Aftermarket horns - Who/What/Where UPDATE: New Horns installed w/ PICS!

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Just got mine done,
20140924_202108_Flat Rock Walking Track.jpg

Pretty happy with the result, does need some modification of the plastic grille though

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
looks good dude... do you have them hooked up? how did you mount them? i might require help putting mine in now! haha

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Can give you a hand one weekend if you want (and are nearby, you coming to the bathurst meet this sunday?). Ill take some photos of the mounting points, I used existing holes in the radiator support bar, with some bolts, nuts and washers.

Not hooked up yet, but wanted them in place before this weekends bathurst meet. Have the wire and relay there ready to go. Tbh I was expecting the stock horn to be there somewhere, but couldnt see it easily, and was running out of time that night.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Put my super tones in today...
Bit of a pain but doable... behind the grill too....
I have a trans cooler on the passengers side so I slightly bent the cross brace thingy to squeeze that side in... plus a little foam tape so they don't directly touch..
Here are some pics of the brackets I made up from some aluminium bar I had lying around...
I drilled into the bonnet latch as I just couldn't get the horns to sit right with the factory drilled holes (I hate drilling holes in car bodies)

Best bit... they look awesome... and they are quite loud (118db at 2 meters) wired them into the factory harness (bullet connectors)
She has nostrils!!

20141128_154315_resized.jpg

20141128_151417_resized.jpg
20141128_151401_resized.jpg

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Nice work, still haven't gotten around to mounting mine.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
So bit of a thread dig and revive.

The Discos horns packed it in, so I bought a new set of SuperTones to go in.
Factory the Disco had hi/Lo horns, so I just snipped the oem plug and crimped on some spade terminals and connected it straight to the supers.
However, to get them to mount where I wanted them, I had to bend the thin brackets that come attached to the Hellas
In doing this I broke 2 of 3
So I tried making new heavy duty brackets out of 4mm flat bar,
However when I bolt the horn onto this new bracket, they sound like they are dying.
Bolted straight to the chassis, sound like they are dying.

Do the Supertones HAVE to use the supplied bracket? I managed to save 4 of the 6 strips so I used 2 on each, hung from the H/D brackets and they work fine, but wouldn't work properly mounted to anything else.
I am not using the supplied relay as the factory horns were two tone so I just connected them directly.

Anyone able to chip in here?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
That's really odd. The Hella design has engineered a certain flexibility in the mounting bracket for the acoustics to work? Can you get some material that is similar to the original brackets? The "make-a-bracket" stuff you can buy at Bunnings is cheap and soft enough to bend by hand, and might work.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
That is odd, I made up my own brackets when I mounted them to my car and I bolted the super tones straight onto the front of my old man's Chevy when I did his and they worked a treat. I think it does say on the box not to remove the factory brackets but in my experience it didn't matter. did you do the nut up on the back of the horns too tight or something maybe?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I feel like a bit of a jerk because I said I would take some photos of my horns and never did, sorry guys :whistle:

The brackets are pretty hard to see but hopefully you get the idea, they are very similar to the my original brackets Ben posted up a couple of pages back.

Anyway, here they are:
20150107_164041.jpg
20150107_164047.jpg
20150107_164053.jpg
20150107_164057.jpg

Hope that helps others with their install (y)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Do you have enough power for them? On testing my ones on the Honda, I could get them to work fine individually on brackets i made out of ali, but didnt want to go together.

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Do you have enough power for them? On testing my ones on the Honda, I could get them to work fine individually on brackets i made out of ali, but didnt want to go together.

I made up a relay circuit for mine connected directly to the battery with the stock horn wires being the trigger. Easy to make up with a few connectors and a felay, or you can get a spotlight wiring kit which will do the same job

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah, signal from the factory horn connectors was 12v with the horn button pressed.

All sorted now, oddly enough, they work perfectly fine bolted to the supplied bracket, which is bolted to the home made bracket, which is bolted to the chassis..
But they didnt want to work bolted to the chassis or my home made bracket.. Mind you the bracket i made was 4 or 5 mm plate steel.. so it mightve affected the resonance frequency or something...

Top Bottom