frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
just remember, any increase in boost pressure and your ECU is going to dump a heap extra fuel into the mix as knock protection. I'd say the interceptor is the best bet, unless you want to buy a SAFCII. On 12psi before i got the SAFC and 12psi after, i picked up 25kw at the wheels. this is how much extra fuel gets dumped in, killing your power...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Well i'm supposed to be cramming for an exam in 2 hours but instead I read this thread and went and purchased a turbotech off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turbotech-Pr...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

$20 free postage.

From reading the thread I can't see wtf you would bother with an EBC at all.

Now I just need to a decent BOV that I can strap a ring whistle too.

WaaaaAAAARRRP Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
WAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAARrrpp WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

My car has a blitz boost gauge already and I havn't seen it do more than 0.5 bar.

One of you lucky guys in NSW is going to help me install this and set it up!

Back to the point of a dual stage... if I keep it under 3k when everyday driving it's not going to boost anyhow so I won't use extra fuel right?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The ECU will still dump a certain percentage of air, though it won't be heaps, it will still be too much.

I need to get around to installing my turbotech and SAFC-II, I've been lazy.

Was there a thread floating around showing how to remove the stock boost solenoid?

G

Unregistered
" From reading the thread I can't see wtf you would bother with an EBC at all."
because this is what happens

img011-1.jpg

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Is that just to show that you can tune the EBC tuned your power up?
Wouldn't that just be because your increasing boost?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
From reading the thread I can't see wtf you would bother with an EBC at all.

You would use an EBC because it controls spiking and holds boost more consistently.....

I now run 13.5PSI.... I have never EVER had fuel cut, even in minus 10 temps under full throttle. Not many MBC users can say the same thing :)

G

Unregistered
hehe.. my MBC will hit 14psi with no cut, but tapers off down to 12psi high up.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Ahh K fair enough.

So why pay more than 1/2 the price of a haltech interceptor when it has EBC built in?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
hehe.. my MBC will hit 14psi with no cut, but tapers off down to 12psi high up.

Lol.... But does it get to -10 in Perth?

Or you may just have a freak VR4.... Kinda like a super, but owned by Mitch haha

Ahh K fair enough.

So why pay more than 1/2 the price of a haltech interceptor when it has EBC built in?

I don't think the Haltech has the "controlability" of EBC's but an expert will have to verify that.

I'm thinking of buying the Haltech, because the features it has for the price far outweighs the individual items. SOOOOO much cheaper in the long run lol...

G

Unregistered
Indeed i was showing that MBC can't hold boost and tends to spike. You'll find that when driving you may not catch it or the boost gauge wont show it. So while you think your MBC is great, it probably isn't.

Plus for the sake of an extra 200/300 bucks why would you risk detonation due to a 20 dollar mbc

I got my HKS EVCIII from japan for around 300 bucks.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Jacob you may find that the MBC did this due to the standard boost controller still being active. My Greddy EBC also did this, not as much, and as soon as I disconected the standard boost controller it was much more consistant with only a 1 psi drop. The tappering off of boost at high revs is normal and no boost controller will stop this.

G

Unregistered
The previous readout isn't on a vr-4, its on a ca18 where no solenoid is used.

While yes the boost can taper off in higher RMP's or spike, the EBC will counter act this by adjusting how much air gets to the wastegate while boosting. I never thought my MBC dropped until i put it on the dyno where is lost almost 6psi

I'm not saying they dont work, but for the sake of saving 200 bucks i wouldn't risk it.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
How do we disconnect the "standard boost controller?"

Jacob you may find that the MBC did this due to the standard boost controller still being active. My Greddy EBC also did this, not as much, and as soon as I disconected the standard boost controller it was much more consistant with only a 1 psi drop. The tappering off of boost at high revs is normal and no boost controller will stop this.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
With the Haltech Miniceptor you can get a Boost Solenoid that controls the boost through each RPM range..this is something I am looking at getting for my machine...

Lol.... But does it get to -10 in Perth?

Or you may just have a freak VR4.... Kinda like a super, but owned by Mitch haha

I don't think the Haltech has the "controlability" of EBC's but an expert will have to verify that.

I'm thinking of buying the Haltech, because the features it has for the price far outweighs the individual items. SOOOOO much cheaper in the long run lol...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
With the Haltech Miniceptor you can get a Boost Solenoid that controls the boost through each RPM range

Well there you go then :)

I assume it works at 500RPM increments?

And can anyone verify how well it controls this? Guys who own one by any chance?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have one, not installed yet though. Waiting on IC & exhaust upgrades before I bother.

Just to correct the earlier statement about EBC on the Haltechs, Miniceptors / Interceptors need the additional Boost Control Solenoid to control boost, it is NOT built into the standard unit.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Thats what I said, you need a Boost Solinoid to control the boost. It is about $125. I need to still disconnect the factory boost controller.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Woop Evo 7 bov from evolutionz.net for $15. HAha!

It's actually broken, the top mini nipple is snapped off... but for $15 I'll take on giving it a sound repair. Don't have much to lose for the price.

stockbov.JPG

Top Bottom