Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Tell me, is it true that Mitsubishi now use SPIII in the AYC clutch pack rather than actual "AYC fluid" ?????????

Here is a quote from an EVO forum:

"The whole mechanism uses three kinds of fluid. Gear oil for the open diff., Dextron II for the hydraulics and SP III for the AYC clutches. AYC fluid is apparently no longer available so SP III has been substituted."

Quote found here http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=9730 dated 28th Oct 2002

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Actually Craig from memory the official service update from Mitsubishi states the AYC takes SPII, and SPIII is its direct replacement. I haven't seen anything (so far) that mentions a lubricant called AYC fluid, so I wouldn't worry that you're using a sub-par product - Mitsubishi (under the Diamond brand, which is part of Mitsubishi) manufacture SPIII for these systems :)

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Oh cool I was concerned because the manual stated to use the following for the Torque Transfer Mechanism

Specified gear oil:
MITSUBISHI GENUINE DIA QUEEN SUPER AYC FLUID
Quantity used: 0.70

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Service updates were issued by Mitsi to update the service workshops on errors and additions in the original manuals, so maybe that's where it got changed? I'll take a look for you tonight anyway.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Cheers Trevor

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've just gone through the manuals I have and the service bulletins, and unfortunately I must have gotten confused somehow 'cause I can't find the section on the AYC I thought I recalled...

HOWEVER, I've just gone through the Japanese 6A13TT manual I have and, with the help of Altavista's Babelfish, I found this under the AYC service section:

Designated fluid: Mitsubishi genuine diamond queen ATF - SPII amount used: Approximately 1.0dm3

For those who have downloaded it and want to find it for themselves, its under section 27, page 48 :)

Esoteric

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
2001 Galant VR-4
Having carried out an AYC service on delivery of my car, I've looked at the work order from MMC and can confirm the following was used:

A/Trans Fluid (MMSP-III)
Lockstop 90 Ltd slip oil

Hopefully that helps? :)

sharky

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 VR4 Legnum Type S
Hi.
I recently changed my AYC clutch pack fluid. My Mitsi dealer still sells genuine AYC fluid here in Auckland. Paid ~$25 for a litre can. The fluid part no. is: MZ102520. It is definitely different(smells different and viscosity differs from ATF SPIII fluid). The color though is the same(ruby red). Try to use genuine specified Mitsi fluid because if the AYC goes tits up, repairs can be costly!

The AYC reservoir in the boot does take SPIII but requires a MUTII connected as bleeding is required. It does not need regular changing:) -or toping up. my car has done 210000km and the fluid is still ruby red!

Top Bottom