Best Manual Gearbox Oil?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm unsure why you would use Syntrax when Syntrans is the GL4 equivalent at the same price. Incidentally I've been able to find it for $20 a bottle, so look harder ;)

G

Unregistered
$20.00 a bottle thats good I got quoted nearly $40.00 a quart for redline mt90. But yeah the only reason I wanted to try syntrax gl5 is if it works well with evos! also I am just looking for the best plus reasonable priced product.

On second thought I will end up going with gl4 either castrol or redline. ''no more splitting conventions, I'm not some type of Maverick''. Thanks everyone.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I dont know whether this is a typo on my invoice or not but i just recently had my manual gearbox fluid changed by a ralliart mitsubishi dealer and they have put that they used spIII auto transmission oil. Would this be correct and if they have done that will it be ok.

I told them that it needed gl4 in the gearbox and the guy said he'd let the mechanic know but not to worry cos they do heaps of evo's and have done vr4s before too. Then when i looked at the breakdown after picking it up noticed they used spIII. Drives exactly like before and no new noises. Im assuming they know what they are doing being the main ralliart dealer in perth but wondered if anybody had any ideas.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Just realised what happened. The breakdown just had what oils were used and not where. So the ATF SPIII was used in the AYC, and what was written down as MMAL DIA QUEEN was used in the manual gearbox. And the diaqueen manual gearbox oil is gl4 so all good.

Would that be right, ATF in the AYC.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Correct :) Question - is that Mitsubishi GL4 synthetic, or mineral? If its mineral I'd change it to a synthetic if I were you - just because you got it serviced at a 'genuine Ralliart' service centre doesn't mean that much in Australia with our imported cars - there are plenty of stories floating around where Mitsi service centres have screwed up when working on our cars...

Just on the topic of gear oil, I changed my fluid to Castrol Syntrans a couple of weeks ago which fixed my cold gear crunching in 1st and 2nd, so I'm a happy camper :)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I agree with Trev.

I had my gearbox oil changed only a couple of weeks ago, using the Castrol Syntrans 75W-85 (fully synthetic).

Shift feel and effort has noticeably improved.

You will know that you have the right bottle because the back will explicitly state that it's for the Galant and 3000GT.

It comes in 1 litre bottles and you need 3 bottles for a full change.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Not sure if its synthetic but i checked and its the oil used in evo 8 and 9 manuals, 5 and 6 speed models and the guy said it was the oil recomended to use in a Legnum, i assume he means by mitsubishi.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I agree with Trev.

I had my gearbox oil changed only a couple of weeks ago, using the Castrol Syntrans 75W-85 (fully synthetic).

Shift feel and effort has noticeably improved.
Frustratingly I'd only replaced that oil 10k ago, but I knew the gear oil I'd used was a GL4/GL5 compatible lube so was aware it might cause problems with the synchro. Hopefully the Syntrans will wear better over time.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Wow maybe i should have read this thread first. I 'll express my experience here anyways, it may be of use to someone. Changed my Manual gearbox oil Yesterday. Don't think it had been done for sometime if ever :(. Gear changes had been a lil sticky but i have driven worse. When i droped the plug as per the guide it was full of metal shavings much like the picture on the guide and the oil looked like muddy water. I used a full synthetic 80-85w GL4 Oil at a cost of $25. Gear changes are deffinately smoother, i'm really happpy with the result.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Just fine paricles, it was like my sump plug had an Afro Bro #:)

Top Bottom