Boost Controllers

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
is there an easy way to do an electric type boost set up ?
i want to be able to lower boost on one setting as well as be able to run normal or up the boost.

whats do people recomend and do i have to take it to someone or can it be done by the average handyman etc

G

Unregistered
All you need is a dual stage manual or electronic boost controller
An example of the dual MBC on this site.
http://www.turboxs.com.au/productlist.php?cid=6
Then all you do is flick a switch inside the car so you can change from stock to high boost or however you set it up.

Also check out ebay for some more ideas, lots of electronic ones with 2+ settings. And some more dual MBC's

GeoVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
David
Drive
Galant VR4
hello everyone :) i am from georgia, nice site, i really enjoyed it :) i drive on galant vr4 1999, tiptronic, really nice car, with kakimoto racing exhaust, and it runs very well, now i want to boost up on 13-14 psi and i wasn not able to find the diagram about vacuum, so i did not understand where to install MBC.. please help me to find this diagram..thank you very much

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
have a look at the pipe that goes into the throttle body. There will be a red tipped black rubber pipe connecting to it. That is the one you want to cut and install an mbc in

G

Unregistered
What boost controller u running.

Hi guys. Just installed the Blitz dual sbc into the car yesterday. Just wondering as I am in kyrgyzstan and the guy who fitted it had experience with hks and greddy ones so he wasnt 100% if he installed it corectly.
Anyone got a blitz BC that can PM me to chat about how it was installed and what gain and ratio they are running.
I set the car for 1.1 bar boost peak warning and then got the gain set at about 15 and ratio at about 23 and the car pulls to about 0.9 - 1.05 bar in all gears.
Seems not bad and I will play a lot more once we install the dump pipes and exhaust but for now it pulls pretty well with stock exhaust except the cat was removed.
Any tips on what you guys found while tuning it and where the valve should be wired in to to get best results I will be all ears.
Cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Adam I've just moved a number of your posts into existing threads and some of the other mods have deleted a couple of your posts. Please take the time to see if there's already an existing topic covering your question before creating a new thread.

G

Unregistered
i need some clarification...im after a boost controller for the legnum and im able to get my hands on a turbosmart dual stage MBC for $80 but can also get an apexi avcr (boost controller) and greddy profec II EBC for $350 each.

obviously the avcr and ebc are better than the manual variety, but out of the avcr and the ebc, which would be the better/preferred option and why?

ive heard good things about both and its confusing me :banghead:

G

Unregistered
^^ lol.

cheers guys. im assuming the avcr has better 'control' over boost and has more levels of adjustments/parameters etc?

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
I've had both and the avcr does have better control over boost (more stable) you just set a boost level and away you go. The profec actually has more adjustments available but on the legnum it doesn't show any benefits. Get the avcr over the profecB II

G

Unregistered
My boost comes on hard upto 14psi then settles down to 12psi.
Is this normal for everyone else or should I fine tune the boost controller

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
I am seriously thinking of doing a first mod. However I am a noob in these matters. Tell me if I have it straight.

Galant, 97 VR4 - stock standard, tiptronic.

Basically the idea is to increase boost pressure.

Options

1) Mechanical boost device. $30 to say $400. Basically all it does is preset a max boost (or 2 or 3 or 4 presets for the more expensive models).

Easy to fit. Nothing needs to be done to the ecu. Just put the boost controller between the turbo and the wastegate.

2) Electronic boost controller. Does the above but electronically. More controll over boost settings. Cost upwards of $700

3) Piggyback ECU - say the Haltex E11. Does many things beside just electronically control boost. Basically need an expert to set it up properly. Capital cost approaching $800++, plus install and setup.

The way I see it is you spend a 100 or so and get a mechanical boost controller and just up the power and torque. Easy bang for your buck.

Or you can spend 700 to 1000 and get a piggyback ECU.

Is there a reason you would get an electronic boost controller as opposed to something like the Haltec? For similar money ones gives you many more options.

Would I be right in saying that for not much money, as a first performance mod a mechanical boost controller would be a fair start?

Is there a good reason to go for option 2 or 3 for a fairly plain stock standard car? My gut feeling is to spend around $150 on a good mechanical boost controller - maybe one with 2 settings (for everyday driving and for 'special' times). Is there really a need for 2 settings? I mean for everyday you just don't plant your foot if you want less power???

Final Q. One of the websites for the mechanical boost controllers said you had to deactivate electronic boost control in the ECU. Is this correct? From what I read above you don't do this.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I am seriously thinking of doing a first mod. However I am a noob in these matters. Tell me if I have it straight.

Galant, 97 VR4 - stock standard, tiptronic.

Basically the idea is to increase boost pressure.

Options

1) Mechanical boost device. $30 to say $400. Basically all it does is preset a max boost (or 2 or 3 or 4 presets for the more expensive models).

Easy to fit. Nothing needs to be done to the ecu. Just put the boost controller between the turbo and the wastegate.

2) Electronic boost controller. Does the above but electronically. More controll over boost settings. Cost upwards of $700

3) Piggyback ECU - say the Haltex E11. Does many things beside just electronically control boost. Basically need an expert to set it up properly. Capital cost approaching $800++, plus install and setup.

The way I see it is you spend a 100 or so and get a mechanical boost controller and just up the power and torque. Easy bang for your buck.

Or you can spend 700 to 1000 and get a piggyback ECU.

Is there a reason you would get an electronic boost controller as opposed to something like the Haltec? For similar money ones gives you many more options.

Would I be right in saying that for not much money, as a first performance mod a mechanical boost controller would be a fair start?

Is there a good reason to go for option 2 or 3 for a fairly plain stock standard car? My gut feeling is to spend around $150 on a good mechanical boost controller - maybe one with 2 settings (for everyday driving and for 'special' times). Is there really a need for 2 settings? I mean for everyday you just don't plant your foot if you want less power???

Final Q. One of the websites for the mechanical boost controllers said you had to deactivate electronic boost control in the ECU. Is this correct? From what I read above you don't do this.

An E11 isn't piggyback, it's a full standalone ECU in excess of $2000 without install or tuning.

Electronic boost controllers start around the $300 mark.

There's nothing you have to deactivate in the ECU, I tested a manual boost controller last week, just connect it up and off you go.

If you can afford to, get a piggy back (like the Interceptor Platinum) for around $700 + install and tuning and you'll have a much nicer car to drive with a substantial increase in power. Even with everything else stock. You should, at least, have a decent cat-back exhaust though.

G

Unregistered
yep, its literally that easy. chuck a bleed valve/solenoid onto the hose with the red tip on the elbow off the throttle body, and you are done!

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Sorry got my ECUs mixed up. I was checking out piggybacks ($700 - 1000 mark) - yes it was Haltec Interceptor ($891).

So basically for approx $1100 you get a piggyback ECU and tune = Better performance.

For around $150 you get a simple increase in power.

Is the difference worth $950? For well under a grand I could get a boost controller and a new exhaust.

G

Unregistered
boost controller + exhaust!

my car is stock, bar 12psi and a 3" catback, with a shitty compliance cat, and it's done a 13.76 down the 1/4 mile...

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
Mitchy what did you use to get the 12psi. Brand, cost etc

what about the catback?

Top Bottom