AYC Issues - Steering Sensor?

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Hi guys,
As the "all stupid questions/too lazy to search" thread has been closed and I can't seem to find anything I thought I would start a new thread here.

The other week I reversed out of my driveway, got a about two houses away and noticed all 3 AYC bars were lit up!!! Awww bugger, I turned the stereo down and heard a gut wrenching sound coming from the back end, cancelled my dinner plans and limped back into the driveway.

After checking for seized callipers or busted wheel bearings I "solved" the issue by removing the AYC fuse and the noise was gone, car drove fine. So I'm asssuimng it's something AYC and electronic.

Took the car in to get diagnosed today and they weren’t too much help but gave me the read out below which has the steering sensor at 508 degrees right! The angle speed was working when moving the wheel.
The guy who looked at it wasn't too sure about Legnums or even Evo's despite what the service manager told me. Basically he wasn't sure if it's because the computer wasn't picking it up correctly or because the sensor was in fact rooted. They gave me the following part number MB863853 for a new sensor $300 ordered from O/S and went on my way not really any much more the wiser.

So basically I'm turning to you guys to see if anyone is familiar with the issue, could it be the steering sensor, how do I go about diagnosing/resolving this issue because I would really like my AYC back!

IMG_0833.JPG

G

Unregistered
Remove the AYC fuse.
Disconnect the battery and dispel the residual charge in the car (hold brake pedal down for 10 secs and flash your high beams for 5 secs) to reset rest the ECU
Make sure the wheels are pointing dead straight
Make sure the Steering wheel is aligned with the, and it is pointing straight, dead centre.
Reconnect battery and restart car with the reset ECU.

Hopefully it recalibrates your steering angle to normal.
I did this a few years back to solve a steering sensor error and it has been fine for 25,000km;s :)

Failing that, it may be a mechanical/electrical component is busted or not connected/working properly.

Rex Everything

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
1997 Legnum
Thankyou Mr Legnum, followed your steps and solved the issue!

Just went for a boost in the wet and got the lights working in all the right places :)

Cheers guys, come to SA and I'll buy you a beer!

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
98 PFL Legnum VR-4, 2005 VZ SSZ, 1991 Cressida (1jz converted)
I have a similar problem, can a rooted abs sensor also cause this?

Hope so since I have replacement one coming.

G

Unregistered
Thankyou Mr Legnum, followed your steps and solved the issue!

Just went for a boost in the wet and got the lights working in all the right places :)

Cheers guys, come to SA and I'll buy you a beer!

Happy to help mate, that's why this community is so amazing, glad I could pay it forward after getting so much help here myself.
I am transporting some wheels and an exhaust up from SA this week or next, can you throw a beer in with them on the truck :p Alternately I have a mate in SA, buy him a beer and he can pay it forward next time he comes to visit me haha.
Great to hear you are driving trouble free again :D

Shane, try the same fix and see how you go :)

Jacksonoftrades

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jackson
Drive
2001 Legnum vr-4 manual
Remove the AYC fuse.
Disconnect the battery and dispel the residual charge in the car (hold brake pedal down for 10 secs and flash your high beams for 5 secs) to reset rest the ECU
Make sure the wheels are pointing dead straight
Make sure the Steering wheel is aligned with the, and it is pointing straight, dead centre.
Reconnect battery and restart car with the reset ECU.

Hopefully it recalibrates your steering angle to normal.
I did this a few years back to solve a steering sensor error and it has been fine for 25,000km;s :)

Failing that, it may be a mechanical/electrical component is busted or not connected/working properly.

So I'm having a similar AYC issue. I can drive for about 20mins or so before my AYC stops working and code 34 pops up. Steering angle sensor.

I have an aftermarket wheel installed and had to remove my clockspring to fit it. Would I be correct in assuming I need to install the clockspring & stock wheel again to prevent this fault?

Or could I plug the clockspring in, tape it at 0degrees, and stash it under the dash, leaving my aftermarket steering wheel installed?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you only need to install the clockspring as it is part of the steering wheel angle sensor.

no you cannot tape it and hide it, as mentioned your ayc senses your steering wheel angle, speed (per wheel), Throttle Position, G-sensors as well.

Jacksonoftrades

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jackson
Drive
2001 Legnum vr-4 manual
Ok. Back to stock wheel for me then. The hub for my aftermarket wheel will not allow the clockspring to mount. Damn shame, my stock wheel has a massive hole in the leather from previous owner. runs from 2-4 o'clock.
Thanks for the response.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Ok. Back to stock wheel for me then. The hub for my aftermarket wheel will not allow the clockspring to mount. Damn shame, my stock wheel has a massive hole in the leather from previous owner. runs from 2-4 o'clock.
Thanks for the response.
You can get steering wheels retrimmed fairly cheap

Top Bottom