Advice on getting the motor out quick & dirty

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I've done it both on and off the car, was good because the one off the car was the rooted gearbox and we got to practice on it.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
As said previously, try a 3/8 drive socket and ratchet.

I can't say I've done a Legnum auto box, but most automatics are similar. (I've done a few Magna boxes).

Just make sure you're dead on the head of the bolt, cos the head is shallow it has potential to slip and round. Then you're going to have a bad day.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Got it off this morning folks, thanks for your advice. Here is what I did:

• Lower the motor onto a sturdy wood plank to secure it
  • Turn motor over until bolt is in the inspection hole
  • Place blocks of wood under the crankshaft breaker bar to lock the crank in position
  • Use angle adjustable breaker bar and short 17mm socket to break the torque converter plate bolts
  • Repeat process for remaining bolts

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Problem now is the motor still jams up when I rotate it. Cam timing is good, but the motor jams. If I back it off a bit anti-clockwise then go again often it will clear the jam.

The resistance I'm feeling does not feel like normal cam lobe resistance. In fact, I don't think I can feel any cam lobe resistance, just the binding sensation.

O' great Legnum motor gods @6A13TT TYPE S and @trotty and @TME_Steve what say you?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Aren't you rebuilding this motor anyway. This is where the fun starts. Time to disassemble.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Try it with the plugs out first but probably fecked

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
You can guess what the problem is until your blue in the face. Just start pulling it apart and the problem will reveal itself eventually. But as steve said try it with the plugs out so you know your not fighting compression and it may become a bit more obvious whats causing the tight spot.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Removed a bunch of shit from the intake valves. Engine no longer jams up but has a small amount of binding as I rotate it.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Will be fun pulling this thing down. Bet I find a bunch of grass and shit in one or more cylinders.

@RicKii`` was the airbox busted up when you got it? Looks like the guy crashed and the engine was running and sucked in a bunch of crap. Can't see any damage to the turbo blades though.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Random question is the first motor you've pulled apart ?

Secondly where did the car come from looks like it's been underwater. Unless the car's been running without air cleaner it's incredibly unlikely that shits got through the mesh filter and then Maf.

If everything is still sealed and your opening for the first time then it's definitely been underwater and/or been driven through a massive dust something a rather without an air filter .

Thirdly theyre the intake valves you will not get carbon buildup on the rear face because all is going in there is air and fuel.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Yeah first motor I've ever pulled down. First time for everything!

There was no water in the oil. The interior of the car has no sign of water damage. There's no sign of this stuff in the turbos either.

RicKii``

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ricky
Drive
99 Legnum
nar airbox was fine and maf was fine. the air filter was clean too.
thats why my thought is the guy had started the car with the cooler pipe dug in the dirt as the inside of the pipe to the intake is dusty

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
That would make sense. Might explain the motor binding too. Be interesting to tear it down.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
nar airbox was fine and maf was fine. the air filter was clean too.
thats why my thought is the guy had started the car with the cooler pipe dug in the dirt as the inside of the pipe to the intake is dusty
Ah so it was running, crashed and ripped off the outlet from the intercooler. The motor probably then sucked up the stuff it dug into.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
forgive my ignorance, but just to be sure, once the motor is dropped out the bottom can the car still be wheeled around on its wheels? steering and hubs are still on so im hoping yes?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
You have to collapse the hubs to get the front axles out to drop the motor so you have to reassemble the hubs. And if you have removed the axles you need to put some allthread with a nut and washer at each end through the hub to hold the wheel bearing together if you plan to roll it around.

Top Bottom