Brand New VR4 price??

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
I was wondering (as you do at 3.20 in the morning lol) how much the VR4's would have set you back when they were new?

Brad or Gly do you guys remember how much they where over in NZ at all?

cheers

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
when ralliart uk brought in 200 to the uk i belive they were about £35.000. but Kieran will correct me on this

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah when sold new in the UK they started at about 33000 and went up from there if you wanted things like sunroofs.

In NZ they were about $70k, and that was only for Galants, they never sold Legnums new here.

Things like the sunroof were about $2000, the MMCS was about $3000, and the Recaro's + Momo wheels were about the same.

The Jap price on them was about 2.8mil to 3.2mil as standard, but if you specced one up it could be closer to 4.0mil yen

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
so they were a pretty costly car when they where new then, good to see we are all get a bargain at the price we are paying :D

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I was wondering the same thing actually. It's scary to know you're sitting in a AUD$65,000 car and that's without the options!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
a bit more than a normal one - probably not too much though because they were used to get rid of the old prefacelift chassis's

G

Unregistered
When new in Japan:

1996 Galant VR-4 manual: 2,980,000 yen
1996 Galant VR-4 auto: 3,094,000 yen
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V manual: 2,673,000 yen
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V auto: 2,797,000 yen
2000 Galant VR-4 Type S auto: 2,981,000 yen

1996 Legnum VR-4 manual: 3,060,000 yen
1996 Legnum VR-4 auto : 3,174,000 yen
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type V auto: 2,880,000 yen
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type V manual: 2,975,000 yen
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S auto: 3,099,000 yen

To compare, 2000 model gay VE 2,000cc FWD model Galant: 1,670,000 yen. Don't know Super VR-4 prices, sorry. Prices don't include options or 5% Japanese consumption tax.

So, with today's taxes, exchange rate etc, to buy a VR-4 in Japan and bring it over it would have cost a bit over 40 grand.

G

Unregistered
In NZ they were about $70k, and that was only for Galants, they never sold Legnums new here.

Depreciation at its best ... Imagine buying one 8 years ago New ... U would be well pissed now.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Uc bought his one when it was one year old at the end of 2002, it was about $40k

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Depreciation at its best ... Imagine buying one 8 years ago New ... U would be well pissed now.
Yes and no - mitsis don't hold their value well, but the Evo does - there was a time when Evos were quite a bit more expensive in Aus second hand than they cost NEW, as they weren't available here initially. Given the Evo X will be an official channel import here next year, I think they will probably hold their value quite well if there is large demand, as you won't be allowed to bring grey markets in at ALL for these, so if there is limited supply people will fight over them...

If more people knew what VR4 Galants and Legnums were over here you'd find the price would get pushed up quite a bit. Personally I'm glad I'm getting on at the ground level ;)

G

Unregistered
A lot of people believe current Legnum and Galant prices in Japan are artificially low because of some safety scandals Mitsubishi had a few years back in Japan. A lot of Mitubishis (EVO's excluded) took a big hit in price over this time as the Japanese public turned away from the brand.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah thats quite well known. Also the Wikipedia page in Japan on them says that they weren't a popular over in Japan as the Legacys because the Legnums have a much better and more sophisticated suspension design which takes up more boot space, so the Jap's preferred the Legacys

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Mitsubishi's class action suit in the mid 90's in the US over the diffs in the GTO didn't help them there, either...

Their loss is our gain IMO :)

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I just found this thread and thought i'd add my 5c worth. I looked up on a website yesterday and they list price for 1998 Type s Legnum with auto had a list price of 3,990,000 yen but it said there wasn't black available?? Anyway it showed leather, woodgrain, sunroof were all options. Not sure what they would have cost at the time. Anyway I also looked up the yen - aus dollar for dec 1998 and it gave me a price of $43,900 aus. Obvioulsy I looked up all these details as my car is a dec 98 build. I am thinking that maybe black wasn't available in the 1998 cars and as my car was built dec 98 it was probably sold as a 1999 spec? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

G

Unregistered
totally off topic but, my dad bought a Mitsubishi Verada in 2000 for $47,000!

Got it valued for a trade-in a while ago, and they said $7000!!! ouch! same sort of deal i guess...:(

even though dealer prices are low as low....you still cant sell them privately for much more.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Even though the Super VR-4 is classed as a 1998, mine had a build date back in 1997. Again, they were to get rid of the Series 1 chassis.

Not that I minded that they filled it full of options like Momo and Recaro gear :D

Top Bottom