Boost Gauges

G

Unregistered
Do all boost gauges work the same way and are the big name brands HKS etc any better than one from Repco or EBay, because I want to get one but am not sure wheither I should spend $40-50 or over $150-200.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
As far as I know there are all mechanical ie. you need to tee off from a vaccum line. I have used Autometer gauges in the past with good results.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
From what I've been told and the things I've read on the net the cheapies wont do as reliable a job as the better more expensive ones. Boost is something you really want to be measuring accurately too because if your pushing it hard you'll want to know exactly how hard.

G

Unregistered
i have a cheapie (40$) in my car and it reads exactly same as my $350 gizzmo EBC

mines an autoguage brand, ive had no probs with any off the 7 different styles of autoguage guages ive bought.

not all a mech, some use a pressure sensor in the engine bay and you run wires to the guage, these guages tend to be very skinny compared to a mech guage

G

Unregistered
i have seen the work of a shit cheapie, it was a tryhard delfi called TOSSA...(im sirious) the more expencive ones are made better with better quality parts.. im not sayin go out and spend $200 on one but dont buy one that isnt accurate

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
also got autogauge, easy as to install and had no problems with them... yet.. seems accurate enough..

happyvr4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charandeep
Drive
Mitsubishi legnum VR4
Autogauge is good, especially the one in black and tinted glass that performs an opening and closing ceremony- The stepper motor controlled one. I have one of this installed in black and it matches very well with the dash. - bought it for $80.

Accuracy seems good enough for me. How accurate would you want it to be anyway? Is +/- 1% good enough or would +/- 10% be o.k for some? Within 1% accuracy would mean a reading of 9.9psi to 10.1psi instead of 10psi while a max of 10% accuracy would mean a reading of 9psi to 11psi instead of 10psi. In practice very high accuracy doesn't matter much with needle type gauges because you could also have a wrong reading that is out by 10% just because the viewing angle is different.(due to positioning of the gauge).

One more thing to note is that ever since installing the gauge, I only looked at it for the first few days when I initially adjusted the boost. I now hardly look at it and only glance at it once in a while just to check that there is enough boost pressure(This is when I feel the power is a bit low). Usually if the boost is too high, you will hit fuel cut even before you realise that it is too high by checking the gauge. Also it is the aggresive buildup of boost that will do more harm to the engine, rather than boost of up to only 1 bar which is the max you might get without fuel cut.

G

Unregistered
Post up pics of where you've mounted that boost gauge peeps. Some eye candy never goes astray.

I particualy like the install of gauges into the centre consol, like Rich here:

100_34561.jpg

Top Bottom