ACT Workshops

G

Unregistered
I know we have the VR-4 friendly workshop thread, but I am wondering what peoples experiences are with different workshops around the ACT.

I can't say I've been to any big name performance workshops myself like Jake's, I've trusted pretty much anyone with FTO experience. I'm yet to find someone who will take on the AYC with confidence.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
If you need any Auto Elec work done a great place is Tuggeranong Auto Elec. The boss there is an honest bloke his name is Stuie I think but anyway its a good workshop. Dont know if they have had much experience with VR-4's though. Another good place was in Philip I cant remember what its called but they have battery world as part of it, they are pretty good too.

Stay away from City Center Auto Elec and Lonsdale Auto Elec. I worked for Lonsdale for a while not the best workers and City Center was dodgy when i worked for them.

A good exhaust shop was City Custom Exhaust the bloke that owns the place is a decent bloke they do pretty good work too, names Jethro, not sure if I spelt it right but you get the idea.

We had some work done with Jake's, he was a really great bloke and did good work, seemed to know his stuff, as far as I can remember he didnt have a 4wd Dino setup so he wouldnt be able to dino tune VR-4's.

Unless all this stuff has changed drasticly they should still be the same, although I havnt lived in canberra for a year now.

G

Unregistered
Got my GTO serviced at by Danny at Performance Garage in Phillip, really nice guy, seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty open about all costs. Hard to get a hold of on the land line, but he lists his mobile too. He had an evo in there last time I was there.

Edit - apparently Danny broke his back dirt biking or something and as a result the business is closed - I'm assuming for good.

G

Unregistered
Oh, first bit - Pat's Tyres in Fyshwick I think is head and shoulders the best tyre place I've been to. I had some tyres fitted for my RX-7 and despite checking pressures every week only ever had to change them twice in 12 months. You can tell they took the time to do the job properly - they even removed all the little *hairs* off the tyre which made it look a million ;)

Just had my Leggie at A&J Auto Electrical on Isa Street in Fyshwick. I've been there before for work on a AE82 twin cam and a HID conversion on a AE92, thought they were good.

They replaced the regulator and some bearings in the alternator. They only charged me about 4.5 hours in labour even though it took them longer, I don't know if that's because they decided to write it off at learning time or if it was the apprentice who got stuck with it. The owner can be a little hard to understand at times, but I can't complain about the work I've had done. The parts didn't seem too badly priced either :)

PS: I've had good dealings with Tuggers Auto Electrical too - they're the ones next to the Caltex aren't they? And bugger, I was going to try your recommendation Alex - Phillip is convenient to drop off and pick up for me :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
They only charged me about 4.5 hours in labour even though it took them longer, I don't know if that's because they decided to write it off at learning time or if it was the apprentice who got stuck with it.

:001_huh: Was that to get it off the car rebuild it then back on beacuse if it was just a rebuild they should have had it done in an hour max.

G

Unregistered
Yeah that was to do everything - I don't have the tools to life the engine off its mounts, etc. to get it out on my own.

And I needed my car that weekend.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Any ACT friendly Workshops, know there are at least 4 Leggies in Canberra now.

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
I havnt used any as yet. Although I'm wanting to get my ayc serviced soon so will probably take it somewhere for that.

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
I can't say from any personal experience, but Jap Spec Garage is a shop out in Mitchell that is trying to get off the ground. As far as I am aware they have several Legnum parts and some desirable stuff like LSD's. No idea what the mechanic there is like but they are nice guys that own it and would at the very least be worth checking out. I know one of the shop owners is a Legnum owner and has a passion for them (as you would expect).

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
Agree with abusive, have never used the workshop but have been there and met with the owners. They wrecked a pfl leggy last year, so should have parts that would otherwise need to be shipped in. One of the owners is a leggy owner, was friendly and honest, so would assume they would advise if the work you needed was outside their experience level.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
That's great news for us. Might have to have a look.

Oh also ACT people I have invited you to the "ACT Crew" group so we have list of ACT OZVR4 members...

Can't add noony.... that account is not allowed to join groups.

Cheers
Craig.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
Took the car to Jap Spec yesterday to get my fuel issue looked at. After checking all sensors and finding the problem (major air leak after the AFM), no charge. Can't recommend them highly enough. Got a tonne of mods/maintenance to do once I've got the car ACT registered.

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
Glad to hear it mate. Brad is a family member of mine and I can assure you he is an honest guy that wouldn't be out to rape your wallet. Best of luck with your plans and I hope you get all the mods you are chasing. :)

G

Unregistered
Old thread, but I wouldn't recommend ESP for legnums, took mine there and not only did he basically say I was stupid for buying one, but he refused to work on it.. still looking for somewhere to go :(

Ricardo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ricardo
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
Hi you can try Ultimate tunes in Phillip. They have been working on my leggie for a while now

Top Bottom