6a12 ...n/a:( sitcky lifters n tappets

G

Unregistered
When i purchased the HJ i never had a problem with the lifters or tappets.

Since a recent oil filter & oil change, the tappets have been going crazy even when the car has been warmed up.

anyone have any suggestions ?

is it time to replace the tappets or lifters?
can has done 185 xxx kms and this is driving insane to the point where i just want to sell this car!! grrr

cheers

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
What weight oil did you use? I used 15w40 and never had any probs with tappets in all of my mitsis. Also oil filter can have a bearing on this; genuine filters will always reduce tappet noise over other brand filters.

I have had lifters snap on me before, but that was in an old L300 with SOHC 4G63 that had done 310,000 km!

G

Unregistered
iam using 15w50 semi synthetic.
with new ryco oil filter....

ive been told that its a general problem on mits engines...

G

Unregistered
would anyone recommend mobil 0W40 fully synthetic to overcome this issue?

G

Unregistered
ok iam back and ive done some research.

1. you can play with your lifters and tappets check thread below:
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7258
its a 6a12 motor if your asking.

2. apparently ryco oil filters are absolutely crap. if you can get a cooper oil filter! as they have better flow back and are of a higher quality
link supplied below on various test on different oil filets. Ps can reduce the 'tapping'
http://www.aus-cartalk.com/auspoc/techstuff.htm

3. use a 10w30 with a quality oil filter. <- which i might try asap.

does anyone have any other thoughts?
cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Anthony, brands I was solely using for my 6A12 N/A was Fuchs 10w30 full synth and i never heard it tick.. about the filter i was using Z411 and the brands were Ryco & Valvoline..

have you done an engine oil flush on your car? also have you tried the Nulon Oil additive to remove the lifter tick?

if you can get the filter z142a in there.. try that.. also try to get hold of the brand Purolator.. seems good.. I think it's similar to Amsoil's Oil filter..

G

Unregistered
sweet thanks for the info.

I am having some trouble finding where to purchase fuchs products can ya lead me in the right direction?

also i have done a engine flush every oil change at 5000k & ive added the nulon lifter free stuff but still nothing.

ive chatted to a mechanic at Mitsubishi and he said its a common problem with Mitsubishi esp magnas, lol its something i cant live with.. so annoying.!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i've just checked their website, and seems like there's none in victoria..

try other brands... like valvoline 10w30 full synth or amsoil 10w30 full synth if they have it.. you can also try the semi synth.. it'll do the same job..

reason I dont recommend 0w30 cause you don't have a turbo charged engine.. unless it is..

G

Unregistered
Thanks for that Christian.

Ill have to change the oil n filter on w.e i let ya know how it goes.

I drove home from work today... whole time it was ticking like crazy when rpm when it up it ticked faster. the oil temp was sitting on 90 degrees i dont know if thats 2 high or what.

G

Unregistered
i tried 5w40 motul!! oil

it failed badly if anything made it more intense.

.. going to pull out the motor change the tappets sell it and then pop a 6a12tt in.

:( weeks of pain.

Top Bottom