AYC gasping noise

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
well I assume Les knew what he was doing when he did the AYC service so Im sure their all ok. Looks like Ill be getting the pressure switch - Ill just remove the fuse until I can afford it!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys bringing this back from the dead, Simon how did you go did you get it fixed?

To everyone else, was out driving today, around 2 hours then a break for a few hours then back driving for 2 hours, anyway toward the end of my journey I noticed a noise like something rubbing on something else at low speeds(it goes on, off, on, off every couple of seconds).

I got a mate to jump out of the car and have a listen and we have limited it to the AYC pump area so presumably the pump, after reading around the forum I went and checked the AYC reservoir its been about 30 min since Ive stopped driving and its right in the middle of the word 'min'.

Could this be the cause of the problem and should I bleed the pump or top it up or service it or what and how safe is it to drive? The car has only done 45*** km.

Thanks in advance guys.

Macca

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would simply top it up with SP3 and go for another drive and see what happens.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I have to drive 40min to get to the auto store, will it be ok to drive it there? Also if i ask the guys there for some SP3 will they know what im talking about or should I ask for a specific brand of oil?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So, probably jumping the gun here, but if i fill it up and the noise goes, I wont need to bleed it or anything will I?

The noises had me a bit worried there, even though its still under warranty I didn't want to be without the car. Hopefully that will fix her. Hey that SP3 can be used in the power steering too cant it?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
So, probably jumping the gun here, but if i fill it up and the noise goes, I wont need to bleed it or anything will I?

If the noise stops completely i think you will be ok. But if in doubt, have the AYC completely changed and bled. Just remember, at compliance they don't change or probably even look at the AYC fluid.

Hey that SP3 can be used in the power steering too cant it?

Yep!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
This is a question i have always wanted to ask. With mine, i don't have the same noise as people describe when referring to weird AYC noises, nor do i have any other AYC symptoms but nearly every time the car takes off for the fist time after starting, i get a noise from the rear of the car not unlike a power antenna would make going up, it last usually for maybe 3 seconds and does come from the rear of the car. As i said, it only does it the first time the car drives off, even just pulling out of the garage in a straight line and not before the car starts to move. Other than that particular noise, i have no other noises what so ever coming from the rear of the car whilst driving, straight or 2-3 bars...

G

Unregistered
Buy yourself Evoscan and a cable so you do a DIY bleed. It will pay for itself the first time around.

I get that noise from the AYC on every outing as well. Seems normal.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
What exactly is an evo scan and cable? Is that a program you can use to show the stats of your car ect?

G

Unregistered
What exactly is an evo scan and cable? Is that a program you can use to show the stats of your car ect?

Yes, it can tell you everything what your sensors and ECU are doing and also error codes plus activating the AYC/ABS. Very handy.

For more info: www.limitless.co.nz

Are you talking about my noise?

Yes, exactly as you describe.

This is a question i have always wanted to ask. With mine, i don't have the same noise as people describe when referring to weird AYC noises, nor do i have any other AYC symptoms but nearly every time the car takes off for the fist time after starting, i get a noise from the rear of the car not unlike a power antenna would make going up, it last usually for maybe 3 seconds and does come from the rear of the car. As i said, it only does it the first time the car drives off, even just pulling out of the garage in a straight line and not before the car starts to move.

That's the same noise I get. Usually after backing out and changing into Drive.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Where do you get the cables? So you just load it onto your laptop then plug the cable into your car and it tells you oil temp, boost, water temp, all that sort of stuff? Is it easy to use?

G

Unregistered
Yes, lots of stuff but not boost unless you add a MAP sensor because our cars don't use one. Limitless sell the cables too or you can buy an eBay special but you may need to modify it. Read the Dataloggers thread for more info.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I get this noise too - since my last AYC bleed once i had a pipe replaced (i was losing LOTS of AYC fluid when i split an AYC pipe - had a new pipe made to match the old one to fix the split, and since they bled it that time, its been making this noise.)

EXACTLY as you describe, like an antenna going up kinda buzz/whine noise for a couple of seconds. Though its not ONLY when the car is just started, i SOMETIMES get it when i go up a driveway on an angle, and for the first week after the new pipe was fitted i actually got it alot when taking corners, though now it seems its mainly just when the car is first started.
Yes, they did bleed the system when they changed the broken pipe.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Though its not ONLY when the car is just started, i SOMETIMES get it when i go up a driveway on an angle, .

Yep, i drive straight out of my car hold then UP my driveway and the noise stops by the time i get to the top....around 3 sec or so. All in a straight line. Sounds like it is normal...*Knocks on wood*

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I haven't noticed this noise in mine, and my exhaust isn't loud enough to drone it out, so i'll listen really carefully next time I start her up and see if i notice a noise from the back. It does sound pretty normal though.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
yeah i can hear it from inside the car, but even louder if standing outside.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
yeah i can hear it from inside the car, but even louder if standing outside.

Yep, i noticed it from the outside for the first time as my wife drove the car up the DW and i was behind it outside. Much louder outside.

Top Bottom