breaking clutch?

G

Unregistered
think my clutch my have broken a damper spring???!!

the other day when I released the clutch to back down the driveway,
my car made a nice loud clunk noise, sounded like someone hitting an anvil with a hammer,

since then my car has been making a weird clicking noise from the clutch/gearbox area at idle, sounds like a couple of small stones being spun around inside?

also when slowing down I can hear a clunking noise much like a worn out CV,
also I can feel some shuddering when engaging and disengaging the clutch thru gear changes, while speeding up and slowing down..

can anyone confirm my suspicion or any other ideas?

G

Unregistered
could be damper spring, or pressure plate release finger, is the clutch any harder to engage?

G

Unregistered
could be the thrust bearing.. they can rattle at idle..
does it rattle when you have the clutch in at idle?

G

Unregistered
noise goes away when i push it in at idle.

G

Unregistered
well that was quickly resolved.. now you can get a brass button clutch and put more power through you beast gly

G

Unregistered
nice new strong clutch, then chuck a big single on it. :D

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Um, hate to burst your bubble.

A damaged or dead thrust bearing, AKA throw out bearing, will rattle when the clutch is disengaged, ie pedal in, as there is load on it.

Input bearing in the gearbox will rattle when clutch is engaged, ie pedal out, as the shaft is now turning and hence the damaged bearing rattles.

it may not be either of these bearings, it may be something else altogether.

G

Unregistered
gear changes are still normal...

the sound disapears with the clutch pedal is pushed down....

its more of a quiet grinding sound now.

G

Unregistered
hmmm that word GRINDING with clutches and gear boxes in the same sentence.... good luck anyway gly what eva it is

G

Unregistered
gonna have a look thru the inspection covers in the weekend,
see if theres any bits in there....

gonna take out the gear box close to xmas,
so will hope it gets no worse and i dont do any damage till then...

also picking up a New Exedy brassbutton 5puk clutch kit in the next couple of days, (MKB 7223 HDB)

even if it isnt the clutch thats broken i may aswell put a better one in with the gear box out,

got my fingers crossed its not the actual gearbox or transfer case thats shitting itself!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
when clutch is to the floor, the gearbox is not rotating, hence the noise will disappear if it is the input shaft bearing.

I hope for your sake it isn't the box, and it is something in the clutch that will last till you get the new one :p

Top Bottom