SA A little about my car history and what lead me to VR4 ownership (long thread) :)

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
Hey guys,

I know ive already posted an intro. But i plan on sticking around for quite a while so i thought i would share a little bit more info about myself and my car history.

My name in Bradley and i am 30 years old, My love of cars all started when i was very young. My dad was the owner of an old Hillman imp. Being the treasurer of the hillman car club of south australia and also having young children meant that all of his club dealings became a family affair :)

Going to club meets / meetings / Bay to Birdwood / all british day and other social events where a regular happening in my youth. For all those who dont know what an imp is, its an old British Rear engine (875cc) 2 door which looking back is laughable because it was our family car and also my dads work car. Heres a vid of the latest one we have restored which we completed about 2 years ago.

Ok enough about that. Because i was raised in an automotive oriented family when i was 16 dad bought me my first car which and said to me... "If you want to own a car, you first have to learn to fix and maintain one"

So he bought me a 1985 VK berlina efi 202 which had pretty bad front and rear damage and was also defected, he wanted to use this as a teaching tool so i can learn whats involved when it came to sourcing out parts and replacing various components...

Ended up being my car for around 5 years.

One day a friend of mine rocked up at my place in a 1985 Cordia GSR which was a HORRIBLE colour and was in HORRIBLE condition, Being young i didnt care i was like "FULLY SICK TURBO!!!" it didnt bother me that it was shagged, I WANTED IT!... so he let me buy it for $500 which i thought was a bargain. Untill 6 months later i spun a bottom end bearing :(... but thats ok, cos i sold it for $700 hahaha

You can see one of my dads imps and my VK in this shot of my cordia.

04010701.jpg

Altho it was a lemon. i developed a HUGE love for mitsubishi Cordias. So i bought this :).

DSC01821.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

Buying this Cordia was around the time i discovered online car communities, so i joined CORDIAPOWER.COM
This was a thriving community back in the day with regular meets and lots of discussions. I also met Jon from Driven Motorsport through this forum.
DSC01946.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

After a couple good and RELIABLE years of owning this cordia, This happened

Image059.jpg

The damage doesnt look that bad, but it was enough to slightly twist the Chassis

Now i needed a new car. because Holdens have always been reliable to me and i needed a work car, i purchased a SUPER clean VP Calais. This pic is after i done a few exterior mods.

IMG_0427.jpg

But then this happened :( A texting P-plater doing 70kmh on Grenfell RD

28102009547.jpg

Still being obsessed with Cordias i began looking for another one... A long and fruitless search lead me to purchace another VP... but this time an SS -MU
12853_105808362765646_1000000944763.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

12853_106180676061748_1000000944763.jpg

This was a great car for another couple of years,

It was at this point i started dating my now Lovely wife Kerri whom i met when i owned my blue Cordia, she was all excited when we met because when she was born in 1986 her dad owned a brand spanking new Cordia GSR that looked exactly like the one i owned :). Between me still having a keen interest in cordia's and her having great memories and also a great interest in these cars forced her to force me to buy another one.. lol we both know i wasnt forced :) This time, one for the shed and a future project.
11127562_980360038643803_9046648954439447908_n.jpg

11149298_980358535310620_6306731616081410664_n.jpg

I felt ALOT better for just for owning one.. didn't matter that i wasnt driving it :). P.s The motor in the cordia is Shagged.

One day i was driving home from work (in my SS) and i Broke the tailshaft (cough) i was bored with the car anyway so i sold it the next week to a mate who fixed it and still uses it to this day. Which makes me happy.

Now i needed another car, I had seen "NUMNUM" the leggy driving around and have always loved them!

So i started looking on Gumtree and other sites for one... but they where WAYYYY outta my price range, sooo i got another holden :) this time a stepped it up a bit and got myself a statesman.

Was a FANTASTIC car. Comfortable, reliable, powerful due to the 185kw HSV Enhanced package.

10383836_390553477740225_4150945146151749245_o.jpg

906603_414544045341168_810744474795597397_o.jpg

I had the stato for 2 years and only drove it to work. clocking up a massive 2800km in that time (sarcasm)

But i wanted something diffrent... so i sold her and decided to try and get the cordia on the road and use it daily :)... After a few phone calls and quotes to get 4G63 front cuts and everything else the car needed was going to run me nearly 10 grand -_- and because i sold the statesman a bit to hastefully i was in need of a car... AGAIN.

I began looking for Legnums again.. at this point i had a better income and savings than i had prior so i had more money to play with.. I had been looking for almost 2 months and nearly gave up when BAM. A Super VR4 Legnum popped up for sale... and i bought it 45 mins after it was originally posted haha... didnt wanna give anyone else a chance to get in.

11212373_991071640905976_2030115678_n.jpg

I am absolutely LOVING this car and cant wait to get the few things it needs done so it can become my new daily :). (the things it needs are very minor) ie Rear tyres and needs a new Cat.

I am also really enjoying this forum, its content and its very friendly member and i am looking forward to meeting you guys in the future.

Thanks for reading

-Bradley

jars121

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jamie
Drive
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII GSR
That's quite an automotive history you've got there Bradley (y)

You've managed to pick up the exact model and colour Legnum I'll be looking for in a couple of month's time, so I'll be following along closely to see what you do with her :)

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
Thanks jars. Yeah i just want to get her back up to perfect daily condition. Then some mild mods ie exhaust suspention rims and performance wise just a tune :)

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
I really want to see this thing, looks great :)

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
yeah she is in quite good nick apart from the aftermarket wheel and seats the last owner ruined it with... nice and huggy tho hahahaa

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
I caught the turbo bug with an AB Cordia GSR, boost,wet roads and fwd were always fun and a little frightening. This eventually led to a fl trigger mauve galant which is now sadly destroyed (kangaroo + rear-ending a tree), I now have a pearl white pfl legnum. Great vehicles enjoy Bradleh.

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
Yeah thats what killed my blue GSR black ice in the adelaide hills.. middle of the night... had to drive home doing 15 kmh.. took 3 hours to do about 50 ks

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
Just had the 62 in the blue cordia.. i was just being inattentive unfortunately

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
20150502_154038.jpg

11187943_991186057561201_358795059_o.jpg

Forgot to mention, we also have a CJ VRX lancer, u can see it in the pics, and the legnum has about 85000km on the clock

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
Got my rear tyres done today, and a horrible noise ive had coming from the rear is completely gone! im wrapped... as i was suspecting that it might have been a diff/tailshaft bearing... i had a look at the tyres once off and they where terribly scalloped and feathered.

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
got a quote today for a 100 cell Cat and a 3" stainless mandrel bent exhaust 1200 form everlast mufflers... might have to book her in next week as it still has the exhaust it was imported with... be a shame to replace it, as it still has all the RALLIART stampings on it.

VR4STHOZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
shane
Drive
1999 Legnum Type-S
Also try AAA exhausts at mile end.. they do a good job and not to pricey

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
If i think that picture is correct, you might be in the Modbury area. If so, try the Modbury Triangle - Auto Masters (I think? the yellow building next to Bob Janes) do exhausts. They were fantastic for me. I took the car back three times (very specific exhaust result i was after) and they didn't charge me for the extra work. Amazing customer service. Workmanship was good too.

Top Bottom