Auto Lost 3rd/4th/5th

Pentagram

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jordan
Drive
Legnum COTY VR4
(Originally posted on CVR4)
Hey I've seen some other posts with the same issues but non of them have an ending so I don't know what they did to solve the problem.

Cruising on motorway in 5th without any warnings it lost drive. Pulled over, checked oil and dipstick was near max. Turned car off/on, started driving 1st and 2nd gear are fine went into 3rd and lost drive after 4-5 seconds in gear. Drove it in 2nd for 15miles to my appointment and got it recovered home. Had no signs before hand. Put about 1l of ATF in when it got home. Unplugged battery, ran codes and only got 1(65). Left it sat for like a week or 2, took it for a quick spin round the block to see if any new codes came up after driving and got (43). While driving it went into 3rd and had drive, went into 4th and had drive for 4-5 seconds and then lost drive in both 3rd and 4th.

1st, 2nd and reverse work fine.

Codes
43: 3 speed complete control of transmission
65: APS system, or TPS

I was about to buy a new gearbox but saw someone else that had this issue and they replaced their gearbox and it didn't solve anything.

I'm wondering if anyones had this exact same problem. I tried searching on here and couldn't see it. Seen plenty that have lost random gears. Like I said above I found people with the exact same problem on CVR4 but they didn't reveal their fix. Ideally save myself time and money.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Car is a (PFL)COTY Legnum VR4 1997.
EDIT2: On the motorway it did go into limp mode (Neutral/Drive flashing) Hasn't gone into limp mode since turning it off/on on the motorway

Pentagram

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jordan
Drive
Legnum COTY VR4
Found this wire cut through on top of gearbox under MAF.

IMG-20181029-WA0023.jpeg

Just a ground. Car felt like it ran better but still same issues. Looks like where they've tried to convert the speedo they cut the wrong wire and left it.

Argon deMad

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Argon
Drive
1997 vr4 wagon
1996 vr4 ute
I can't help. But I'm in same boat.
My 97 did same 2 years ago .
Transmission guy said it was electrical.
800 later sparky said no issues.
3k later I had trans rebuilt. They said it wasn't needed.
It worked for about 3 thousand Kay's.
Same boat again.
New sparky can't find a fault.
No response from transmission people.
I did the mechanical work.

Top Bottom