6A13TT Engine rebuild

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes that's right folks, soon i'll be giving the Leggy a new heart, so that means i'll be rebuilding the mighty V6.

This thread is going to contain lots of pics of how i go about doing this. This isn't an "all out" build but merely a rebuild using standard bits but with some of my little "tweaks" to make the response and drivability just that much better.

I've just done a leak down check on the Leggy and it confirms what i had hoped hadn't happened. It's got some blow-by in all but 2 cylinders. This happened when the heater core split 8ish months ago. I thought i'd caught it in time. I guess i did as i didn't loose the engine but weakened it a little. It's only a matter of time until the continues to degrade, hence the rebuild.

This isn't going to be concluded in a week, more like 2-3 months. I have a spare engine that i'll be rebuilding so the wife can continue to drive the Leggy in the mean time.

All build should have some targets for power and cost, so....
Cost- engine $1500, clutch $500
Power- don't care but should be slightly better than the 175kW it currently has. If you want a number i reckon, 185kW will be pretty close with no changes to boost or ignition.
I plan to give the turbo's a refresh with new thrust bearings and jungle "magic" to help them flow a little more. This is included in the cost estimate.

I've already had the block honed. Next step will be de-dag the block, give it a steam clean and paint it with my special paint that helps oil get back to the sump.

It's a friggin lump, really bloody heavy, like its made from lead. I hope that's a sign she's got real dense metal.

IMG_0987.jpg

Here she is, check out those honed bores!! They are standard size so i will be re-using the standard pistons.
IMG_0992.jpg

Check out the 4 bolt main caps! Even my 26/30 only has only 2 bolt mains!!
IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

Here is my main concern for the engine. These are the standard pistons & rods, now i don't have the biggest hands in the world but the rods are pathetically thin and not a lot of metal around the big end. If they're surviving in Bradc's engine at 220kW then i have no issue with them at my power level or use.
The pistons will get a clean and then depending on cost i may ceramic coat their crown.
IMG_0993.jpg

These are the bearings that were in it. They look like new!! I really could put these back in with no problems.....but i won't.
IMG_0995.jpg

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
This is gonna be awesome. I'm gonna learn heaps from this thread (even if I don't actually use any of the knowledge, it'll still be fascinating). Looking forward to it :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
All I can say is... yeah baby!!(y) I shall subscribe to this thread and that's saying something because I've never subscribed to anything.;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
One thing about the 6A13TT is that everything about them is built exceptionally well. The heads are extremely well designed, the crank is incredible, the crank bearings are always in good condition and so on.

The only pity is that Mitsi didn't bother much with the rods. They are actually the same part in the ST-R, which I find incredibly disappointing!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks guys. As i mentioned, I'll be doing all the work except i'll get the machining done.

Brad, yes the inlet design is fantastic, best i've seen in a production engine. You can't a much straighter shot at the inlet port!!
The crank is huge and incredibly strong, overkill for this engine but with all the other bits it really makes the bottom end bullet proof.

Yes the rods are a weak point, i tried to match them to something else a number of months ago, but the dimensions were close, but no cigar. But it's a standard engine so its not really a factor.

Anyway it'll be a slow process as i'm doing it myself and i'm in the middle of 2 rebuilds already, well, the GTR is now running so i guess its just the Sil80 now- looks like she's got a cracked block. this will take priority over the 6A as i need it running again for the Time attack series i'm entering.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
This will be great to see and great to have up on the forum. Good work Simon.

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
Looking forward to your details on the rebuild.

Can you weigh the components as you go? From my bathroom scales I reckon it should weigh around 140kgs as a "long" motor. IE with assembled block and heads but nothing else such as the engine mounts, flywheel, inlet manifold etc.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Simon,

How different are the rods from the 3 Litre engine in the 3000GT (GTO)

I have seen several sellers on Ebay in the US selling aftermarket versions of these.

I dont know what the differences between the 2 engines are, so whether this info might help.

Regards

Gavin

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey Simon,

How different are the rods from the 3 Litre engine in the 3000GT (GTO)

I have seen several sellers on Ebay in the US selling aftermarket versions of these.

I dont know what the differences between the 2 engines are, so whether this info might help.

Regards

Gavin

It was from this engine that i was trying to make the rods fit, however the dimensions of the journals and big end unfortunately put an end to it.

I don't own any scales so weighing them will be difficult.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Nice one!

If your worried about the rods, just get them shot peened & balanced.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Not worried about the rods. Going to the effort of shotpeening and lisnishing them, i may as well get some custom rods made. BUT it's not in the budget or target so the standard rods will remain :)

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
But its not expensive, or a pain in the ass. We just had a set done for a G13B GTi swift engine (4 rods) and it was only $150.

They were both shot peened then closed & honed (which checks the big ends for round)

Guy is at Castle Hill if you want his details ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks for the info, that may come in handy for others to use :) However it's not required for this build.

G

Unregistered
Nice one Simon. Even though I haven't had my car for that long, the thought of doing an engine rebuild sometime in the future did cross my mind.

Is there any value in Nikasil plating on the cylinders for cars? Or is that only a motorbike thing? I had it done to a bike I once had but don't know too much about the process.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
heh, i just replied to a PM from Josh asking about liners.
I'f you're going to do a rebuild, make a budget and then double it. I have been able to keep the estimate down as i've just replaced all the pulleys waterpump timing belt etc which i'll re-use on the new engine ;)

jungle said:
Sleeveing, still chasing that up, waiting for them to come off holidays.

A quick answer 3L?? That's some serious boring to take it from 2.5 to 3 with bore only. Plus it'll change so so many things like, cylinder filling ablility, bore to stroke performance. I dont know how much wider you'd need to go for that, you'd need to take some seriousl measurements with the block to see if it would leave you enough meat between the bores....a be better having a chat with Dave from RPW in Perth?

Does it have to be 3L?? What is the purpose for it? Drag, street track? If you went 40thou over it may take you 2.7....all depends on the cars use. Sleeving may be better but then you'll face trying to find a piston to correct size which won't be too hard but then you'll need some maching at both ends. Is it really worth it?
Now having said all that liners should cost around the $100ish per cylinder- well that's what i am counting on. But then you need to get the block machined to take these. If you're going to that effort then i'd probably look at some around 2.8L
Just did some calcs based on an 86mm piston and standard stroke- give 2816cc. So my 2.8 was pretty freakin close :D
If the block would accept that then that's what i'd do, that way you keep the standard crank and bottom end, just slight changes to the rods small end to suit the 86mm piston. They are cheap as shit, nissan use 86mm there are heaps of aftermaket to choose from.

Hope that helps??

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Had a look over the valve train of the buildup engine yesterday. Looks like a "rolla rocker" arrangement. Should be interesting to pull apart and clean.
Had a look at what port work i'll do to the head. It's not gonna be much as its pretty sweet already. i will do some work in the bowl area but that's probably it.

Also will need to chase down a cam cover, as I'm missing one for some reason. It's been 12 months since i brought the engine home and it's sat under covers since then. If i did know why its not there i've forgotten SO anyone that know's the whereabout of a front cam cover, let me know?
I haven't looked at any wreckers yet.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
If you can't source a front one, I have a spare, just needs a good clean probably acid dipped..

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
What cost would be right to pay for our engine being rebuild??

Top Bottom