Camshafts..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas. I was talking to another member about camshafts..

would there be any point of upgrading the cams to a better set of profile?!

I've read somewhere that sometimes replacing turbo spec cams to NA spec ones.. they do better jobs/or somewhat give you better performance?!

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
Not knowing much about these engines I'd say there wouldn't be much point while you have minor mods.

Generally cams are the last thing to change after intercooler, exhaust, turbos. The cams are pretty well set up to the low-end nature of the stock turbo's and the nature of the V6. I wouldn't think about changing them unless I put some (or one) bigger turbo's on.

But then like I said I'm a noob to these engines and I come from 4 cylinders with big turbo's and 272 cams!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think i read in msport.co.nz that someone replaced their 6a12TT cams with a 6A12NA cams.. and worked like a treat..

gains vs cost wasn't much compared to aftermarket cams suited to TT models..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
fact is that we don't actually know what spec the stock cams are! Until we know that I don't think it is worth trying to put new cams on them

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
fact is that we don't actually know what spec the stock cams are! Until we know that I don't think it is worth trying to put new cams on them

That's spot on Brad. Put it this way, the cams from the NA nissan RB25 are the SAME as the turbo cams. So find out first.

If i end up rebuilding this motor, ill let you know what they are as i'll measure them.
But, cams would be one of the last things i would do as an upgrade. Shitloads to consider. A lot of the time, cams really aren't a bang for buk upgrade. ULNESS you go quite large.

On a nissan engine, every 7 degress of extra duration moves the rev band ~500rpm

G

Unregistered
We have sold our new billet camshafts to several 6A13 owners, and the HKS 272/.300" cams have produced some extremely good results. But there worthless with stock computer and turbo package. THese people are usually those with custom larger turbos and forged internals.

Being a DOHC engine, you can acheive a lot of vernier camshaft gears, but the stock profile on the engine is well suited to the stock setup and even mild mods. BUt realistically once you are pushing over 17 psi boost, they become restrictive.

We found from customer feedback that say 20 psi on stock cams, our HKS copies produced the same power at only 15 psi because of there more suitable profile for higher boost levels.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Dave - dyno it and let me know what the 272/.300 cams do :)And who was running 20psi? Was it the FTO guy with the big single?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Feel free to try it out on my car Dave and dyno it.

G

Unregistered
Unfrotunatly probably not its like a 10 hour job to do a set of camshafts in your car, and as I said earlier, its not justifiable unless you have better turbo's, more boost and probably aftemrarket ECU.

I don't anticpiate it will be a large seller for some reason, not to mention the cost of $2500.00 for the camshafts alone.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
so $2500 you reckon, and just to confirm, those are brand new ones made to VR-4 specs, not stock ones re-ground? They'd handle GT2554R's and 300kw ATW nicely?

G

Unregistered
These are brand new billets, we have never used regrounds, and these can be ground to whatever specs you like, although we have found as a rule of thumb, the HKS 272/ 300" lift profile is the most commen camshaft profile we sell for turbo cars. Use them in the 3000GT engines, 4G63, 4G93, 6A12 incl mivecs and they always, always make good power

Top Bottom