Brake upgrades for Pre-facelifts

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
Not that i have a pre-facelift Legnum/Galant or anything, but i stumbled across some helpful mods for the front end. Some guys in a "regunamu" club in japan have done this mod and since all parts are available in Aust, and are much cheaper than brembos too i thought i'd spread the news.

Basically uses:
JZA80 TOYOTA SUPRA BRAKE DISC (TURBO DISCS)
R32 NISSAN SKYLINE TYPE-M (4 POT CALIPER)
RIMS 17X7.5J +46 (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, such as GTO rims)

Here is a link to a walk through by one of the guys in japan, so anyone else much more fluent in japanese feel free to correct me or confirm anything.

http://www.geocities.jp/tanabe51/brake01.htm

or translated

http://72.14.203.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja|en&u=http://www.geocities.jp/tanabe51/brake01.htm

This should get a few minds ticking.......:p

G

Unregistered
nice find sam!

i was going to see how my R33 calipers would go on the leggy today, but i didnt have enough time.

i have the 4 pot fronts/2 pot rears which use the same mounts as the R32 calipers, but are larger i think.

is that bracket they have custom? if so do you know if anyone has a technical diagram for it?

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
from what i can read which isn't that much, but they have not used any brackets etc... i think the only modification needed would be a braided brake line, but even then they could be the same brake lines. Hopefully when someone gets on here with some decent fluency in jap they can do a write-up for this.
Fingers crossed that its a bolt on process though. Remember the Brembo 2 pots still fit on the back if people want them on there, the front was the only one that needed to be changed.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hhhmm if this fits.. then i guess we can also use the Brembo's for the R32/R33?

G

Unregistered
its got a custom bracket.... you can see it in the pictures

without bracket.....

DSCF18541.jpg

with bracket....

DSCF18571.jpg

G

Unregistered
yep, thats thr bracket i was refering too Carsten.

the reason the skyline brakes would be easier to adapt is that the PFL hubs have 160mm between bolt centres, and the FL has 130mm between hub centres, so its hard to make such a small bracket to move a bolt 15mm in from each hub tab.

whereas the skyline has 100mm hub centres, so you have more room to play with, and by using 330mm JZA80 rotors, you can push it out too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
err i thought the PFL have 130mm and the FL have 160mm distance between the 2 mounting holes?

also i saw the bracket, i just chose to ignore it.. hoping it was just my imagination..

G

Unregistered
has anyone else noticed he's done this conversion on a facelift car,

its not a pre.

err i thought the PFL have 130mm and the FL have 160mm distance between the 2 mounting holes?

that is correct, facelift have the bigger spacing

G

Unregistered
thats interesting.... because i'm 99.999% sure my PFL super hubs have 160mm spacing between the bolt holes, and just assumed the other measurement of 130 must be FL.

perhaps it had brembo's over in japan? :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
one way to find out Mitch, go and buy a set of brembos and see if they bolt on :)

G

Unregistered
WRD on clubvr4 may have been looking at these before they ceased trading. I'm not sure as they did not mention what car they had taken the brembo's from but they would have been able to retain the standard disc but some mods were still required. It didn't go further though

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
hhmm how much brakeforce those these 4 pots provide? i thought that having bigger rotors=bigger mass=better stopping power?

I was closely watching that thread.. but yah unfortunately they ceased trading? did anyone managed to get info's about the project?

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
The initial braking also improved slightly, and then ever, "Oh oh, TOMARAN!" I have the feeling, "Oh oh, now working working!

LOL! dodgy translations :p

So who is going to step up and try this supra x skyline conversion??

G

Unregistered
i've been meaning to do it for a while now.. i've had a full set of R33 calipers in my shed for over a year.. just need to work out what size rotors i want to use (can fit something decent in 18's) and get the brackets made.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I'm probably going to grab the Z32 Alloy calipers and bracket them for a GTR V-Spec 324mm rotor. (I'm expecting Jungle to jump in here shortly :D)

G

Unregistered
i'm pretty sure the Z32 calipers are the same as a 32 GTR/33 GTS-t..

i was thinking evo 320mm rotor, or something slightly larger....

Top Bottom