BC Racing coilovers - review

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Not the most ideal solution, as you still end up changing the length of the upper arm, which affects the rate of camber change.

What you need is something like the following, which changes the pivot point rather than the arm length. (excuse the NZ link) http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mitsubishi/engines/auction-418347625.htm

Good to see you got decent spring rates.

thanks Scottie, seems there aint' many options for front camber adjustment. I don't wanna get the upper ball joint, seems it'd easily hit the base of strut tower cus i'm gonna lower it fair bit.
wish they have something like this http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/catalog/buddyclub/bc.ek.cambkit-fr_g.jpg

teppei

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Henry
Drive
Black Type-V MT Galant VR4 '99
thanks,
maybe i'll get a set before the coilover installed.

yes, i perfer responsive steering feedback and i'm not planning to get rear strut bar, so i picked higher spring rate for my setup.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
those SPC uppe control arms aren't made anymore.. I would've bought it if they were still available..

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
BCs are going fine.. still the single best mod done to the car. I havent put many kays (maybe 4000) on the car (the bike is the workhorse!) so i still cant vouch for their longevity. However there is one downside.. hurtling through corners with much higher loads you would tend to on the stock suspension seems to be throwing the rear eccentric camber adjusters on a couple of occasions now. (adding 7mm toe on one side!)

I recall one of these occasions, a tight slightly uphill left hander, the car hit a sharp bump (treeroots under the ashphelt) and the whole car felt momentarily airborne, landed quite hard mid corner, (especially the rear) but almost no slide, recomposed itself in about half a length and simply carried on with utter disregard. For a 5 seat passenger wagon, the composure and agility of this car with the coilovers and other tweaks continues to impress me. yes its harsher, but the coilovers bring life and communication back from the steering and chassis that just isnt apparent on the stock, soft setup...it really brings the car alive on the twistys....

I did install the upper front wishbone anchor point adjusters (like kenneth links to above) to take out some of the front camber as it was chopping the inside front tyres. now running about -1.0 degrees or so at the front which is close to stock. More camber did sharpen turn in but at the expense of tyre wear..... i have 12kg/8kg F/R springs and its great, but id probably go 10/8 if given the choice again. if its mostly a city/family car , even consider going 8/6. ( i thinks thats still twice stock rates..) Though if the car is doing mostly city/family/wife duties, 8/6 would be worth considering.

but on those lower rates if you lower the car too much, (20mm +?? ) you would have bottoming issues in the lower range of damping adjustment under heavy, bumpy cornering..

choices..choices..

teppei

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Henry
Drive
Black Type-V MT Galant VR4 '99
thanks for the update Eddy, i think i'll set the front cambers to -1.5 or slightly less. i prefer sharp turning.
what's the camber angle you had without the front camber adjuster?(as you remember) and how much hv you lowered?
i'm running 235 tires, thinking to lower the suspensions as much as possible without hitting the gurad/fender, most likely have to roll the fenders.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
yes i prefer sharp turning as well, but less so the sharp pain in my chest when getting the bill for new tyres...

Front camber was about -1.3 degrees on both sides, due to lowering around 22 - 25mm and this camber was enough to make it really eat the inner front shoulders of the front tyres.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Great, another thanks for the update Eddy. The general consensus for these BC coilovers seem to be they are great for the money you pay and I think your reveiw may have me sold Eddy :)

Top Bottom