Are banks keen on doing loans for imports?

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
has ANYONE on here had sucess with a bank on getting a car loan from them when it involved importing the car? ie. they'd have to give you the money for the car before compliance? if so... who and how?

otherwise, how do you all import? do you have the full amount in cash ready to go?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
You will have to put it thru as an Unsecured Loan which is around 11-13%. Either that or push for Secured (dunno about your chances) around 7-8%.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
oh ok, i can see how you could get secured without engine numbers, rego etc?
has anyone on here got a secured loan for a leggy while importing? i dont like my chances.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
just apply for a personal loan, mine was a unsecured personal loan (14.9%) around the 12-16% is normal these days

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
mine is about the same. If you can pay extra, it will save you lots of interest. easier as well when time comes to sell your car.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
yeah its not a bad idea, might be a problem with the personal loan considering i already have one with me and the mrs having a joint loan from our wedding still owing $20K... hmmm.

bloody weddings. maybe ill just get a secured car loan and buy a leggy in my state.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Why not get a Secured Loan and get your VY listed then once you have the leggy, you can call the bank and arrange the to change it.

I've done this twice with St George but this is back in 2001 so not so sure about there current policy nowadays.

bj82

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brad
Drive
99 SII Legnum VR4
Banks are pretty willing to give loans, its how they make big fluffy profit pillows to sleep on while the rest of us eat tins of beans for lunch 3 weeks running.
They don't really care if you aren't going to be able to pay it back, they just sell your shit and recover the full ammount plus what they would lose on interest.
Personal loans = fiscal rape.
If you have your own place look into line of credit which is borrowed against the equity in your place.
If not save like scottsman.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I know this is horribly wrong, but look at the rates for an unsecured loan, and then compare with some of the bigger banks low interest credit cards. You might just find that it's cheaper and easier to secure a credit card than it is to secure a loan for a car.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
Lol, I'm talking like $5k! That's all the difference I'll need.
I earn pretty reasonable money, $5k loan isnt that big deal.
Better than the $16k I owe on the ss! Lol.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Would they even care about having much security for a $5k loan? They'd prob just want to look at your pay and be like mehhh whatever here take it

G

Unregistered
Can't put it on your credit card? Sometimes for small amounts they suggest you do that instead.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
People have been through this already, and it was a PITA from what I recall....

Probs best off getting a Personal Loan. For only $5k the difference in intrest rate will mean SFA :)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
When applying for a loan, they also care about the age of the vehicle, as my pre f/l was more then 10 years they would not do a secured loan. Doesn't really matter as I paid it out in 11 months, but for someone looking to have it for the full 5 years.... the interest rate would hurt... alot.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
TBH it sounds like you have enough loans already, 20k wedding, 16k SS - I'd be trying to sell that SS before I'd think about more loans. Just my thoughts

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
That's the plan mate. Was just curious if I should try import or buy local. Looks like it'll be easier to just buy local even if I have to pay a couple grand more. Cheers fellas!

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
That's IF you won't have a hard time selling the VY since it is encumbered.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I got both my Legnums on personal loans.
The bank had no drama rolling my current debts with the extra loan into one weekly payment, as I could show them that I was having no problem paying them off.
I even told them I was buying a car in Japan & bringing it personally as a special purchase & the lady was quite enthusiastic about it all & wanted to know about the car etc.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
That's IF you won't have a hard time selling the VY since it is encumbered.

Ive sold 3 cars encumbered. Always sold them for more than I owe and paid out the loan. Wouldn't worry me if they sent the check to my bank and I just collected the difference if they were worried. Some of us are honest you know ;o)

anyways, i didn't start this thread to defend my ability to pay off a loan or the ability to sell my ss. Simply needed some info on loans and imports. Cheers thanks guys. Got the info I needed.

[/THREAD] lol

Top Bottom