Alarm recommendations

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I ended up getting a Mongoose M80s which is a 3 point with a shock sensor.
It has lots of good features but is cheaper than a viper.

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
It was $495 fitted at Mastertint down here on the Gold Coast.

I must admit I didn't really shop around on price as I wanted some tinting done and they did alarms as well :)

cheers

Lee

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ive just started looking into some quotes. Tisonics have a decent package for about $500 - 3 point immobiliser, shock sensor, microwave, internal screamer siren, battery backup etc. No paging features.

Ive also looked into a Brant - these alarms have a pretty good reputation dont they? For $550, I can get a similar system to the tisonics system, but for an extra $400 can get a key code system (which adds an additional 3 points of immobilisation - so 6 point immobiliser in total). The great thing about have a pin code system is knowing that even if they break into your house and steal your keys, they are still going to need to know the code to start it up.

Id prefer to prevent my car from being stolen then be able to track its whereabouts or be notified by sms.

Not sure if its worth the extra cash though.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
So what do people think the most important features of a good alarm are? Heres my opinions below, but looking to hear peoples feedback as I am yet to decide what to get.

Essential:
Dual cut immobiliser (or should 3 be the min?)
Boot, bonnet, and doors protection
Either glass breakage/shock/microwave sensor (which to get?)
Black wiring / australian standards approved
3 year warranty
Professional install (they always say an alarm is as good as it was installed)
Battery backup siren

Useful:
Auto windup of windows and sunroof on arming
Tilt sensor (if they jack your car up to take the wheels it goes off)
Interior screamer siren

Would be good but is the price justified?
Keycode pin startup (on brant systems, this protects your car even if they still the keys)
2 way paging remote
SMS alerts
Satellite tracking

Wank factor:
Remote start

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i am still planning to get the viper with sms module its still only about 1100 at wagga car radio and does everything

G

Unregistered
Anyone in Sydney this is the guy to get your alarm off. I just had mine installed at my house. He comes to you. He mainly does import car alarm's and found the Legnum great to work on.

Platinum Performance parts and Imports. PH: 0411101737

He goes by high volume and low price. Top of the line alarm you will save a few hundred dollars and thats installed, what a great job you can't even see any of it under the dash, looks all standard. This is the same alarm the GPS tracking companys use just they add the GPS part to there's.

I got it all done for $450, The NRMA site say's about $700 for the same one. Extra $50 for auto up when arming for the windows which I didn't want.
I did however get the alarms turbo timer connected. It uses the hand brake to activate turbo timer.

Australian standars 3 point imobiliser. All black wires.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
sounds like a good price - what other sensors does it have? microwave, ultrasonic?

Do you mind saying what brand of alarm it was? (feel free to pm me). It sounds a bit like a Brant, which Ive been considering.

G

Unregistered
didn't brant go bankrupt or something?
i remember a big fuss about the keypads they used in the rex's as people had problems, and the company supposedly went under or something like that...

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
not too sure what happened, but it seems Brant are still alive - they are only installed by a handful of mobile installers these days though. They are still bragging about being used as standard items in Subaru's though. I was pretty close to getting one with a keypad, but I googled it, and everyone said they had a lot of issues with false alarms. That really put me off.

Im now looking into getting a Dynamco (I think this brand makes cyclops?). Apparantly to get auto window/sunroof close on arming of the alarm, this feature costs an additional $300, more than the actual alarm itself! Anyone else got this?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
$290 of that is probably just to cover the time it takes the sparky to hook it up to your window loom, I doubt there's much in the way of extra equipment necessary.

G

Unregistered
I was told extra $50 for that unit installed with the rest of the alarm.

G

Unregistered
i had an autowatch in my skyline, and will most likely get one in the legnum, with the auto window up feature aswell.

G

Unregistered
Just get a Facelift and u dont need to buy anything to get the windows up, its all in the key ;)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Just get a Facelift and u dont need to buy anything to get the windows up, its all in the key ;)

hmm i forgot about this! How do you do it? When locking, press lock twice?

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I'm going to stick with the Viper 791XV, its got everything that i need and 2 way paging remote. Should be installed and bought for under $700 :)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I was at tonkins yesterday and they had a paging alarm for $680, but that didnt include fitting.

Who is able to sell this one including fitting for $700?

At the moment its a tossup between a Tisonics Dynamco or a Cobra from Complete Audio.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
well its more buying the alarm and getting someone to install it

on my current car i got the alarm from these guys
http://www.auaudio.com/shop06/direc....html?osCsid=38528c1f5f1f24d988b98eb98daecee9

and then i got these guys to install it for me

H T Car Audio And Security
Paralowie SA 5108
ph: 0413 522 565

they come out to your house and install it for you, it cost me $200 to get the alarm put into my 91 Galant but the cost varies from car to car. but it shouldn't be more than $300 to install which makes up the $700 cost when you include the $410 for the alarm.

Ill be using the same guys again to install an alarm once i get my car, and buy another alarm :)

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
sounds pretty decent - the only issue is that Viper alarms are not Australian Standards Approved - Shannons require this - however if a place like Tonkins installs it, then they usually just write a letter to give to Shannons that states what features it has and generally its all good.

Top Bottom