Automatic Transmission Gate Cover

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I was just wondering if there is supposed to be a cover over the gear selection gate on the automatic legnum? Most cars have a plastic slider that moves with the lever to hide the bits underneath. Most photos don't show this so I just wondered if I was missing a bit of whether they were all like it. Cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah they do have one originally, not sure of the part number though sorry

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Anyone have a pic of one? Just curious to see what it looks like.

G

Unregistered
Mine broke a little while ago too. I was trying to clean a mark of it and pushed a little too hard. The plastic gets very brittle. Just head to a dealer and show them, its the same one as the FTO I think.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Find me a photo of what you're looking for, or even where it SHOULD be and I might be able to find a part number and price...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I wandered around in caps before and couldn't see it. It should be on the centre console section

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Yeah im also after one of these. Cosmetically it's all good but I wonder about the amounf of dust etc that gets in the open hole.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Under the center console the shifter will have a big arse rubber boot on it where it enters the transmission.

I'd be more worried about loosing change and skittles down the hole.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Make your own custom one IMO

I done one in an old falcon, come up real nice :)

G

Unregistered
i can only find the whole cover (the chrome/black piece with the P-R-N-D on it)

chrome is MR430065
black is MR305457

FYI - mitsubishi dont actually called it chrome, its 'titan (titanium) plating' :p

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Yeah I was thinking of making my own as well. What do you suggest I use? I assume it is like most other cars except that I will need the cover to be wider to allow for tiptronic use. I guess I will have to remove the console and work out how to do it. Is it easy enough to remove the gear lever? A grub screw?

G

Unregistered
pop the button off, then remove the 10mm nut on top of the shaft

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You'll laugh but i actually used a plastic documents folder and cut it to shape and moulded it with a bit of heat. I stuck two layers together to get the thickness and strength required as well.....

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
No I won't laugh at that as someone else already suggested that to me. I will work something out. Weekend job! Any excuse to tinker with the car will do.:ROFLMAO:

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
Well people I took the woodgrain cover surrounding the gate off and then tried to remove the centre console except it seemed to get stuck in the middle. Is there a way of getting the front pocket out? I got the rear pocket out easily and removed the two screws at the rear and got that all loose. I managed to undo the two rear screws that hold the gate cover in place but something holds it at the front too. Anyone know what or how to remove? I just put it all back together and now realise I should have taken some pics to explain better my problem. Well I am sure with everyone else on here having more experience someone will have my answers. Cheers

G

Unregistered
The bit for holding the cups in place has to be prised out first and then it will lift out. It just clips back in when you refit the cup holder

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I will have to have another look at it. That one must be held in a lot tighter than the big pockets under the console lid. I will have to use a little bit of elbow grease then.

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
mines missing too. Anyone who has replaced theirs want to post up a template for anyone wanting to make their own please?

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
I was wondering if it is just flat or whether it is meant to be curved? I was thinking if it is fairly flat I could make a nice polished one to match the chrome surround. Pics would be useful.

A side note, is the - and + for tiptronic meant to illuminate with lights on too? Mine doens't but the P R N D do.

G

Unregistered
I mean the part with the number 74114b in the pic

Attachments

• ASAfpi.JPG
    ASAfpi.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom