Alarm recommendations

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi All,

I've been shopping around for an alarm and can't make up my mind on what to get.

I've been looking at Viper systems with 2 or 3 immobilizers that go from about 700 installed to 900 installed. The top end of that gets you a pager that beeps if your alarm goes off within about 1km of you.

Or there are cheaper Mongoose equivalents for about $200 less than the equivalent Viper system.

Both brands have the standard features: adjustable shock sensor, battery backup siren etc etc

Some of the Vipers have "code hopping" to stop someone recording then replyaying the signal sent by the remote to the alarm.

Does anyone have experience with either of these brands?

cheers

Lee

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Ah good timing for this thread!!

Ill keep an eye out for those brands. I had a cyclops immobiliser on my commodore, which the govt heavily subsidised so i had no say in the matter. Is that brand any good?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I've been looking at a Viper unit that has a few nifty features. 3 point immobilization, Pager remote, Window winder, remote start etc.

The price looks to be about $1000 installed, which sounds ok to me. Any one on here work with car alarms?

G

Unregistered
I had a look at alarms and thought, why ? My mates car got broken into and we found the alarm under the car. I decided against the alarm because my car is insured anyway ... I just got a good Imobiliser. Having an alarm makes no difference to ur policy with Shannons, so wats the point ??

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Shannons told me an alarm is essential - not just an immobiliser, it must have an alarm too.

G

Unregistered
I guess it also depends where u park ur car ... Mine is locked away all day and nite ... she only comes out on special occasions to cause havok ...
If u park outside at night it would be good to hear the alarm noise before someone trashes ur car, u could also get out and slam the prick into the sewage drains if ur quick enuff ...

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
my insurance states that it must have a alarm w/immobilizer installed

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I'd like an alarm that sends 10,000volts straight through any fucker trying to scratch it.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I would like an alarm that has a force field around it to prevent eggs from hitting it.

My skyline has been hit and damaged from 2 eggs so far.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'll tell you one type to stay away from, AUTOWATCH. I had one installed and have had nothing but problems from it. It's either a dodgy alarm or its electrically incompatible with the car. Sometimes it wont activate and other times it wont go off. It's to inconsistant to figure out a pattern. Been a total pain in the ar*s. If the installer can't fix it it's coming out and I'm getting a refund.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
i was researching viper at an alarm place in wagga they can do the normal viper 3 point immobilizer with a sms and gps add on made my a US company, it then informs you of changes to the alarm and gives you a website you can track the car, you can even activate the immobilizer while the car is being driven and the system gps uses Google earth navigation as well as whereis to give you acurate within 3 meters of where the car is located, this whole system installed is 1299 plus a sim card from vodaphone as they dont expire, just keep adding some credit to the mobile prepaid account and its all good.

the guy really knew what he was talking about and seemed to be good with installations. he said the car would be needed for around 3 Days to complete the install.

i think that is what i am going to go for seems to have everything i wanted and is reasonable for what you get, i like the idea of being able to see where the car is when the alarm is first activated.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hmmm sounds interesting but a bit over what I want to spend - do you have the model number so I can ask about at an installer near me?

cheers

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wes that's a fantastic deal, exactly what I've been thinking of getting. Do you have any more info on that package? Do they have model numbers, or a website??

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'll tell you one type to stay away from, AUTOWATCH. I had one installed and have had nothing but problems from it. It's either a dodgy alarm or its electrically incompatible with the car.

Installer has agreed to replace entire alarm. We'll soon see if this one works the way it's supposed to.

Well is been about a month since the alarm has been replaced and it's been working like a charm. Much happier now.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
the alarm itself was a viper 1000 the add on module i cant remember the name of it but it was a us company, i will find out details next time i get a chance. the company i was talking to was in wagga and it was WCA (wagga Car Radio) the guy i was talking to knew allot about them and seemed really good he was also the guy that installs them.

we might be able to organise a job to get a few done and save a few dollars if a few of us are interested but its at wagga lol probably too far away.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Im looking at the viper 1000 without all that gps gear, which seems ok. Theres also a slightly cheaper cyclops system which looks better due to it being cheaper :p - has all black wires, 2 immobisers and ticks all the boxes for insurance purposes.

As long as you meet insurance requirements, you should be right - if the car is stolen and trashed/crashed, the insurance company should sort it out.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
hey all. Don't know if this will interest anyone here but i got my alarm from these guys

http://www.auaudio.com/shop06/directed-electronics-viper-791xv-p-85.html

Free postage Australia wide and then all you have to do is find someone to install it.

I dont know if it will meet insurance requirements, and i dont know how to find out either so if someone does know if they meet them let me know.

cheers

Top Bottom