6A13 that ate dirt

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I bought an FL wreck of @RicKii`` with an engine in unknown condition. The crash ripped open the intercooler pipes post-turbo and the motor had a good lunch of dirt.

Amazingly, she looks to be in fairly mint condition!

And some lovely pics!

IMG_20150902_141701.jpg
IMG_20150902_141943.jpg
IMG_20150902_134456.jpg

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Shit! O_O what about cylinders? Scratched badly? I have to say that I see something like this first time in my life!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Shit! O_O what about cylinders? Scratched badly? I have to say that I see something like this first time in my life!
No, bugger all scratching. It's quite odd. It must have taken one big lungful and then just stopped.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Took the oil pan off and had a good look over lunch today. Rods look perfect.

Dunno whether it's worth pulling the bottom end down further. I feel like cleaning up the bores, dropping some ARP studs in it and calling the block good!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If your going to throw ARP main studs in you need to take it all apart as the clearances need to be checked. The higher clamp of the ARP studs distorts the main tunnel so the tunnel may need line honing to return it to round. 2 out of the 3 engines I have put studs into required line honing to regain proper oil clearances. Same thing with ARP rod bolts.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
If your going to throw ARP main studs in you need to take it all apart as the clearances need to be checked. The higher clamp of the ARP studs distorts the main tunnel so the tunnel may need line honing to return it to round. 2 out of the 3 engines I have put studs into required line honing to regain proper oil clearances. Same thing with ARP rod bolts.
Thanks mate, good to know. No real plans at the moment, just mouthing off!

To be honest I don't like doing jobs half assed and if I do anything to it, it will probably be a complete build from the ground up. My high level idea at the moment is the things that would allow the engine to make more power reliably, but without a specific intention to actually push it. Like maybe dropping it into a car tuned for E85 and 230kw at the wheels, with stock turbos. That way if I get the bug later to put something bigger on the outside, I know the insides are ready.

The wreck I bought has almost paid itself off already with the parts I've sold. The motor owes me nothing and I owe it nothing.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Well folks it's been a while but I've totally disassembled this motor. All the bearings look absolutely mint! She is a fine specimen.

Now to start my engine rebuild thread. :)

Top Bottom