Boost gauge positioning

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
where is a good location to position the boost guage?

I definately dont want to go bolting anything to the main dashboard piece, and not a huge fan of sticking it on the steering wheel cover. I guess that leaves the only option of getting one of those built in pod things for the A Pillar?

On my GSR, I mounted it to the lower dashboard piece - near my left knee. Not a bad position except it wasnt easy to see when your driving hard - the good thing was though that it didnt stick out like dogs balls (I prefer a bit of a stealth type install with these type of things.

I have a double din cd player, so cant mount a few in the empty pocket.

Cheers!

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I've got mine under my stereo, so not much help there man. Joe's is in front of the temp gauge on the dash, and it's not a bad place to install it either. Good luck Simon :)

G

Unregistered
i didnt bolt mine, i got a shit gauge cup and used double sided sticky tape, its in front of the rev/temp gauge but when sitting in the drivers seat you can see upto 6,400rpm and the whole temp gauge.. how many times do you rev your car all the way to 7,000rpm!!!

G

Unregistered
So where the hell did u Tee off the boost line ? I just had a quick squiz under the hood and can't see any lines to use ...
Can someone maybe take a pic ... maybe I'll do a writeup once I get it in ...

G

Unregistered
Good question, I dont know where to plumb it in either, I am going to stick mine on the dash right over the drivers side down by the bottom of the pillar, dont want to make any holes though gonna try to get some good quality double sided tape.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Have a look in my members ride thread for a video of where I put mine on the dash (with a bit of a "what not to do" spiel...). There's a hose coming off the back of the plenum which I used - there's an article or two on ClubVR4 related to this,

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
Can someone with a mechanical boost gauge take some pics to show where the tube plumbs into to be able to read the pressure being produced.

G

Unregistered
So where the hell did u Tee off the boost line ? I just had a quick squiz under the hood and can't see any lines to use ...
Can someone maybe take a pic ... maybe I'll do a writeup once I get it in ...

i installed mine today, we can take photo's and do a write up of yours on the weekend :p

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Can someone with a mechanical boost gauge take some pics to show where the tube plumbs into to be able to read the pressure being produced.

plumb it anywhere after the throttle body, that's what i did with mine...

G

Unregistered
I think the hardest part is how the hell do u get it through the firewall ?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Diameter of hose: 6mm
Diameter of 3" holesaw: 76.2mm

That's an awfully big grommet you'll need for that!! :p

G

Unregistered
it can also provide in car heating for those winter months, and in car heating for those summer months too....

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I've just mounted my boost gauge in the little pocket that doubles as the fuse box cover. Suits what I wanted perfectly. I didn't want anything that's too obvious from out side the car, so being able to just close the door and hide it away is great. Besides, realistically there is no need to have a boost gauge visible for 99% of driving. You use it to make sure your turbo setup is boosting as it should be, then that's it really. Anything beyond that is just a wank really.

boostgauge.jpg

Top Bottom