95RON vs 98RON Fuel Question

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hi everyone,

I'm in a fairly good position where my company pays for the fuel in my car. I managed to get the fuel card upgraded so I can fill it up with 95 Premium. Every now & then I will put a tank of BP 98 Ultimate through it out of my own pocket.

A few questions ;

I'm not planning to do anything massive with the engine, but I'm just curious as how far can the mods go before you pretty much HAVE to be running it on 98RON fuel ? My company definately will NOT allow me to be charging 98 fuel back to the fuel card so it needs to be able to run well on 95 instead.

I intend on getting mods done to keep the temperature down, but nothing like upping boost or anything like that. I've got the following in mind ;

Oil Cooler, Trans Cooler, Intercooler, ARC Induction Box, Turbo Piping to replace hosing, nice big exhaust...

Just wondering any of these are going to give me grief with running 95 fuel.

Or am I just being dumb again ? :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
as long as there isn't too much advanced timing, you should be right.

higher octane fuel allows you to run more advanced timing, and thus make more power, so all you do is slightly retard the timing until it is safe, and you will sacrifice a bit of power.
that said, you will still have more than factory,so its not a downgrade.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Thanks for the tips mitch,

Yea I'm not looking at boosting the kw's, would to get it to 206kw like the FL Legnums though.

The mods are more to do with extending the life of the components & reducing fatigue & stress etc on the various parts of the engine... I do so much driving in this thing that it's my main worry of something going broke & I'll be buggered finding replacements.

Had it since October & done over 15,000k's in it.

G

Unregistered
you should be fine then, the stock ECU should be able to sort it self out, especially if you aren't fiddling with the boost etc.

15,000km is a fair bit! i've had mine since october and have just done 5,000 i think :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
all of those mods will be fine, the only thing I would be concerned about with 95 is upping the boost.

things like a bigger intercooler will help with the lower octane as the air temp will be lower and you'll get less detonation

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Sounds great guys I'm a lot less worried now hehe

Yea mitchy I drive up & down the F3 freeway each day for work. It really racks up the kilometres. When you live in Terrigal & drive over an hour & back each day to Sydney for work it does do that !

I had Corollas before the Legnum all company cars. Last one was up to 120,000 in 2.5yrs !

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Brad if it were my car and I intended / HAD to run 95 in it all the time, I'd look at getting it re-tuned for the lower octane fuel. While the ECU will attempt to adjust to avoid detonation, it is designed to adapt itself WAY within safe tollerances, so you will probably find your fuel economy is rubbish and the engine won't run as smoothly as if you had it tuned properly. However that probably means an ECU piggy-back at least, as you can't re-program the factory ECU...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Thanks for the advice mate,

I was also looking at a GReddy E-Manage Ultimate..

You think that could help somewhat ?

G

Unregistered
i dont have my car with my, but usually under the bonnet there is a little label that says "use ** RON fuel minimum" or something along those lines...

e-manage is a good ecu, however i dont know if its worth the cost for what you need, something like a safc might be better suited, especially if you only plan on doing those mods above and no boost change.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I ran my completely stock white VR-4 on 95 for ages, I couldn't notice any difference between that and 98. Just fit the intercooler and you'll be fine

gtodave

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
david einam
Drive
galant 7g & 8g
have a look at a good quality water injection kit,that will allow you to safely run lower quality fuel.
david

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I ran my completely stock white VR-4 on 95 for ages, I couldn't notice any difference between that and 98. Just fit the intercooler and you'll be fine
Well there you go - Brad's actual experience with these cars is worth a hell of a lot more than any theories or conjecture on the part of the rest of us ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
in saying that, some of the guys in England found that their knock counts were higher with 95 than 98 (not surprising at all)

Remember that it only occurs if the air/fuel mix is hot enough to pre-ignite. With one step colder plugs and a big intercooler I reckon they'd run on 95 octane just fine.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Coolness guys for all the help there !

It looks like 'big mutha intercooler' here I come :ROFLMAO:

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
King Panther, with 15,000km already in three months, you'll be our "wear and tear" expert in no time :D

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Tell me about it mate !!!!!!

It's going in for its 2nd service on Monday. But yea the km's are clocking up like crazy....

I'd hate to be my office paying the fuel bill hehe ;)

So yes I will be the 'longevity' expert !

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
at 15,000kms every 3 months king panther will reach that in 3-4 years!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well I haven't even started properly in my new job yet..

Just wait till I get in the full swing of things, then the k's will REALLY start mounting up !!!!

I'll get to 280,000kms in no time hehe !

Top Bottom