Calibrated Fuel Gauge

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
So we all know that the fuel gauge in these cars isn't the clearest when it comes to determining how much fuel you actually have. This is due to the shape of the tank, being moderately wide at the top, narrow in the middle, and spreading out wide down the bottom.

Here is a fuel calibration card.

FULL tanks on these cars is 60.5 litres when filled to the point in the filler neck where the fuel pump contacts the fuel, and the needle will indicate halfway between the F and the top line.

Half way down the gauge is still showing a fraction under 40 litres, and when the needle is indicating the bottom 1/4 tank, you still have more than half a tank remaining.

The gap between 20 and 10 remaining is just one small tick on the gauge.

The low fuel light is designed to come on at 10 litres remaining, but in practise will come on from approximately 20.

Complete empty on the tank is indicated when the needle first touches the "E". Don't let it get that far.

fuelgauge.jpg

Lokz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Aloka
Drive
mitsubishi galant EA2A
Damn. All this time, I was going ape shit crazy on why the fuel gauge is acting all weird. I usually pump fuel when the needle is just below the 1/4 mark and was being suspicious of the floater in the tank since it usually takes about 30-35 liters to reach full tank. Thanks Lasiorhinus. Today I learnt.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
On top of this, my fuel gauge has always been affected by ambient temperature and/or time of day (seriously, that's what it seems like). The needle will vary by up to a quarter of the gauge between morning (higher) and afternoon (lower). But not always. When it's hot it will read lower than when it's cold. But not always. LOL

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
Mine seems to be half full about halfway between 1/4 & 1/2 on the gauge. I'm guessing varying readings between vehicles is due to different amounts of suspension rake front to rear when lowering.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Filled up today and notice the needle only on half on my way home this evening, seems stuck as doesn't move even with ignition off unlike the other gauges :-/

Might have to swap in my spare cluster to check on the weekend.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Cheers, was hoping someone would confirm as couldn't remember.

Will see how it goes this morning but it deffinately wasn't rising to the expected level.

That is unless I gained a bigger tank (A9X style) or fuel prices doubled :-/

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Topped up the tank this evening, gauge isn't rising past 2/3 and it took $35 worth onboard on top of $70 on Monday morning.

~50kms driven in that time.

Top Bottom