Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Not that it helped me but did you grease all the contact points of the pad to the caliper?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Not at fist, but I've since taken all the wheels off again and I did the following:
  • Re-chamfered the leading and trailing edges of all the pads
  • Chamfered the sides of all the pads
  • Put some anti-seize grease on the pad slider plates
Took it for a drive, didn't squeal. I'm not claiming victory yet - it was raining.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
yeah i did all that too

chamfered all edges/sides
anti seize grease (three different kinds)
silicon jizz for the back of the pads
different pads
machined rotors
bled the brakes 4 times

i did the grease and chamfer on lukes, same thing. track fixed them for a while. the rotors glaze up fast like mirrors

race track fixed them after some pad could deposit on the rotor, but after a week they squeal again (no where near as bad as before though)

i think he has DBA rotors (remsa pads), mine are RDA(ebc red pads), yours project mu (project mu pads).. who the hell knows why they squeal

six decent stops and they might squeal again, i kept thinking i won... hopefully you have better luck

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
yeah, its too hard to keep pad material on the rotors on the street. might be time to put my rda pads back on for street duties as they are quieter and lower temp

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
mine use to squeal even when the brakes where hot put that brake copper grease behind the pads it stopped it now I only get squeal in the mornings when its cold when I hit the brakes couple of times very loud squeals then goes away every moring its the same annoying does anyone have this problem

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Well I know it has been asked numerous times on here, so figured I would weigh my Brembo's (5-9) and stock brake parts while doing the change out for everyone's future reference:

Stock Front DBA 4000 rotor - 6.7kg each
Stock Front Caliper with pads (70%) - 6.6kg each
Stock Rear DBA 4000 rotor - 6kg each
Stock Rear Caliper with pads (70%) - 3.6kg

320mm Evo Front DBA 4000 rotor - 10kg each
Brembo Front Caliper with new pads - 4.7kg
300mm Evo Rear DBA 4000 rotor - 7kg each
Brembo Rear Caliper with new pads - 2kg each

So the Brembo's weigh around 1.4kg more on the fronts (more unsprung weight and more rotational mass), but we save around 0.6kg on the rears (less unsprung weight but more rotational mass).

Interestingly if you could afford two piece rotors like DBA5000's on the front (9kg each according to the dba website), unsprung weight would be about the same as stock, but still more rotational mass...

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Now that my Brembo conversion is complete thought I would clarify a few things that I found difficult to decipher from reading through this thread.

Brake lines
:
Order a set of VR4 lines (ie from Hel) and have the rear caliper fitting changed to a M10 x 1.0 pitch male fitting (this will allow the line to screw into the rear brembo caliper in the same way the stock setup does instead of using a banjo fitting). Evo lines can work, but they are not ideal as they will rub on bodywork or suspension due to the design.

Mounting Hardware:
Front M12 x 35mm 1.75 pitch with a washer (maybe 2 washers if they are 1mm thick. 30mm bolts are too short even without a washer) in 10.9 Grade
Rear M10 x 20mm 1.5 pitch with a washer in 10.9 grade

If you want new stainless bleed nipples (my old ones were corroded and rounded), Hel make them at a reasonable price too.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Now that my Brembo conversion is complete thought I would clarify a few things that I found difficult to decipher from reading through this thread.
Brake lines:
Order a set of VR4 lines (ie from Hel) and have the rear caliper fitting changed to a M10 x 1.0 pitch male fitting (this will allow the line to screw into the rear brembo caliper in the same way the stock setup does instead of using a banjo fitting). Evo lines can work, but they are not ideal as they will rub on bodywork or suspension due to the design.QUOTE]
Great info there Rob for people considering it. I use evo lines, mine don't rub- I didn't do anything special to achieve this

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
No problem Simon. I did trial fit a set of evo 7 lines, but was not happy with the possibility of rubbing under suspension travel. Might just be my ocd.....

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Have to keep in mind that rear suspension doesnt really move much though

Albrek

Not really Beliebing
Lifetime Member
First Name
John-Paul
Drive
2008 Volvo V50 Turbo (220awKW)
2017 Ford Mustang GT (300rwKW)
1979 Honda Civic (probably 10fwKW)
2015 Yamaha XSR700 (?KW)
1991 Toyota Supra MA70 Targa (0KW, being restored)
Stupid question- if I already have a set of braided lines, can I take them out and have that fitting changed as required or do I need to buy new lines?

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Stupid question- if I already have a set of braided lines, can I take them out and have that fitting changed as required or do I need to buy new lines?
Rears can probably have fittings changed, fronts can be kept the same.

Anyway, came here to say I had bad brake squeal from my new pads and rotors once they got warm, possibly defeated it on the weekend by changing the shims from the fibre ones they came with to the metal shims my old, non squealing brakes had.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Rears can probably have fittings changed, fronts can be kept the same.

Anyway, came here to say I had bad brake squeal from my new pads and rotors once they got warm, possibly defeated it on the weekend by changing the shims from the fibre ones they came with to the metal shims my old, non squealing brakes had.

We did everything to one of the legnums in Melbourne. The new owner had genuine brembo shims installed. The kinda diagonal looking plates and solved the problem. I'm fitting brembos to the new legnum and will give them a shot as they came with two sets

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
The magic bullet to brembo squeel.
Factory rotors, factory shims, no greasing the slides pins or pad edges. And they dont squeel!
Had the same pad on 3 cars with the same result now too.
Wicked compound for trackdays without fade or loosing initial cold bite for street use.

Not cheap ~750NZ for a full set fronts and rears but worth every penny.

tmp_25227-20170512_151733-823026559.jpg

Top Bottom