Aftermarket radiator fan wiring

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Hi all as the title suggests im about to wire some slim aftermarket fans for the twin td04 vr4. Would like to know how to go about this. The fans I have are 2 wire and ive noticed the stock plug has 3 wires two larger and one smaller. Im a sparky and I have a hunch the old module on the fan controlled the speeds and was just fed a constant 12 volts and was fed a voltage signal from the ecu. Would like to know what other peoples solutions have been. cheers

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yeah, the small wire is a signal from the ECU, if it is cut then both fans run at full power as a fail safe (I ran mine thru a switched relay as an override to turn the fans on)
You can just keep the original hedgehog control module and tap your new fans into the 2 wire outputs that went to the old fans.

If relocating the hedgehog make sure it is in the flow of the fan air still.

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Funnily enough the hedgehog has been sold along with the stock fans. How do you suggest I control the fans? Or do I just need to go and find one just to keep it simple

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I'm sure there are aftermarket fan controllers available, but keep in mind I'm pretty sure the factory one also gets a signal to turn on when the AC condenser needs it.
Might just be easier to track down a factory one

Top Bottom