Brand new clutch has apparently disintegrated!

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Just got word from snickells that my 5000k old clutch has apparently disintegrated, with friction material lining the inside of the bell housing.

I bought the clutch from a prominent motorsport workshop in eastern Melbourne. It is one they put together specifically for our cars.

They sold me the clutch but i had another workshop install it (was not going to pay for a tow from mentone to bayswater and back to have them fit the clutch in the middle of a manual conversion)

I'm going to need a new one, but what are my options? Has anyone else had this experience before with exedy/clutches bought from this workshop?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
NPC player.

nick's performance clutches could rebuild you a new clutch to suit what ever you need. would just have to freight it to QLD

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
as I understand it, a combination of the one you got and the evo kit....

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
NPC player.

nick's performance clutches could rebuild you a new clutch to suit what ever you need. would just have to freight it to QLD

Still haven't installed mine :angry: but they do look to be great quality and are rated for 300kW at all four wheels. I think it cost me ~$750 including freight.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Thats about what my one cost me. Might be a go.... Ill wait and see once steve's split the box and got the clutch out.

G

Unregistered
I'm not totally surprised, I had a prominent motorsport workshop in eastern Melbourne underfill my transfer case, overfill the diff and not top up the AYC reservoir. After correcting the levels myself, they have remained fine over multiple subsequent services.

cgunther

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
2000 Legnum
They supplied and fitted my clutch - no problems. Done about 20,000km since. Mine was just the heavy duty Legnum one (no buttons or evo).

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Turns out, after Steve split the box, the clutch is fine. There's a small ring that's popped out of place and that's what's caused all the grief. Clutch has been sent back to the manufacturer to test the spring pressure, as Steve suspects its too high, and that's why everything's popped apart.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Hmmm i have a sports organic too and it makes grinding noises when releasing. Also, some times it feels like the pedal is dead.

Let me know smitty, i suspect i am gonna come to the same fate as you..

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Interesting, let us know what you find. So what was all the crap in the bell housing then?

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Update: excedy have determined that the failure has been caused by the clutch being installed incorrectly. This has caused damage to the release bearing, wave spring etc and the clutch itself. It could be reinstalled but it'd probably fail again. So two out of two clutch installs on my car have both been fuckups. I'm back to needing a new clutch that I can't really afford and no car for fuck knows how long because the little retainer ring/whatever would have to come from o/s, which will take forever at this time of year.

Phooey.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I've obviously never tried putting the plate in backwards but would everything even bolt up? How can you fuck up a clutch install, unless it wasn't centred and they just pulled the box on using the bellhousing bolts...

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
When I originally did the manual conversion, I did everything myself except for installing the clutch/gearbox itself. The mechanic I hired to do that bit installed the clutch backwards somehow (snickells has the specifics) and didn't even realize. I picked up on it when, as we're attempting to bleed it, i noticed the release fork was poking out in the wrong direction (sitting away from the slave cylinder pushrod). Car was then whisked away from him and sent to another workshop, who discovered the first bloke had a) caused irreparable damage to the clutch, requiring replacement, and b) jammed the gearbox onto the engine. It would seem this second workshop, for all their cockiness, have fucked it again somehow.

So your answer Jon is apparently yes, it will bolt up. Or rather, jam on, causing many hours of frustration and a high labour bill.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Who did you speak to at Exedy?

I am going to have to get some idea of wtf is wrong and wtf i have to do.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
All the dealings with excedy were through tech-one auto. Snickells has all the details.

Also turns out that I think I was mislead, or misunderstood... The clutch I bought is apparently the run-of-the-mil mbk-7223 HD clutch. I distinctly remember being told otherwise when I bought it. Makes me wonder if anyone else has been mislead.

Is yours the mbk7223hd Scottie?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
wow that is shit on all accounts. warranty on labour and possibly parts?

Top Bottom