Brake Pads & Rotors Database

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas, been thrawling through, I can't seem to find any threads about brake pads that worked well for our cars..

so, I'll start

Fronts
Brakes: Stock PFL Brakes
Rotors: RDA Slotted Rotors
Pads: Bendix Ultimate - No Squeal, a bit dusty, very good for everyday driving - not for track..

Rears
Brakes: Stocket PFL Brakes
Rotors: Stock / OEM
Pads: Never knew

Set 2

Fronts
Brakes: Brembo EVO 8
Rotors: RDA Slotted
Pads:

Bendix Ultimate - Squealed like a pig getting raped by Paulie
QFM HPX - Squealed alot but not as much as the Bendix Ultimate
Elig 2021 - Occassional Squeal, but tolerable, a bit dusty though

Rear
Brakes: Brembo EVO 8
Rotors: RDA Slotted
Pads: QFM HPX - no squeal, no dust

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I am running QFM HPX here on standard rotors front & rear on PFL standard brakes, lots of dust, no squeal at all.. stops well.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I'm running RDA slotted rotors and RDA pads all round..no squeal but the rotors are'nt very good IMO..its just been a year since I got them and they are starting to warp (slightly..will need a machine soon enough)..and I dont do heavy breaking at all...

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Front & Back: RDA Slotted with EBC Redstuff pads. Had them on since September last year.... hmm I'd better check the pads soon :eek:

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
are you certain they're warped Aamir? the pedal can get a bumpy feel if they have been hot-spotted. Either way the only way to fix is machine or replace.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Front & Back: RDA Slotted with EBC Greenstuff pads had them on the car for around 3,1/2 yrs
2 machined this year and the pads check still doing good

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Was:

Brake Configuration: Brembo Evo8
Rotors: DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors all round
Pads: Hawk HPS all round
Fluid: Brembo 600
Comments: Occasional squeal, mid range dust, overall good for street use, OK for track use but not perfect

Now:
Rotors: DBA5000 2 piece front, DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors rear
Pads: Ferodo DS2500 all round
Fluid: Endless 650
Comments: Originally heaps of squeal, tried everything until rotors were all machined on the car and now only occasional, more dust than HPS pads, overall good for street use but wouldn't go any more serious on pads as they get better with a few applications (they like being warmer, OK cold but better when warm), haven't been on the track but expect good things

In both setups only the fronts squealed and the fronts get really dusty and the rears hardly any, all as you'd expect. Also, I was hot spotting my rotors with buckled wheels, be wary of that, I would never have thought wheels could cause it but it certainly seemed to. That said there is a chance my hubs are a little out as I machined the rotors on the car last time to rule it out but now warping/hot spotting since.

As for a stock caliper etc setup, Paulies setup felt really good on the road compared to other stock caliper cars I've been in....

On this topic, does anyone know what a stock caliper weighs? A front Brembo weighs 3.5kg (rotors can all be looked up easily enough....)

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
I had arm1 pads from qfm and they were
Noisy scratchy feeling buggers especially when cold but they bit well. Downside is they really chomp your rotors. Now I've got bendix ultimate And while they aren't as sharp they are quiet I have had low dust and they are fine for going to the shops ad back! I rarely drive fast!

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Std set up:

Unknown discs and pads all round - alright around town/openroad.

Same discs and rear pads with Ferodo GP-2 front pads - were fine till after they got taken on the track - afterwards had a front rotor that warped with heat and there was no feel from the front pads.

Current setup: TWL front rotors, Bendix Heavy Duty Pads, same rears as above, braided front lines, Super ATE Blue Fluid. - Not done many k's but they are pretty manky when cold and require a decent stab of the brakes to get some action. Am going to change the fronts to EBC Blues before the end of the month as am going onto the track.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Now I've got bendix ultimate And while they aren't as sharp they are quiet I have had low dust and they are fine for going to the shops ad back! I rarely drive fast!
Sounds like a Bendix thing... I spend more time off the brake with these pads... Even my cooked Ferodo's were better... lol

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Had this setup on 2 cars now and results were the same...
Front and rear
Stock disc
Stock pads
Comments: serverly underpowered for street use, car park use, stopping cars rolling down hills etc. Warped and vibrate under light braking or more.
Positives: great garden ornament if you are after that rusty look

VR457

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jamil
Drive
Legnum
EBC Yellow Stuff on standard PfL. Very good improvement on stopping power, little or no squeal and minimal dust. There were lots of bad feedback for EBC but they were supposed to have improved quality last few years. Wanted Blue Stuff NDX but was too pricey.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Was:

Rotors: DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors all round
Pads: Hawk HPS all round
Fluid: Brembo 600
Comments: Occasional squeal, mid range dust, overall good for street use, OK for track use but not perfect

Now:
Rotors: DBA5000 2 piece front, DBA street or 4000 single piece slotted rotors rear
Pads: Ferodo DS2500 all round
Fluid: Endless 650
Comments: Originally heaps of squeal, tried everything until rotors were all machined on the car and now only occasional, more dust than HPS pads, overall good for street use but wouldn't go any more serious on pads as they get better with a few applications (they like being warmer, OK cold but better when warm), haven't been on the track but expect good things

In both setups only the fronts squealed and the fronts get really dusty and the rears hardly any, all as you'd expect. Also, I was hot spotting my rotors with buckled wheels, be wary of that, I would never have thought wheels could cause it but it certainly seemed to. That said there is a chance my hubs are a little out as I machined the rotors on the car last time to rule it out but now warping/hot spotting since.

As for a stock caliper etc setup, Paulies setup felt really good on the road compared to other stock caliper cars I've been in....

On this topic, does anyone know what a stock caliper weighs? A front Brembo weighs 3.5kg (rotors can all be looked up easily enough....)

Steve where did you source your DBA's from, also do you have the part numbers handy?

Front: DBA52218SL/SR ?
Rear: DBA4419SL/SR ?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Not sure, the rears I'm pretty sure were 4419SL/SR but the 5000's I can't find on the DBA site, possibly discontinued as I know they have dropped heaps of their range. I would have thought 5something18SL/SR as you say but I can't tell.... I can ring up if you want.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Thanks Steve, PM replied.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I've got DBA 4000series slotted rotors on the front with AR1M pads(QFM) and the rotors are minced after 12 months (on the 4th of July)
they've got hairline cracks, hotspots and have worn down a good 2 mm or more!
luckily, DBAs are covered by 12 month/20'000kms warranty and i found the receipt last week.
so im gonna see about getting them exchanged under warranty this week.

it's.simon

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
VR-4 Galant Type S
AR1M as far as I'm aware is a track specific pad that will be very aggressive and eat through rotors on the street. Keeping in mind they are of a more aggressive compound that has a higher co-efficient of friction that although means it can handle greater heat, it also requires more heat to work at its best, temperatures which you will not reach in regular street use.

I think the reason why a lot of people run them is simply because they can afford to, they are a track pad that is the same price as high performance street pads from other companies. Unless you hit the hills regularly I don't think they are that suitable for street. For track use, pads are easy enough to swap in and out so you could swap them out once you're done.

On the flip side I used to go to the hills every week in my 180 with HPX pads and after every session the brakes will fade momentarily so I upgraded and problem was solved.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
@ Cameron: Good luck, I really don't understand how this seems to happen to people, I really doubt that many people on here run their brakes as hard as I do unless they track the car regularly and mine don't have any adnormal issues apart from wear. But then I'm guessing your's are not Brembo's. Still....

Given the hotspots comment, do you cool them down before you come to a complete stop or do you run them hard then stop at a set of lights with your foot on the brake or something like that? While I say my brakes get used very hard at times they always get cooled down before coming to a complete stop.

@ Simon: I tend to agree, AR1M are a pretty high friction coefficient, I think higher than my 2500's which are about as far as I'd like to go for street use, but I guess people are compensating for lack of caliper and rotor by picking the better pad. Without going to the expense of Brembo's it's probably a valid option but like most modifications there s some downside.... (No downside to a tune though! :lol:)

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Steve, I try not to stomp hard on the brakes, I don't brake to a stop, I try engine brake and cool the brakes when coming to a stop,
but in saying that I do live up towards the mountains and give them a daily hills run.
Both pads and rotors have approx 15'000 on them

Top Bottom