3 child seats in legnum

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Does anyone with 3 young kids have a picture with all 3 seats fitted in their car. Our 3rd child:love: is due in Feb and just wondering how well they fit. Cheers
Dave

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
David, our third is also due Feb 10 . We have been thinking of this also. We think the capsule, booster and the 4.5 yo sitting in the middle should work.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I only have 2 kids of my own but often carry 3 in the back. I don't think three boosters/capsules etc. will fit. I have a forward-facing full carseat in the middle, a backless booster on one side, and nothing on the other. You could probably get away with a backless booster on both sides, but if you have 2 full seats with backs and wings you will have to put them outboard, and you will need a VERY VERY skinny child in the middle. Basically any kid big enough to not need a carseat will be too wide to fit in the middle when you have two full carseats or boosters with sides around them.

When I carry 3 kids I have my two in the central full seat and backless booster on one side, and a kid who doesn't need a booster on the remaining side.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
By the time bub is due we will have 4 yr old son and 18mnth daughter. I can currently sit between our 2 seats but i'm wondering if we should upgrade 1 car to a people mover

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
FYI.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RoadSafety/SeatbeltsChildRestraints/ChildRestraints/

The new (Victorian) rules for using child restraints and booster seats
Starting 9 November 2009, children under seven years of age must wear a child restraint or booster seat when travelling in a car for improved safety.

The type of restraint will depend on the age of the child as follows:

• Children aged under six months must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, rear facing child restraint
  • Children aged between six months and under four years must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, rear facing child restraint OR a forward facing child restraint with an in-built harness
  • Children aged between four years and under seven must wear an approved, properly fastened and adjusted, forward facing child restraint with an in-built harness OR an approved booster seat which is properly positioned and fastened.

There are also new laws for where children can sit in vehicles.
  • If a car has two or more rows of seats, then children under four years must not travel in the front seat
  • If all seats, other than the front seats, are being used by children under seven years, children aged between four and six years (inclusive) may travel in the front seat, provided they use an approved restraint or booster seat.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
By the time bub is due we will have 4 yr old son and 18mnth daughter. I can currently sit between our 2 seats but i'm wondering if we should upgrade 1 car to a people mover

Haha, almost the same as us! We have our little girl turning 1 in Nov, our little boy turning 4 in Dec and a new born due in Feb.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
we have 3 kids, 5 1/2 yr, 4yr and just 2.

we have kids upright full car seat in the middle and 2 small booster seats either side, works okay its not our main car thou, we have a delica as well but we often use my legnum when going away.

the main problem is getting the seatbelts on and off because you have to sort of slide the small booster out of the way to do it.

once seatbelts are done up its all good plenty of room.

if you need pics i can probably get some

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
my third is due 1st of jan~ oh yeah~ tbest things comes in threes right? oola~ 1st turning 4 at nov, second turning 2 at jan,and third one soon. I dont waste time on reproductivity

G

Unregistered
seat

Hey guys I want a 3rd and a 4th but missus wont have a barr of it till we get back to melbourne.
I have a small recaro kids race seat for my 4yr old and he loves it and doesnt take up as much space as the traditional kids seat.
Should try and track one down if you have space issues.
Picture 005.jpg

The seat on the right compared to the full size on the left.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I'm pretty sure i seen one on NZ Trademe for like $700+ secondhand, they are really expensive. You'd be able to get them cheap of course where you are Adam :)

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
3 kids is doable in legnum but very tight with carseats, especially buckling them in. even with our commodore 3 is tightish though, in fact we got a 3rd row single seat fitted to spread em out a bit.. minimises the arguments and fighting...

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
yep spreading the kids out is the best thats where the Delica comes in handy lol

love that recaro kids seat, sounds like they are a tad expensive thou :-( but might do some research

is that recaro next to a normal kids chair or next to the normal front driver/passenger chair ?

G

Unregistered
Yes the seat on the left is a standard recaro size and the one on the right is the kids recaro.
They sell for $40US in china. Very good quality and cheap as.
When I start travelling frquently to china over the next 4 months I will try and send a few to NZ or AUS as a group buy or something.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
We have 3 kids. The arrangement is as follows; 2 full sized car seats behind the driver and passenger and a small gap in the middle for the eldest child. We don't have a backless booster seat yet for the eldest, but it should fit (just). Haven't tried it yet tho.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
One thing that concerns me about putting a child in the middle with only a booster or nothing at all, is the lack of a shoulder belt in that position. That's not good. That's why my youngest has her full car seat in that spot, using the centre anchor in the back.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
We have a full harness that attaches to the lap belt and back to the child restraint bolt in the roof.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
This site shows which cars have had 3 seats across the back and the brands used to make them fit
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=610190
I guess the 3 that are relevant to us are

Stagea 1997 (import)
Babylove Ezyup, Babylove Toddler Rider, Peg Perego Viaggio

Liberty RX 2002
2 X SNS Compaq, SNS MRII

Outback 2005
2 x SNS Compaq Deluxe (1 RF 1 FF), SNS Hiliner
SNS Polo Capsule, SNS Royale, SNS Hi Liner

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
We have a full harness that attaches to the lap belt and back to the child restraint bolt in the roof.

I actually bought one of those for use when my kids get bigger and I need to put one in the middle without a booster. Does it work well? No complaints from the kid?

Top Bottom