Camshaft Sensor Error - Legnum won't start

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Hi all,

I have just for my legnum all back together but can't seem to get it to start. I have put the car in diagnostic mode and got error code 3 which stands for camshaft sensor.

Where is the cam sensor located on a 6a13tt? And any ideas what would cause this issue?

Cheers

Blake

smellychodus

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
David
Drive
1997 Legnum vr4 Manual
Hey, I have just swapped mine out.

It is pretty fiddly to get to, luckily I had a few mates with a lot of tools to get it out. Here are some photos that should help. On that diagram it is part number: 14846
Cam sensor.jpg
pic1.JPG
pic2.jpg

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
What did you do to your car for you to put it back together ?

Because if you were maybe doing a service like spark plugs or gaskets or something like that, maybe you unplugged one of them by accident or both ?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey David,

Just out of curiosity what are the 2 plug that are located between the inlet manifold & throttle body elbow ? What are they for ?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
One is the knock sensor as shown in the diagram and the other from memory is fuel pressure cold start solenoid. I could be wrong on the second though

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
What did you do to your car for you to put it back together ?

Because if you were maybe doing a service like spark plugs or gaskets or something like that, maybe you unplugged one of them by accident or both ?

I have just finished replacing all of my valve stem seals, lifters, rocker seals etc, so the cams have been out. I checked the plug under that pipe and it is definitely plugged in.

I might have to start pulling stuff apart again tonight....
Hey, I have just swapped mine out.

It is pretty fiddly to get to, luckily I had a few mates with a lot of tools to get it out. Here are some photos that should help. On that diagram it is part number: 14846

Thanks David,

Why did you replace the sensors? Did they go bad? I find it strange that all of a sudden they would stop working on my car unless I have unplugged it or broken a wire somehow.

Did you have to take off the timing belt to do it, or is that just what you have done for another reason? I might have a look tonight

G

Unregistered
Hey, some of those pictures look familiar :LOL:

Yes the sensors can just suddenly die, but since you have been doing other work to the car then check it's not something you'd accidentally done or forgotten.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
It can be replaced with the timing belt installed (i have done it), but it is very tight access.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Is it back exactly where it was to start with, is there too much clearance between the sensor and pulley, no clearance at all..... Does the notch on the pulley when the motor is rotated intersect through the centre of the sensor?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Give the sensor and pulley a good clean too. A bit dirt can affect the sensitivity of a prox. I am sure that there would be a way of diagnosing the functionality of the sensor with a multimeter while rotating the crankshaft. Maybe one of the resident electromagnetic dudes can help out there....

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Is it back exactly where it was to start with, is there too much clearance between the sensor and pulley, no clearance at all..... Does the notch on the pulley when the motor is rotated intersect through the centre of the sensor?

It's quite possible that it isn't where it was originally. I had to pull the cams out to do the seals so also had to re-time the engine. Does the sensor need to be in a certain position at TDC? I know with other engines like SR20's they use a cog based sensor that needs to be properly alligned, but for some reason thought our cam sensors were just a sensor that senses a part of the cam shaft or cam gear. Any further info on how our cams sensors work?

Hopefully I'll get some time tonight to check this out.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
our sensors (cam and crank) does not require adjustment when installed...

also what can we use to clean it properly?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I work on a lot of synchronous drives and transmissions that use proxes and sensors and have faults like this all the time. I am just relaying my experience with troubleshooting that hopefully may help. We normally use alcohol wipes to give them a clean. You could use contact cleaner or even kerosene on a cloth. Anything that quickly evaporates without leaving a residue will work. Also look for any damage on the face of the sensor. Don't drown it in solvent and make sure battery is disconnected when you do this too.

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked it all out but all seems to be in the right positions and working. I think I'm just going to get it towed to a mechanic and have it looked at - just need it reliably on the road ASAP!

Any recommendations for VR4 workshops down south? I live in Sutherland (but happy to travel a bit for good service)

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Maybe for about the same cost you could get a reputable mechanic to come to you...

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Actually, this is probably worth checking incase it tripped it and it can happen sometimes for no reason.
If you have a test light, check all the fuses, because i remember on 2 occasions i had my fuse gone.

Once was when my fuel pump died and when i replaced it and the car will crack but didn't turn on, so i got it towed and i changed both crank and cam sensors and still nothing, so i thought i'd just check all the fuses incase and surely enough my engine fuse was gone, replaced it and turned on the first time.

And second was when i got my gearbox replaced, i picked it up drove it for about 20minutes and just died, would crank but wont turn on, i called the mechanic and he was leaving to come and check out my car, and i thought id just check the fuses and funny thing is my engine fuse was blown, lucky i had a spare in my car, replaced it and worked fine, i called the mechanic and told him and said maybe it blew incase it was a safety thing on the car.

He told me he was coming out and thinking it was cam sensor, lucky it wasn't.

Anyways my point to this whole story is its worth checking and if it is, then that will be a easy fix.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I'm pretty sure it's still unsolved

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Long story short, they believe it is the crank angle sensor. They have inspected plate that gives the sensor its signal today and it is fine I have ordered a replacement sensor sent to the mechanic directly which arrived today so will update when I have more info. Will put in more details once I have more time to write a post

Top Bottom