Battery Recomendations?

G

Unregistered
Autobarn at Slacks Creek. Although, I got it at cost price because Northfield Moorooka said they could do it cheaper and Autobarn matched it.

I figure that with my stereo fetish I'd should buy the best once and then I won't have to worry about upgrading for a long time. People regularly get a decade out of these babies...

Leigh

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Those ARE great batteries, Leigh. You have many many years of trouble-free use to look forward to! :D

G

Unregistered
I got a refund on my small battery and got a Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle battery too, but the smaller cheaper one that is only 5" wide and about 12kg.
Mine is a D51R, 450CCA Deep-Cycle. Got it from Batteryworld for $275.

The D31 is 27KG wow thats a heavy battery but man it has 900CCA. I was told they should last 8 years or more.
EDIT it just died didn't even make 2 years!!!!!!!!!!

optima.jpg

D51R.jpg

optimaside.jpg

G

Unregistered
I didn't realise quite how heavy it was until I tried to lift it off the shelf which was above head height. That was somewhat dangerous!! Lol...

Leigh

G

Unregistered
drop it on your head and sue!

i'm pretty sure there are laws about items over a certain weight not allowed to be placed high up, in case something like the above happens..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
In Australia the amount you'd get after 10 years in court isn't worth a broken toe, let-alone a permanent spinal injury which you'll be risking by doing that...

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Does anyone know the specific size dimensions we can use?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Well its been almost 4 years and my Century battery is starting to give up. For the last couple of weeks its been a relief when the car has started - when it doesnt I just need to use my battery jump start.

Anyway, I was just wondering if after 4 years there are new products or new recommendations out there?
Im hoping prices havent changed much and I can get something decent for around the $180 mark? Definately looking at 480cca as a minimum, and must have 3 years warranty.

I did a search on the forum but only found this thread.

If people could reply back with what make/model/power they got, how much you paid and where from, as well as your thoughts on it (eg if its a good fit, works well etc)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I only fit Optima Yellow Tops to my cars now. I really need to do the Legnums, still running the stock Jap battery. I have never had one fail and the can hold their charge when not in use for aaaages.
Expensive but I think they are worth it, especially if you are doing a stereo.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
As above. :) I am on my second one, the first was an ex-spl battery that was a bit of a whore with my mates(about 7/8 years old), has been sitting in the garage for about 6 months since its last charge and still had 12.5v charge on it, but wont last two weeks sitting in the car.. My current one will last a month, but lives on a battery reconditioner. :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Heh, funny when you see your own car in a thread.... Anyways, has anyone had any success or otherwise with lightweight drycell batteries? Eg about 11kg ish (i don't think I can afford/justify the ultra light lithium things at less than 2kg-wish I could).

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
So my 320CCA Bosch compliance battery now reads 0.5v and won't accept a charge. Door got left open and the interior light must've let it go flat.
Can it be revived or is it dead for good? I was meaning to replace it at some point as it's such low CCA and the headlights would dim while braking.
Any recommendations for something around the $150 mark? Any of the Brisbane/Qld guys recommend a specific place which has been good?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If it wont take a charge you should get rid of it, even if it gets revived somehow its still gonna die again. I think for around $150 your best off just going to an auto/battery shop and getting something off the shelf, see if anything is on special maybe. If you want to spend more, people are always raving on about those yellow optima batteries but unless your running some serious audio, I dont see the point.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Cheers fieldy, I'll take my minuscule battery to the locals and see what they've got. Can't warrant spending $400+ on a battery either. Don't even have a working stereo, let alone monster sub and amp setup.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
If it wont take a charge you should get rid of it, even if it gets revived somehow its still gonna die again. I think for around $150 your best off just going to an auto/battery shop and getting something off the shelf, see if anything is on special maybe. If you want to spend more, people are always raving on about those yellow optima batteries but unless your running some serious audio, I dont see the point.

I don't have serious audio but I really do recommend the Optima. I've got the D35 and it's fantastic... nice clean starting and if you happen to leave a light on or something overnight you're still guaranteed to start in the morning. I've also run it flat a number of times now and all it takes is a jolt from my JDM battery I keep trickle charged and it starts.

It also does help in colder climes like my mountain :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Century batteries were pretty good units.

fixed.. warranty for them now is 1 year i think..

try supercharge.. warranty is still 3 years..

the way i see it.. the longer the standard/factory warranty is, it means their stuff is good..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Thanks for suggestions Christian, is that what you use? Got a model number?

Still can't necessitate a $300 battery mattman!

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Hey Joe, I got mine from NRMA recently. It's a home brand (NRMA) battery and if you have road side assist with them they will come to you and installation and stuff is free. If I'm not mistaken it's a 370CCA battery with a 3 year warranty. I have no issues with it and it seemed really good. Cost me $149 so I was happy with that price as I too couldn't justify spending $300+ on a new battery. Also wasn't all that heavy.

Top Bottom