Alice to Darwin National VR4 event/cruise/meet 2010

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
This was originally suggested by Kat (Kitty's VR4) so I thought I would throw this up too see how much interest we get. I'm thinking mid year during the dry as motorsport events are in full swing and that way we can time it for a drags night or track day at hidden Valley. Any thoughts?:)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah I know but seeing it's a major event involving minimum of 1 week on the road and it won't be cheap either, it's just good to see who's keen and who's commited.:)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Bit too hectic for me Dr J :redface:

I thought you would have moved back to Bris Vegas by then anyway?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I'm committed, probably closer 10-14 day trip, like the addage says you'll never never know if you never never go, we have the best back yard in the world, this trip would be an awesome corner of our backyard. Perhaps we could combine a couple of workshops. Raise some money for a worthy charity along the way....

Logistically it will take some organising, hence the 2nd half of 2010 date.

SO WHOSE INTERESTED????????

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Bit too hectic for me Dr J :redface:

I thought you would have moved back to Bris Vegas by then anyway?

The way things are looking we'll be here for a few more years. Local Gov't and councils are constantly pushing development despite the economy. Good for the business.

Great start already guys!! Keep em coming!

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Nice plan and I am interested but I couldn't say that I will come or not either.

*gorgath is pondering what if you broke down in the middle of nowhere?:eek:*

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Nudge (aka Santa) has pledged to bring his "Cayenne S" and a car trailer as a support vehicle for just such an event, will get you to a TNT depot for the return trip home, part of the logistics required....... If anyone is unlucky enough to have a failure I'm sure that other members will step up to the plate so you can continue with us, by the time you get back your broken beast will be waiting for you at home.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I've been out in the sticks (yes, even more further out in the sticks than Tamworth!!) and its not as bad these days as you may think. I spent a lot of time at Camerons Corner and that district when i was a kid :D

As long as you have the essentials (Water, UHF, Phone that may possibly work, a spare tyre or 2 and travelling partners) you will be fine.... You lot will probably just stick to the highways anyway haha

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Nudge (aka Santa) has pledged to bring his "Cayenne S" and a car trailer as a support vehicle for just such an event, will get you to a TNT depot for the return trip home, part of the logistics required....... If anyone is unlucky enough to have a failure I'm sure that other members will step up to the plate so you can continue with us, by the time you get back your broken beast will be waiting for you at home.

This is looking sensational already!!! The trailer idea is awesome with not having to wait for a tow truck. BTW I pledge my back yard for those wanting to save $$$ and pitch a tent.

I've been out in the sticks (yes, even more further out in the sticks than Tamworth!!) and its not as bad these days as you may think. I spent a lot of time at Camerons Corner and that district when i was a kid :D

As long as you have the essentials (Water, UHF, Phone that may possibly work, a spare tyre or 2 and travelling partners) you will be fine.... You lot will probably just stick to the highways anyway haha

Yep, mobile coverage is pretty well constant on the Stuart Hwy. Usually problems rear their ugly heads on short local driving so a good highway trip would do our cars a lot of good.:)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Just on mobile coverage, Vodafone and Optus coverage is limited i.e. Alice Springs Yes, then dead till Tennant Creek then dead till Katherine then dead till Darwin, there is coverage in both Litchfield and Kakadu Parks. As long as we travel as a convoy with support Vehicle in rear (nudge has sat fone and uhf).

Biggest concern I see is 98 Octane Fuel, but if we all have 2x20litre jerry cans it will be ok.... just incase servo's have run out so we can make the next servo, additionally use the jerrycans for where the cost of fuel is BS some road houses charge $2.00+ per litre. Nudge's car trailer has a rack on the front that he carries his race tyres on... I'd say it could handle 15-20 jerry cans, will confirm this and let you know..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Biggest concern I see is 98 Octane Fuel, but if we all have 2x20litre jerry cans it will be ok.... just incase servo's have run out so we can make the next servo, additionally use the jerrycans for where the cost of fuel is BS some road houses charge $2.00+ per litre. Nudge's car trailer has a rack on the front that he carries his race tyres on... I'd say it could handle 15-20 jerry cans, will confirm this and let you know..

Octane Booster?

These cars will run on 91 octane too, but its just not good for them with prolonged use....

Sounds like you guys are really getting into this one! Would be awesome to see it go ahead :bigsmile:

G

Unregistered
I will be there and may be able to bring another support vehicle as well if needed. I wont have a full car trailer just a half trailer (for the front wheels then drag the other set). I will have a VR4 Leggie by then!!!! I can organize for the SA crew to get to Alice from here it would probably be good if someone from each state would be able to do the same for their state.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Great idea Tommo; to have a facilitator to each state. ***Puts hand up for NT***:)

G

Unregistered
I should be able to bring a tool kit and do a few small repairs but ppl will have to bring the spares. Mostly hoses and belts. I will be able to bring the basic recovery kit ie. 2-3 of all the belts, oil, filters, spark plug leads, alternator and coolant hoses. As most of us will be wagons we should be able to fit a small tub of spares. if anyone has a set of stockies I should be able to get a new set of tyres to suit so anyone with a flat can use if Nudge can hold a few on his trailer (if he comes).

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LoL Tommo,

Nudge will definitely be there, he loves the territory and never misses an op to get up there, we have just got back from a 5 week run up there, took his new toy up to run it in. Also confirmed there is actually 2 racks on front of trailer, he says will take 16 jerry cans and a set of tyres....

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
make it for march,hopefully we can get up their for the run off,lol,if i still have my leggy or at least any car that fits my baitcasters ill try come.

i love darwin

Top Bottom