Brake Pads & Rotors Database

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes' started by naughtika, Nov 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. naughtika

naughtika OzVR4 Stalker Moderator Trader

First Name:
    Christian
    Drive:
    '96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
    fellas, been thrawling through, I can't seem to find any threads about brake pads that worked well for our cars..

so, I'll start

Fronts
    Brakes: Stock PFL Brakes
    Rotors: RDA Slotted Rotors
    Pads: Bendix Ultimate - No Squeal, a bit dusty, very good for everyday driving - not for track..

Rears
    Brakes: Stocket PFL Brakes
    Rotors: Stock / OEM
    Pads: Never knew

Set 2

Fronts
    Brakes: Brembo EVO 8
    Rotors: RDA Slotted
    Pads:

Bendix Ultimate - Squealed like a pig getting raped by Paulie
    QFM HPX - Squealed alot but not as much as the Bendix Ultimate
    Elig 2021 - Occassional Squeal, but tolerable, a bit dusty though

Rear
    Brakes: Brembo EVO 8
    Rotors: RDA Slotted
    Pads: QFM HPX - no squeal, no dust

AKKO and rooks like this.
  2. lathiat

lathiat Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trent Lloyd
    Drive:
    97 Legnum (Manual)
    I am running QFM HPX here on standard rotors front & rear on PFL standard brakes, lots of dust, no squeal at all.. stops well.

3. Black_Ice

Black_Ice 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Aamir
    Drive:
    WRX
    I'm running RDA slotted rotors and RDA pads all round..no squeal but the rotors are'nt very good IMO..its just been a year since I got them and they are starting to warp (slightly..will need a machine soon enough)..and I dont do heavy breaking at all...

4. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Flaccid Member Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Matt :)
    Drive:
    1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2002 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S
    Front & Back: RDA Slotted with EBC Redstuff pads. Had them on since September last year.... hmm I'd better check the pads soon :eek:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. Hipsi

Hipsi Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Trav
    Drive:
    D40 Navara
    are you certain they're warped Aamir? the pedal can get a bumpy feel if they have been hot-spotted. Either way the only way to fix is machine or replace.

6. Mel-D

Mel-D Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Mel
    Drive:
    2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
    Front & Back: RDA Slotted with EBC Greenstuff pads had them on the car for around 3,1/2 yrs
    2 machined this year and the pads check still doing good

7. TME_Steve

TME_Steve 3 AYC Bars Trader

First Name:
    Steve
    Drive:
    2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
    Was:

Brake Configuration: Brembo Evo8
    Rotors: DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors all round
    Pads: Hawk HPS all round
    Fluid: Brembo 600
    Comments: Occasional squeal, mid range dust, overall good for street use, OK for track use but not perfect

Now:
    Brake Configuration: Brembo Evo8
    Rotors: DBA5000 2 piece front, DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors rear
    Pads: Ferodo DS2500 all round
    Fluid: Endless 650
    Comments: Originally heaps of squeal, tried everything until rotors were all machined on the car and now only occasional, more dust than HPS pads, overall good for street use but wouldn't go any more serious on pads as they get better with a few applications (they like being warmer, OK cold but better when warm), haven't been on the track but expect good things

In both setups only the fronts squealed and the fronts get really dusty and the rears hardly any, all as you'd expect. Also, I was hot spotting my rotors with buckled wheels, be wary of that, I would never have thought wheels could cause it but it certainly seemed to. That said there is a chance my hubs are a little out as I machined the rotors on the car last time to rule it out but now warping/hot spotting since.

As for a stock caliper etc setup, Paulies setup felt really good on the road compared to other stock caliper cars I've been in....

On this topic, does anyone know what a stock caliper weighs? A front Brembo weighs 3.5kg (rotors can all be looked up easily enough....)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. rooks

rooks Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Andrew
    Drive:
    2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
  9. marc.r

marc.r Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    marc
    Drive:
    purple legnum
    I had arm1 pads from qfm and they were
    Noisy scratchy feeling buggers especially when cold but they bit well. Downside is they really chomp your rotors. Now I've got bendix ultimate And while they aren't as sharp they are quiet I have had low dust and they are fine for going to the shops ad back! I rarely drive fast!

10. CANDEE

CANDEE Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Drive:
    1998 Galant VR4
    Std set up:

Unknown discs and pads all round - alright around town/openroad.

Same discs and rear pads with Ferodo GP-2 front pads - were fine till after they got taken on the track - afterwards had a front rotor that warped with heat and there was no feel from the front pads.

Current setup: TWL front rotors, Bendix Heavy Duty Pads, same rears as above, braided front lines, Super ATE Blue Fluid. - Not done many k's but they are pretty manky when cold and require a decent stab of the brakes to get some action. Am going to change the fronts to EBC Blues before the end of the month as am going onto the track.

11. CANDEE

CANDEE Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Drive:
    1998 Galant VR4
    Sounds like a Bendix thing... I spend more time off the brake with these pads... Even my cooked Ferodo's were better... lol

12. fieldy107

fieldy107 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Chris
    Drive:
    Galant VR4
    Had this setup on 2 cars now and results were the same...
    Front and rear
    Stock disc
    Stock pads
    Comments: serverly underpowered for street use, car park use, stopping cars rolling down hills etc. Warped and vibrate under light braking or more.
    Positives: great garden ornament if you are after that rusty look

13. VR457

VR457 Member

First Name:
    Jamil
    Drive:
    Legnum
    EBC Yellow Stuff on standard PfL. Very good improvement on stopping power, little or no squeal and minimal dust. There were lots of bad feedback for EBC but they were supposed to have improved quality last few years. Wanted Blue Stuff NDX but was too pricey.

14. AKKO

AKKO 2 AYC Bars Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Drive:
    1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
    Steve where did you source your DBA's from, also do you have the part numbers handy?

Front: DBA52218SL/SR ?
    Rear: DBA4419SL/SR ?

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  15. TME_Steve

First Name:
    Steve
    Drive:
    2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
    Not sure, the rears I'm pretty sure were 4419SL/SR but the 5000's I can't find on the DBA site, possibly discontinued as I know they have dropped heaps of their range. I would have thought 5something18SL/SR as you say but I can't tell.... I can ring up if you want.

16. AKKO

AKKO 2 AYC Bars Lifetime Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Drive:
    1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
    Thanks Steve, PM replied.

17. dwarfmarine

dwarfmarine 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Cameron
    Drive:
    Previous: Black PFL Legnum
    Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
    I've got DBA 4000series slotted rotors on the front with AR1M pads(QFM) and the rotors are minced after 12 months (on the 4th of July)
    they've got hairline cracks, hotspots and have worn down a good 2 mm or more!
    luckily, DBAs are covered by 12 month/20'000kms warranty and i found the receipt last week.
    so im gonna see about getting them exchanged under warranty this week.

18. it's.simon

it's.simon Leaving Skid Marks

First Name:
    Simon
    Drive:
    VR-4 Galant Type S
    AR1M as far as I'm aware is a track specific pad that will be very aggressive and eat through rotors on the street. Keeping in mind they are of a more aggressive compound that has a higher co-efficient of friction that although means it can handle greater heat, it also requires more heat to work at its best, temperatures which you will not reach in regular street use.

I think the reason why a lot of people run them is simply because they can afford to, they are a track pad that is the same price as high performance street pads from other companies. Unless you hit the hills regularly I don't think they are that suitable for street. For track use, pads are easy enough to swap in and out so you could swap them out once you're done.

On the flip side I used to go to the hills every week in my 180 with HPX pads and after every session the brakes will fade momentarily so I upgraded and problem was solved.

19. TME_Steve

First Name:
    Steve
    Drive:
    @ Cameron: Good luck, I really don't understand how this seems to happen to people, I really doubt that many people on here run their brakes as hard as I do unless they track the car regularly and mine don't have any adnormal issues apart from wear. But then I'm guessing your's are not Brembo's. Still....

Given the hotspots comment, do you cool them down before you come to a complete stop or do you run them hard then stop at a set of lights with your foot on the brake or something like that? While I say my brakes get used very hard at times they always get cooled down before coming to a complete stop.

@ Simon: I tend to agree, AR1M are a pretty high friction coefficient, I think higher than my 2500's which are about as far as I'd like to go for street use, but I guess people are compensating for lack of caliper and rotor by picking the better pad. Without going to the expense of Brembo's it's probably a valid option but like most modifications there s some downside.... (No downside to a tune though! :lol:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  20. dwarfmarine

dwarfmarine 1 AYC Bar

First Name:
    Cameron
    Drive:
    Previous: Black PFL Legnum
    Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
    Steve, I try not to stomp hard on the brakes, I don't brake to a stop, I try engine brake and cool the brakes when coming to a stop,
    but in saying that I do live up towards the mountains and give them a daily hills run.
    Both pads and rotors have approx 15'000 on them