Auto Trans Problems

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
Hi guys

I have a FL auto leggy and changes seem to be a fair bit rough which maybe? a characteristic of the legnum as ive only ever driven mine.

However my main problem is I could swear whenever the steering wheel is full or near full lock turning the gears seem to miss (idling high) and then suddenly hit me into gear.

Any ideas? Please dont tell me I need a new box...cars due for a normal sevice

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
When did you last change the oil, how much did you use and what type of oil was it?

If the answer is never then you need to hurry up and get it changed

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Get your gearbox serviced and make sure its done properly with the right fluid. They need to be serviced fairly regularly, like no more then 30,000kms. A transmission cooler is a good idea if you dont have one already.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As the guys suggested, trans service (Use ONLY Mitsubishi SPIII!) and a good transmission cooler should see those issues resolved.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
As the guys suggested, trans service (Use ONLY Mitsubishi SPIII!) and a good transmission cooler should see those issues resolved.

BP Autran SP3 is also good. Is 30,000kms the regular intervals? Shit I get mine flushed every 10,000kms. Must be the leftover paranoia from owning Grandpa.
Trans cooler is pretty much a must on these cars. It's a good insurance policy.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Sounds like you've got smelly old Dexron in there.
The exact same thing happened to my Legnum when it had the wrong oil in the transmission.

Don't drive the car anymore. Get it out of there immediately, full flush, install a heavy duty oil cooler, top it up with fresh factory ATF and you'll be set.

Let us know how you go mate.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
BP Autran SP3 is also good.
It's exactly the same stuff, but I haven't been able to find the BP branded SP3 for anything less than twice the price of the DiamondQueen SPIII (and sometimes as much as three times). While it's good to know there's an alternative, it doesn't help much if it costs so much.

Amsoil also do an SPIII that is suitable, assuming you can find (and afford) it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Over here we can only buy Mitsi SP3 which has Castrol on the side of it (a BP company) from Mitsi dealerships!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
BP Autran SP3 is also good. Is 30,000kms the regular intervals? Shit I get mine flushed every 10,000kms. Must be the leftover paranoia from owning Grandpa.

I just put that so there was no confusion caused, but yes Brad, that will work also.

In regards to Trans servicing, I would service every 10k km, and flush every 20k but I would be in the same boat as you man with the fear of blowing another trans!

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
Guys I wish I wrote this earlier. My car is now stuck in 3rd gear and the the light flashes on N (neutral) my mechanic can only look at it this Monday but I need to use it this Saturday for Dj equipment. What to do?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Buy new SPIII and twice as much DEXIII. Drain your auto of the evil fluid and refill with the DEXIII. Start your car and change between neutral and each gear, back and forth until you've been through each gear. Once that's done, drain the DEXIII and repeat. This process should flush all the crap fluid out including the shit sitting in the torque converter. Now you should fill up for the third and final time with the SPIII.

Fingers crossed your transmission is ok and your not up for thousands getting your box rebuilt.

DISCLAIMER: Any work you do to your car is your responsibility, I will not be held accountable for any damage/destruction/injury/explosions.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
My post got deleted from here too Brad :(

Josh, put the right oil in and a trans cooler. The third gear thing is limp mode. It got too hot basically. 3rd is full mechanical drive which is why it uses it.

Disconnect battery, reconnect and strat car, find reverse first, then drive. It should be OK from there if you NEED to move it.

Don't drive it or it WILL shit itself.

Good luck mate

Top Bottom