Aftermarket Cruise Control - Whats good ?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
A little boring perhaps, but the fitting of cruise control will be the first mod I make when my Legnum finally arrives.

My question is, has anyone sourced a system that will work with the VR4's? Can Mitsubishi help, or would we be better with a simple aftermarket setup from any auto shop?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
A few people in England have had it fitted to their cars, so it is possible, but I doubt mitsi would be of any help at all.

Probably best to call around and see what people can offer you.

G

Unregistered
I would be chassing up a kit through repco, or autobarn, a mitsi one would be a lot of headaches i would think

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Don't worry Sydo, I'll be joining you in this extreme mod too. CC rocks when you do lots of freeway driving and you don't wana lose your license.

G

Unregistered
If your still after cruise control - I'm getting it fitted to my 2003 Galant 2.5 V6-24v in the UK - it's our version of a 'soft' VR4, I think known as a Galant VR in your parts.

The after market Mitsubishi cruise control was fitted to UK official import VR-4s in the UK and on other Mitsubishi cars. It costs £640 including tax and fitting in the UK (I haggled with the dealer and got it for £600).

Next bit is I don't know how that converts to your currency - but I can certainly give you the part number when I pick the car up this Sunday. Also I had Mitsubishi's rear parking sensors fitted too if you're interested in price and part number.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
omg... 600 pound is well over 2k here Philip. Scratch that one from the list. I'll just carry a brick in the car and drop it on the pedal when I'm getting lazy. Or not ;)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
You could always see if a cruise control unit from a magna fits. Mitsi do tend to use a lot of the same things across the models. For example our cruise control unit is used in almost every model across the board lol

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I priced up a cruise unit, around $750, that includes a remote attached to the steering wheel instead of a stick. Our cars need a electronic throttle control unit instead of a vacuum one, due to being turbo

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
$750 is about the price I was expecting..
5 months later and this *first* mod that I was after is something I still havn't investigated! haha..

G

Unregistered
CC

Hi Sydo,
Given that you are in fabulous Melbourne, I might be able to help you out. We have had several cars with cruise added, Complete Options on Westall Road, Westall. Give Dan a call, he should know what your talking about,
Tate

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I'm also interested in adding CC to my Legnum. When I get a chance I'll have a look at the setup on my mates magna, see if there's any possibility of an easy retro fit.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I priced up a cruise unit, around $750, that includes a remote attached to the steering wheel instead of a stick. Our cars need a electronic throttle control unit instead of a vacuum one, due to being turbo

Bugger...there goes the magna idea then.

Unless later models used an electronic unit...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Bugger...there goes the magna idea then.

Unless later models used an electronic unit...

I think what he meant is a throttle position sensor is used instead of a manifold vacuum sensor. Is that right... I might be talking shite.:D

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
you can use the $200 vacuume kits on a turbo, i used one in My turbo cordia for years, they say you cant do it but all you need is a Vacuume accumulator and a one way valve so it doesnt get boost into it.

never had a problem with mine unless you were boosting heaps for long periods. im not sure if maybe its different with the vr4 because the boost comes in so early thou.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
There are a bunch of generic ones on ebay.

The most expensive ebay generic one which comes with a stick, I swear is the same thing as I had on my Triton as "factory" cruise control.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i have seen one of those at ebay. not that great according to my mechanic hugh. bum. CC is not on my list at the moment due to my all day every day city driving. BUT~ it would be cool

G

Unregistered
I've been wondering about this also, I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a unit from Ebay...
You can still fit aftermarket cruise control to manuals too right? With the obvious exception that they won't change gears...

G

Unregistered
I put the AusCruise one on mine for approx $750 fitted. Works just like factory and looks pretty neat with steering wheel mounted buttons. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom