A day at a motorkhana - vids, pics and aftermath

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Would hillclimbs be less taxing on the car? I did one, you do need to splash out on a helmet, stickers and a fire extinguisher, but its also a pretty cheap motorsport.

I cant really see the value in hillclimbs. For the fee of $80-100 you get 3-6 runs which take about 40 seconds each.

Thats only a few minutes of motor racing for a lot of coin. Compare that to a track day at Mallala and for the same cost you get closer to an hour of track time. Sure its not timed or in competition, but its heaps more track time.

You went to Collingrove Dion? Any of the EVO guys there?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
HAHA that chaser is owned by Mumbles(paul), absolute champ.

Looks like good fun, need to flog off that AYC and get a good two-way, then try reel those evo's in!

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
HAHA that chaser is owned by Mumbles(paul), absolute champ.

Yeah I had a good chat with him - top fellow. He's going to be driving at Super Sunday near my place so I'll go say hi if I see him

He mentioned having a mate in Adelaide that had a VR-4, I'm guess that was you!

cheers

Lee

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Simon i did a come n try hillclimb early last year, cost $40 i think and got 5 runs. All three are different styles of racing and need different approaches. Sure its not a lot of track time, but id say it would be similar to the motorkhana in that repect, and you enjoy every microsecond you are out there.

There was some evos out there, but i was only just considering an awd turbo mitsu at that stage and didnt pay too much attention

G

Unregistered
i did a motorkhana with a proton m21 1.8lt gsr engine.. my fist try and i was half a second of the vic drift champ, i won a membership to this event and some shitty jacket.. but it was wicked fun, i was nervous as shit tho..
love that chaser and good on ya lee for having a go..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
So we had a look at my PS pump today with Christians Dad who is a mechanic and it looked like the pump was completely stuffed (hardly pushing any pressure). However just before I got home (after a 40min drive) my PS started working again but only when I rev the engine - what does that mean?

The belt doesn't feel slack at all so I don't think it's that...

I'm guessing I still need to replace the pump but I don't quite understand what's going on...

cheers

Lee

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
As the pump is very low on pressure and gets better with revs you will need to replace the pump itself. I would say a few of the seals inside went under the constant pressure of those 360's and its now bypassing fluid, so as your engine speed increases so does the speed of the pump. At higher revs it would be a path of least resistance thing, easier to work right than bypass. IMO

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
that makes a lot of sense - thanks for the great explanation!

Hopefully I can get a pump and get it in next weekend.

cheers

Lee

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Top Bottom