Biggest compressor housing for turbos

BR1JZL

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brian
Drive
EC5A VR-4 Galant
before everyone goes on about "use search", it's been covered x amount times etc, I just want to know the biggest compressor housing that can be fitted up with the stock manifolds (I know the td04 -13t off the Subaru are used because of the flange), without clearance issues, such as oil filter, and engine mount and fans. eg would a td04-19t fit if the flange was the same, etc.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
The tdo4 doesn't really fit without clearance issues. The oil filter needs to be relocated no real room for dump pipes the physical size of the 13t and 19t are the same. It's just internals that change.

BR1JZL

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brian
Drive
EC5A VR-4 Galant
oh ok, thanks Daniel. how does the car feel with td04-13t's? like when do you start to get boost and when does it plateau?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
oh ok, thanks Daniel. how does the car feel with td04-13t's? like when do you start to get boost and when does it plateau?
No idea. I haven't finished my kit yet. But I've been told it's about 1000rpm later. So nothing to bad.

Smanning2469

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Shannon
Drive
99 Mitsubishi legnum VR4
so all you've done is change the compressor housing on the stock 6ATT TD03's?
ive been looking at such a upgrade but couldn't find someone who has actually done it yet.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
No u have to get custom manifolds or weld the tdo4 exhaust housing to the manifold/modify manifold to suit the bigger turbo. There are no "bolt" in upgrades for the 6a13

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
If i was to upgrade to tdo4 or kkr280 do i need aftermarket computer or or will the factory ecu adapt with the turbos

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
If i was to upgrade to tdo4 or kkr280 do i need aftermarket computer or or will the factory ecu adapt with the turbos

It wont "adapt". You will require a retune as the map needed will be completely different. However no matter what stock ecu you have, they are all flashavle now. No need to go aftermarket.

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
Ok now if i where to mount these turbos on will it use more fuel than factory just say most of The driving is crusing mode thats with the flash tune or aftermarket ecu

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
Ohh also what happens if you leave the rear stock td03 turbo and upgrade the front will you get the best of both worlds
Rear will spool early
Front spool late

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Ok now if i where to mount these turbos on will it use more fuel than factory just say most of The driving is crusing mode thats with the flash tune or aftermarket ecu
Uhhhhhh what?
Ohh also what happens if you leave the rear stock td03 turbo and upgrade the front will you get the best of both worlds
Rear will spool early
Front spool late
Nope. Rear turbo will push air out the front turbo. Unfortunately that isn't how sequential turbos work mate.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
My dream build is a sequential "meat and 2 veg" set up. Stock turbos, with wastegates going to a bigger 3rd turbo.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
My dream build is a sequential "meat and 2 veg" set up. Stock turbos, with wastegates going to a bigger 3rd turbo.

Hmmmm would be ideal aye. Best of both worlds.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
That'd be called compound. Sequential is like the subaru setup on their Legacy's, where one turbo is not getting any exhaust for the lower rpm band.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
What happens on their small one when the big one comes on though? I thought compound just where one receives boost from the first one, increasing pressure more. On these cars you would still be limited by td03 airflow

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Use the big new one to push into the little td03s

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
Compound has the big turbo before the smaller ones, but the exhaust gases go to the smaller one first then the larger turbo.

Once the smaller turbos have spooled and the wastegates open, then the larger turbo spools.
The larger turbo will compress air and that'll go through the pipework to the smaller turbos, which then compress again (they don't care if the air is already compressed, they will compress it again) hence you end up with a LOT more pressure.
If the TD03s as an example were compressing 10psi and the larger turbo was doing 18 or so, then you would see maybe 24psi into the engine (have to account for losses).

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
The Legacies have a sequential setup - only one turbo is active at a time. It's got all sorts of piping and stuff to divert exhaust flow from one turbo to another.

Top Bottom