ABS, TCL, skid light and red AYC lights all came on

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Something very weird is going on with my ATC, TCL and/or ABS.

The final thing is the AYC red light is on, the amber TCL OFF light is flashing and the amber skidding car symbol light is on.

Every so often when I turn left going slowly I get a grinding thumping noise and it feels like the left brake is going on. I haven't been able to find out if it is ABS, AYC or TCL causing this. The sound is the same as when the ABS kicks in (which I discovered when a dog ran out in front of me on a wet night). However I m not sure if that sound - a grinding/clinking noise - is how the ABS should sound.

Then the other day it felt like the left front brake went on when doing 100km/hr on the highway.

Later the AYC bars lit up when going slowly in a straight line.

The red AYC and TCL amber lights came on. I stopped the car. Turned the engine off, back on and all seemed normal again.

However since then the problem turning left at slow speeds has happened a number of times. It feels like a brake is being put on, or the AYC is withdrawing power. Really don't know. It is accompanied by the grinding clinking sound.

Then driving to work during the last couple of kms all the lights came on. The AYC red light, TCL OFF amber light flashing, and the amber skidding car symbol. Just before this all the AYC bars came on when driving normally in a straight line.

It seemed to drive fine with all these lights on.

Car is in work carpark right now.

Please someone tell me

1) What do these lights specifically mean? I didn't even know that skidding car light existed....

2) Can I drive the car like this or will I do it damage?

3) What the hell is causing these problems and how to fix it?

Car is a 1997 Galant VR4. Auto. Done only 14000km, it seems to be in top condition.

I got it a few months ago. All fluids including AYC were flushed and replaced.

Marty

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
skidding car light is to do with traction control (or was that one the stability control i forget..) and the tcl off means the tcl switch is off, but seeing as both of those and the red AYC light is on, id call it an error code of some sort... try checking on cvr4, but you might get some info from some of the more knowledgeable members :)

as for the kms, its hard to tell what is and isnt real (one member bought his at 67k kms from a dealer, and noticed on the importer's website the same car at 114k kms.. )

As for the fluids being done, if they put the wrong fluids in or performed the procedure incorrectly, id assume it would come up with this propblem?

I believe it is unusual to be doing the AYC on a car that has only done 14000kms, or is that the usual service interval for it? again, another thing to leave to the more knowledgeable..

hope it all works out :)

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
The TCL light comes on when you switch it off, but it also comes on when there is an error even with the TCL switch on. However the light is actually flashing.

The kms may or may not be correct. The trim etc looks like a very low km car.

The fluids were changed when I bought it just as a matter of course. I am just assuming they used the correct fluids - it was a reputable place and they seemed to know their stuff. I'll check the levels when I get back to the car though.

However the turning left thing seems to be the initial cause (well who knows). That pre dated the fluids being changed.

I am wondering if a wheel sensor is playing up???

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i'd say you have a tip auto vr4 with uneven wheel wear..

couple of things you can try..

1. get the error codes from the ecu.. there's a guide on how to do it.. do a search.. :D

2. if you have $1k.. get new set of decent tyres.. :D or try someone else's wheels on yours..

3. if your tyres are multi directional, put your front left tyre to the rear right and the rear right to the left rear then the left rear to the front left..

before you do, wait for people's reply.. I'm thinking off from what i read somewhere, but can't find it at the moment..

can someone with more experience please verify..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i thought that too christian, however he said all 3 were lighting up at low speed... the thread you're thinking of was at 100km/h 1 bar was lighting up :p anyway definately a possibility...

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
well the light of the car sliding should only come up if traction control is ON and you get sideways a bit,if you have traction control switched to off and you lose traction or get sideways it wont light up,just something to keep in mind

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If all 3 lights come up at about 10-20kmh then there is a problem with the sensor or something similar

G

Unregistered
A damaged or broken ABS ring could also give the same problems.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
err.. damage or broken abs is gonna be a PITA.. it'll be expensive too.. goodluck and hope its only something simple

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Yeah - I am thinking ABS or sensor.

The tyres are brand new, I don't think it is uneven wear/pressures etc. The symptoms don't really fit that scenario anyway.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
OK

Trying to do some trouble shooting.

Driving around with the TCL OFF.

The grinding/brake on (?) / shuddering from front left when turning slowly left happened again. So I think I can take TCL out of the equation.

How do I go about turning the AYC off. - fuses, switch ??

It is a galant not a legnum

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
OK - got some error codes.

Did the PIN 1 PIN 4 thing on the OBD

TCL - 35
AYC - 31

However the ABS, ENG, N, were all just flashing constantly - no codes.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
From the code list thread here: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2415

TCL 35 - Steering Sensor (ST-1, 2, N) line

AYC 31 - Steer Sensor (ST-1, ST-2, ST-N) System (break)

So you have a Steering Sensor problem. As for where exactly, that I can't get out the Japanese manual to well... so start looking for broken conductors around the steering column etc.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
On a Galant what is the best way to turn the AYC off.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Thanks for that.

Where in the passenger compartment are the other fuses? My owners handbook seems to be for a completely different car.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
More symptoms.

The lights have been off for a few days now. Last night shortly after starting the car the TCL OFF, AYC and skidding car lights came on. No unusual happenings prior, they just came on. The car drove normally - but off course no AYC functions (I presume TCL aswell - but that is harder to tell).

If (and I think this is a big if) the only problem is the steering sensor could that be causing all these symptoms?

What I want to do is drive around for a few days with no AYC or TCL and see if that grinding/braking when turning left still happens. Once I get some more info I'll take the car in to someone with some info for them to go on.

Another question.

Will the AYC cause a "braking" action of some sort on a wheel. When the turning left thing happens I can put my foot down and the car will try and drive but something front and I think left is retarding the action - maybe the brake but I cannot be sure?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
I know the AYC itself doesn't do anything to the front wheels, but maybe the whole sensor and feedback arrangement is causing a problem?

I dunno. It is weird that the TCL and AYC lights are coming on and the only errors are on TCL and AYC, yet the problem "seems" more like ABS and brakes.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The ASC and TCL can put the brakes on, the AYC can't. The AYC system does look at the sensors at the front wheels though.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Thanks for that. So it could be TCL but I have had the problem occur with TCL OFF though. Which is why I was looking at the AYC.

I had the turning left problem occur with the TCL OFF yesterday. Funny however that after it happened the skidding car light came on (I thought it would have been disabled with TCL OFF)

Do I have ASC?

1997 Galant VR4 (definitely has AYC and TCL)

Top Bottom