Alternators - Need Help Please

Jimmy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
99 Galant VR4
My alternator has really Pooped itself in my 99 Galant (it's an auto... I'm sure somewhere read in one of the threads that the manual and the auto one could have been different), so I took it to an auto elecy and it needs replacing, and I have been reading threw a few threads about it, and it has left me a little confused (this could be from the late finish at work and the few birthday drinkies :) ).

Anyways since the auto elecy said he was having problems soucing a new one and couple mitsubishi dealers that he called had no idea what he was talking about, I thought I might do some asking to help things along since im missing my car :cry:

I did find the part number on the part number list thread for the gen' alternator but i was thinking the price was a little steap.

So does any other make of car's alternator fit in ours?

Or what are other options is there other then replacing it with the costly standard one?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just out of curiosity.. can't you get that alternator rebuilt? i'm pretty sure any decent auto electrical workshop can do it, for 1/4 of the price of a new one too..

Jimmy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Thank you, is there any others that will fit other then one from an FTO, I ask this due to my current remote location, it could still be abit if a pain to obtain one from a FTO?

Jimmy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
99 Galant VR4
I had asked about that and not being an auto elecy myself I just believe them when they told me it couldn't be successfully, there was a detailed reason he gave with that, and he seemed fairly honest about it.

Jimmy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
99 Galant VR4
Well thanks for the replies, I did finally get my hands on a brand new one, who would have guessed that supercheap would sell them and under half the amount from getting one from from mitsubishi :)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
James,

Can you post up the Supercheap Part # as I'm sure many members would benefit from this imformation in the future, and it can be added to the Part's # guide??

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
just out of curiosity.. can't you get that alternator rebuilt? i'm pretty sure any decent auto electrical workshop can do it, for 1/4 of the price of a new one too..

Just though I would comment on that.

I use to be an auto elec and found that certain brands are a LOT cheaper to replace than rebuild. Most of the Mitsubishi electric alternators and Nippon Denso alternators are throw away items however the Bosch ones are definitely cheaper to rebuild, depending on whats worn of course.

However there are always exceptions :)

legnum600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jason s
Drive
2000 legnum
I think this is the part # for a 97 Galant (656304) Jaylec Alternator 12v 110Amp $556.00 from supercheap.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
nice find, definitely could of used this information when I had alternator problems!
luckily my car was still under warranty and it was the dealerships problem to find a replacement, but I had a friend who is an auto electrician look at it first and the cheapest alternator he could find for it was about $900 and one from mitsi japan is $1400. I think some VR4 owners have had theirs rebuilt for about $300 though, so its still worth considering a rebuild over a replacement

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
$556 , ouch! i am sure you could buy three used FTO units for that?

how do you know the FTO alternator isn't on its way out though? with a fair bit of labor involved removing the alternator in our cars you wouldn't want to put a dud in

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I remember someone on here have had their alternator burnt out because they didnt have any heat shields on their dumps..

i think overall cost was like $2500 or so?! that's including labour..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
$556 is a pretty good price for a brand new alternator. ^ Screw that, just put it on yourself, damn thats expensive.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
SPO2078148 and SPO3444367 are remanufactured items from supercheap $379. I'm looking into it now too. Will grab one, install and see if it's apples.

JAS and AAEW also do new items through Supercheap at (supercheap part numbers)

110 amps ($644.99)
SPO2077735
SPO3443208
120 amps ($552.99)
SPO3803029
SPO3810635

I'm attempting to set up an account with JAS and see if I can get them for us at trade prices.

Top Bottom