it won't be able to be tuned as hard.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Wont affect tuning but also helps in it running as it should.

Ive just got my mate to rev it while ive looked at the motor? Moved less than my fto and pulsar so I guess thats good :p

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Lol... I guess...
Might pay to get in and inspect the rubber with your eyes though, its a lot better to know now than when its on a dyno.

elatuk

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Vladimir
Drive
Legnum VR4
Sorry for posting here, but I don't have rights to create a new thread. I have a problem with my Legnum. When I smash the pedal and it reaches around 5400-5500 rpms (no matter the gear) bangs and looses boost and power. If I keep pushing it just bans and fails to go above 5500 rpm. EvoScan log shows in that moment the ECU drops the ignition timing to 0 for some reason. see the attached file. Everything was checked several times. My Crankshaft sensor in not original btw, but already ordered original. I tested camshaft and crankshaft sensors with oscilloscope, nothing disturbing. AFR is ok as well(not reflected in the log). Any ideas?

EvoScanDataLog_2022.09.04_18.03.39.png

Moose

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
Legnum
Sorry for posting here, but I don't have rights to create a new thread. I have a problem with my Legnum. When I smash the pedal and it reaches around 5400-5500 rpms (no matter the gear) bangs and looses boost and power. If I keep pushing it just bans and fails to go above 5500 rpm. EvoScan log shows in that moment the ECU drops the ignition timing to 0 for some reason. see the attached file. Everything was checked several times. My Crankshaft sensor in not original btw, but already ordered original. I tested camshaft and crankshaft sensors with oscilloscope, nothing disturbing. AFR is ok as well(not reflected in the log). Any ideas?
Ecu is picking up knock as you can see by the knocksum. which would be why it retards the timing

Top Bottom