• Work Emotion CR Kai - 18x7.5" +42

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Other - please recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Unregistered
*** I originally had this in the What Rims for your VR4? thread, but decided to start its own to hopefully get more of a response, and to add a poll :) Ive updated the other post, but if mods still don't like, feel free to move it back***

Given how I do not like the fitment of the DTM Z7's (which I'm now selling), I went on the hunt for a new set, and am caught up about which way to go.

I used some Evo VI Enkei's as a platform to go off as I reckon these were an awesome fitment on my car (not to mention look pretty decent too)

evoviwheels2zp9.jpg
evoviwheelste8.jpg

These are 17x7.5" w/ +38 offset. I was surprised at how well these fit, not so much the offset but the diameter of the wheel. I had figured with the Evo being a smaller car, the VR4 would need 18's to fill the void just as well, but I really liked how the Evo VI wheels sat in the Galant's arches. Now don't recommend me getting the Evo VI wheels because as much praise I'm giving them, they are a royal pain in the ass to clean :)

In the blue corner ...

Forged BBS Wheels from Evo 8MR/9 Power Pack - 17x8" +38

evobbssideex8.jpg
evobbsfrontib6.jpg

Don't see too many of these go around as not only are they're rare, but people don't sell them too often. When I first saw pictures of them I wasn't a fan, but I saw my first set in the flesh the other day and they look SO much better than what they do in the photos.

Pros:
  • Lightweight, only 8.1kgs each
  • Somewhat stock look (more sleeper appeal)
  • Clear Brembo's (not too much of an issue as if I couldn't fit them, then I would just upgrade the stock system, but if I can get Brembo's then I will go for it.)
  • Gunmetal Grey in colour
  • Cheaper tyres (compared to the same tyre in 18")
  • Tyres that come with them are Yokohama A046 (Standard) and have about 75-80% tread left.
Cons:
  • Only 17" (no biggy, see reference pics)
  • Stick out 6mm more than the reference pics, not a big issue coz I can use the same size tyres that are on the Evo VI rims (225 wide instead of 235 wide), lowering will probably solve this, however this is essentially the reason why I am looking at new rims, I don't want them sticking out the sides.
  • Second hand, although the ones I'm looking at are in pretty decent nick.
In the red corner ...

Work Emotion CR Kai - 18x7.5" +42

workcrkaisidesl9.jpg
workcrkaifrontmh3.jpg

Now I know these are popular, but they have to be popular for a reason right?

Pros:
  • Very popular design and I love the look of them.
  • Very good fitment
  • Fill the guards better
Cons:
  • Not cheap, cost as much as the Evo BBS, then I need to get tyres ($$$)
  • More expensive tyres
  • Wont have the aggressive concave face
  • Wont clear Brembo's (no biggy, will just get slotted rotors, better pads and braided lines instead)
  • Weigh 9.4kg each (not a big deal, but compared to the BBS wheels they are a fair bit more).
So yeah, what do you guys reckon? Getting the BBS wheels will pretty much save me $1000 up front, are a fair bit lighter and allow for bigger brakes. The CR Kai's I reckon look that tad bit better, have heaps more street appeal and provide a better fitment.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Evo BBS for performance....... + Brembo's

Work Emotion for looks :D

I have voted the BBS because its all about the performance and handling ;)

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the response.

Also forgot to chuck in pics of just the rims, for people that havent seen them before...

Work Emotion CR Kai

emotion_cr.JPG

Forged BBS from Evo

441535506_40982dc086.png

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
This is a really personal decision, Steve - its all about priorities and taste. I do think the 18's fill the guards out better, but you'll end up with greater rolling mass and a lower profile tyre (which your photos don't make all that clear, though I realise it's hard to do photoshopping rims on). As Dawso said, its performance vs looks, but IMO the BBS rims don't look bad, so I wouldn't make those sacrifices on that difference.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Work Emotion CR Kai for me.. looks similar to evo IX's

I don't quite get the offset though.. shouldn't that be around +38 or +35?!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well just looking at an ns.com sponsor, they come in 18x7.5 +48, +42, and +35, so +35 would definately give the best fit ;)

and my vote is the CR Kai's. How often are you going to be racing around a track compared to how often you'll look at your car and go "damn I'm glad I bought those wheels" :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Oh, and as for fitment, 7.5" +35 will sit 3mm further in than an 8" +38, and give you 9mm more inner clearance, so on a stock height car would be perfect.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
In the offsets that you've posted in the poll, the BBS are 100x better. The CR Kais don't look all that good in high offsets because they don't have the concave face. It is a bit like TE37s - they only look really good in something like a +15.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
What do you want to do with the car?
If its just looks then go with the Works, weight doesn't matter in that case.
If you want to get a bit serious about having a go on the track then go the BBS, every 1kg increase in rolling mass equates roughly to 10kg of car weight, the Works are 1.3kg extra per rim, so you've effectively added 52kg to your car permanently... but who gives a toss if you're going for looks :)

Enjoy then

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
CR Kais, in +35. +42 will look gay. It'd be cheaper to keep your other wheels and source some overfenders and/or flare the guards. Then it'd be a win/win.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I think the bbs ones look pretty dam good and considering the works are so much more expensive, id stick with them - plus you'll have rims taht clear the brembos plus 1k to spend on them

G

Unregistered
cr kai's for me...hands down, for the same reason as lee (hotwire).

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the response's guys, Greatly appreciated.

Small update:

My mate let me test fit his one of his Enkei's on my car, fortunately its 17x8" with a +38 offset, so this will give me a good indication of what the Evo Rims (including Evo VII, VIII, IX) would look like.

mg6650ka3.jpg
mg6654sf9.jpg

mg6651rt1.jpg

To be honest, I reckon this looks it sticks out a little too far. I've seen quite a few VR4's with Evo rims through OZVR4 and ClubVR4 which have such rims and don't see how people like them sticking out. Is it just a sacrifice that people make to run wider tyres? Trying to fit the brembo's? Or something else?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
No he doesn't, he needs to lower it lol. Use the natural cambering in of the suspension and they'll sit inside easy.

Don't be weak :p

G

Unregistered
:)

Looks like I need both to achieve what I want. I would prefer to avoid the wheel arches if possible though. I understand how lowering will introduce camber so they'll fit under much better, but it's not like the whole wheel moves in a bit, looking at the frontal profile it will stick out just as far although the top will fit under the guards.

I might as well try and lower my car, then do a refit of the wheels and go from there. Hehe, problem again though ... Ive ordered Bilstein's, which are on there way from Germany, still around 10 weeks away. I spose I could grab the set of springs I'm looking at now and temporarily fit them?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Just remember though if you get the guard extension's you only gain visual clearance and not physical clearance if the car is low enough to come in contact with them.

Nothing saying you cant trial fit your springs, just means you have to pull them out and put them in the Bilsteins later.

Top Bottom