Anyone running a sub in their galant parcel shelf.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Hi all just wondering if anyone has installed a 8in sub into the factory hole in their galant at all? And if so how did it sound. And what did you use?
I am thinking of putting one in as I don't want to take up too much room in my boot as I'll need room for a pram and baby stuff. But want to give my audio a bit of bass
I've replaced all my speakers with alpine type r's. And I have an amp in the car already.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Mine has the factory one in there but it isn't hooked up. I will be putting one in there to free up boot space, as I have a separate box in the boot that is too big.

I'll wire up the factory one and see how it sounds.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Mine has the factory one in there but it isn't hooked up. I will be putting one in there to free up boot space, as I have a separate box in the boot that is too big.

I'll wire up the factory one and see how it sounds.
Sweet as. Let us know what it's like. I'm not after a huge amount of bass

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
The new car (Liberty) has a factory sub, exactly in the location of the Galant, if it existed.

I looked at upgrading it as the factory one is barely noticeable. Did my research, there were a few drop in replacements, but I couldn't find anyone happy with the output from a 8" sub. I eventually gave up on the idea as I would have to pull apart the side air bags to get to the parcel shelf, and then add a spacer so the sub wouldn't hit the rods to open the boot.

Just said screw it and put in a proper 12". Lost a bit of boot space, but no big deal. I don't even know why I contemplated an 8" sub. The 12" is night and day difference. Glad I didn't bother hacking up the parcel shelf.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Still got plenty of room for my bike rack and a boot full of shopping. The Galant boot is actually bigger.

19222674_1564146513615694_2414677293110686284_o.jpg

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
ill look into this more once i have done my battery relocation. as the current amp wiring isn't up to my standard

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Same here Gav, gonna drop in an 8 inch sub into the parcel tray when I get my act together with the rest of the audio system. Don't want a lot of extra bass, but want to make use of all the holes! and prefer the boot space for family stuff. Let you know how it sounds when I do it.

Reactions: Gav

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
from what I heard free air (subs designed to be in a parcel tray not in a box) 8" subs are hard to come by in good quality. but Id love to give a normal type Alpine R 8" a go as they are still something like 1000rms for a wee sub, plenty enough for the likes of music I listen to

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
from what I heard free air (subs designed to be in a parcel tray not in a box) 8" subs are hard to come by in good quality. but Id love to give a normal type Alpine R 8" a go as they are still something like 1000rms for a wee sub, plenty enough for the likes of music I listen to

Something something Adam wants a _Galant_

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
Never! But an 8" sub mounted into the side pannel of a legnum.boot trim insteaf of a huge box which intrudes into tje boot space would be nice.
My silver FL like yours had the factory sub enclosure, I've never seen another one even on the forums! Unfortunately it had the stock sub in it which I promptly blew up and never got around to replace it. It seemed to have a really good seal around the edges where it meets the cabin.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
No. If I was going to replace a stock sub, I would just get a Kicker or something that's off the shelf locally.

I ended up getting a single 12". No point spending the money on an 8" sub that sounds very similar to stock. If you're getting a sub, do it properly and make it worthwhile.

Top Bottom