Battery not charging, alternator problem?

Nemesis

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
97 Leg
Hey guys,

While I was driving from south side sunnybank hills to banyo I noticed my battery light turned on. Driving back home after work car was spluttering about and literally 1km away my car radio started turning on and off.

I managed to get home and pulled the battery out which is 560cca and only 5 months old. The indicator said to rechargeable battery. Put it on the charger and found my multimeter so tested it while on charge and it read 11.9-12.1v.

It is a century 58mf but it said it never needs refilling. I left it on charge overnight and the charger said it was full but the indicator still read to recharge. Tested it while on chargr and it was reading 13.9-14v.

Anyway go to put it in the car this morning and drive to work and battery light comes on again. She was idling really high aswel around 1500.

Car is my daily driver so I don't mind charging it everyday until I can afford to get an alternator if possible but would this likely be the scenario?

Cheers

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Dude, you seem to have a multimeter, why didn't you test the voltage with the engine running?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Also, high idle sounds odd, I don't know if low voltage could cause it, but I'd also consider that maybe the bearings in the alternator are gone making it run harder, or the belt is gone letting it spin easier.

Also, continuous charge-discharge of the battery can hurt it, that aren't designed to take a deep cycle, but if your battery is so new just make sure you have the warranty card lying around.

Nemesis

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
97 Leg
Yea I realize I shouldve tested it while it was running but I was already running late for work. I tested yesterday while running, before charging and it was floating around 12.5v. I'll fish around in my shoe box of receipts for the warranty when I get home today.

As far as I know all belts were changed around 30km ago. On my way to work this morning going over 2k rev the battery light would turn off and around 1800-1500 it would start to turn on again. The high idle only happened sometimes not constant. I was sitting in 4th gear driving at 60km seemed to turn light off but don't want to constantly do that.

I had a quick look on ebay for alternators ranging from 145-400 and saw the thread on removing one last night

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
The Voltage regulator went in mine and the signs were the battery light would come on randomly while driving. No rev problems though.

Nemesis

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
97 Leg
Thanks lads, 12.5v was before I charged the battery back up. Its fully charged up now but on the indicator its saying it's still needs to be recharged. I'll test it again once I put it back in after work. Mrs has the found the warranty so gonna try get them to test it aswel I'm hoping the battery is a did or else il be hunting around for an alternator

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
Well last time my alternator broken I then use 120 Amp alternator, the whole internal taken from Lancer EX 4B11 N/A alternator. I only use stock alternator outer case and replace the whole bearing with the new ones. Works perfectly. I bought it for 100 AUD as a kit. it can be used for mitsu grandis as well or maybe applied to other mitsu car. Plenty of used Lancer EX alternator in here as a result of local Mitsi recall that must be destroyed but eventually managed to escape to blackmarket he he he. Main Issue of recall is alternator pulley bearing noise. The condition of Lancer EX alternator is used but basically like new condition because only used in very short time period. if you guys here interested, we might create a group buy for 120 amp alternator kit

heres comparison pic. Lancer EX alternator on the right. noted the massive stator cooper wire inside comparing with stock 100 amp alternator

DSC_0960.JPG

Nemesis

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
97 Leg
That's awesome I haven't read anywhere where someone else used this as a replacement. Cheers for that.

Fully charged battery checked it while running only doing 12.2v so yep shagged alternator

Top Bottom