AYC barring up (in a straight line, light acceleration)

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Picked up the car today after rocking back into town and had to go get a new battery. No dramas, get the battery in, as im taking off from the battery place the gearbox/diff started making a terrible whirring/groaning sound and all 3 AYC lights came on. I pulled over and it stopped, so started again very slowly, but it did the same thing.

So i stopped the car and turned it off for a minute, and restarted and everything was fine. A few light corners and the AYC seems to be functioning normally now.

Should i be worried about this or could it just be one of those things that happens??

G

Unregistered
AYC barring up, hahahahha...

perhaps its low on fluid, and because its been sitting there for so long, all the fluid was sitting at the bottom

G

Unregistered
check all tyre pressures, and fluid level/condition

ive had the ayc light come up a couple of times for no reason,

electrically gremlins IMO, as long as it isnt on going i wouldnt worry to much,

but if you havent done a full rear diff/ayc service i would recommend getting it done.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
cheers for the replies

I had driven it for 1/2 an hr to get to the shop. I did mean to check the tyre pressures but in my extreme sleep deprived state meant i forgot to do it while at the servo :p

ill just see if it does it again, hopefully not.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If it is grinding then normally that is a fluid problem. Perhaps it was due to being there for so long and having no oil in the usual locations. Bit of a strange one though!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Dion - I had the same thing happen to me when I drove the car after sitting in my garage for 2 weeks.... did the same as you, stopped turned it off and waited. Never done it again... Checked my AYC fluid, was topped up and nice and pink. Not sure what or why either?!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i'd say its uneven tyre wear at the front and back.. had the exact issue when i had my original wheels.. was 205/55r16 fronts and 225/50r16 rears..

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Big revival. I came upon this post while searching for other stuff and thought I would answer it incase anyone else experiences it.
Due to the AYC on our car (and Evos) it requires a steering angle sensor to tell the AYC the degree of steering wheel rotation. When disconnecting and reconnecting a battery on these cars (and Evos) always do it with the steering wheel straight. Otherwise once you connect the battery the Steering angle sensor will think the car is constantly turning at high speed but in reality your crusing down a straight road doing 80k's. This will cause the AYC to trigger, hence the lights. If you drive the car like this for a long time the AYC fluid will burn and will burn out your AYC clutch packs.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
That's fascinating thanks for the tip.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Mmm, certainly a quite important thing to know... I might reset mine as I do a shitload of cornering (yay living on a mountain) :)

G

Unregistered
Is this able to be checked in EvoScan? I can't remember if it shows the steering angle.

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Sorry to bring up an old thread, just on what was said before. My car got new front tyres last week and needs a wheel alignment, due to the machine my car doesn't fit on and I couldn't get an alignment. Anyway my steering is like a quarter turn left when straight normal driving. My ayc red light came on yesterday and is staying on. Is this a symptom of bad steering alignment. And is there any way to check the error?

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
another mini thread mine.

not sure to start a new thread, but i guess its all related.

occasionally i have 1 green AYC bar that lights up.

obviously when im giving it the beans, but sometimes when im cruising around 80 and usually with a bit of weight in the back (3 kids under 7).

tyre pressures are fine, 38 all round, and the only thing thats been done are new tyres and a lower (coilovers).

the car sits pretty level side to side (the most minute amount of rake) but the guard to centre wheel measurements are the same at the fronts and at the backs.

the rear tyres are different though. same size, but one's an XL (thicker side walls) and the other isnt.

could this be the culprit?

G

Unregistered
green lights are ok its the red ones you need to worrie about

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Can you measure tyre/wheel height on the XL combo? When I had your issue it was a tyre going flat due to puncture. AYC alerted me before it got too bad, around 20 psi.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
d3ck5, re: rear tires...

ayc will keep engaging since the system detects incorrect wheel speeds on either sides..

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
just to add to this, i had the car up on axle stands and was fiddling with the steering in such a way that the wheels were straight when the car was turned off, then at full lock when the ignition was turned back on. it seems the steering angle sensor got confused and thought the wheels were still straight (because the ignition was off when the wheels were rotated to full lock) since the car then activated the AYC in a straight line (the green bars , no the AYC light) anything above walking pace (forward or reverse). i pulled the AYC fuse to allow me to get going, but then disconnected the battery overnight and after reconnecting (with the wheels pointing forward) it was all fine again. im sure the computer would normally cope with that situation but i wonder how many clutchpacks have been fried on the odd occasion when it doesnt, and people dont notice till its too late..

wierdly the battery had gone flat the night before, but i had driven it for 50km fine before putting it on the axles stands, so it doesnt add up that the flat battery confused the ECU, but its odd that it occured so shortly after, and considering the excellent advice from jonson above re changing batteries

anyway hope that helps the next person to encounter something similar

Top Bottom